Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Today, Apple updated its iPod touch line to a 5th generation model which incorporates the same larger 4" screen as the just announced iPhone 5. At only 6.1mm thin and 88 grams, the iPod touch is the lightest iPod touch they've created. The new iPod touch also contains the A5 processor.

Apple is promising 40 hours of music playback, and 8 hours of video, slightly increased over the 4th generation Touch. The back camera is much improved to a 5-megapixel, backside illuminated, f/2.4, 5-element lens, with the same sapphire crystal lens cover as the iPhone 5. The front camera is also upgraded to a 720p camera. The new iPod touch also supports the new Panaroma feature and also includes Siri.

ipodtouch.jpg
Finally, there's hidden feature on the back of the new iPod Touch, called the Loop. It's designed to hook to a wrist-strap for added security.

The new iPod touch comes in five colors and will be available in October at $299 (32GB) and $399 (64GB). The 4th Generation iPod Touch will remain at $199 (16GB). Preorders for the new iPod Touch begin September 14th.

ipodnano.jpg
Apple also announced a radically redesigned iPod nano. The new iPod nano has a 2.5" screen and multi-touch interface. The design shares a lot of cues from the iPhone with the inclusion of a front Home button. The iPod nano includes an FM tuner, widescreen video, pedometer, Bluetooth, and the new Lightning connector.

The new iPod nano comes in 7 colors and will be available in October for $149. Preorders for the new iPod Nano begin September 14th.

The iPod Shuffle was upgraded with new color choices, but the same $49 pricing and 2GB capacity.

Article Link: Apple Announces 4-Inch iPod Touch, Multitouch iPod Nano

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Not sure what the hell Apple is doing with the iPod Nano these days, but by golly is that new iPod Touch killer.

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
Touch update is pretty good, but my god, that UI on nano looks FUGLY!

Last edited:

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Ugh. I really was excited for the new Nano until it was unveiled. The 4th generation Nano is definitely the best one to date.

Does anyone else think the new Nano is basically a white-faced Lumia?

nokia-lumia-800-01.jpg

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Ugh. I really was excited for the new Nano until it was unveiled. The 4th generation Nano is definitely the best one to date.

Does anyone else think the new Nano is basically a white-faced Lumia?

Yes, that's what it reminded me of. Though I like the new nano (the black especially, not keen on the colours). The new iPod Touch looks nice too, and the taller screen/16:9 ratio makes more sense to me on the iPod Touch than on the iPhone.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Still waiting on UK pricing. They are still going to be selling the 4th-gen iPod Touch so dont read anything into the 'From £169' price.

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
Reminds me of when apple used to put colors in their computers like the Clamshell iBook and the iMac G3's. I don't care if they look like children's toys, seeing these made me happy .

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
I was hoping for larger storage on the Nano by now. 32GB at least for the top end model. Oh well.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
The new iPod Touch has the new taller display of the iPhone 5, an A5 CPU/GPU, a 5 megapixel camera with an LED flash and Siri. Great!

But...

No GPS on the new iPod touch?
No camera on the new iPod nano?
Higher price for the new iPod touch?

At least, this might make my watch-style iPod nano go up in price. You know, the one some of us got as a replacement for our 1st-gen iPod nano with the bad battery?

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
How much RAM is in the new iPod Touch? I hope it has more than 256 MB of RAM or I won't be getting it.

Also too bad they don't have purple back iPod Touch. I will just get the white one with the silver back then.

krithikb007

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
India
ahhh again two pricing just like retina macbook
new iPod touch price is higher than old one :(
Good features though , again missing 3g/4g .

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Well, there goes the nano-as-a-watch concept. I hope those guys who got that massive Kickstarter off the ground for the nano watch strap have another business idea...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.