Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced a new model of earphones, dubbed EarPods, to be shipped with the iPhone 5, the fifth-generation iPod touch, and the updated iPod nano. EarPods will also be available as a stand-alone accessory purchase starting today and priced at $29.

The new earphones feature a revised design to better fit a wider range of ear shapes and sizes and direct audio straight into the ear canal. The EarPods will still have a 3-button remote to control volume and playback on compatible iOS devices and Macs.

Article Link: Apple Announces EarPods Earphones

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
It will be interesting to hear and feel them. I was not able to wear the old headphones. Far to painful for my ear.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Interesting, they aren't included with the Shuffle. Maybe that's a sign they aren't cheap.

What am I saying? :rolleyes: They are probably garbage.

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is the feature I am most excited about. I've always hated those ear buds, ever since the original ones. They're just uncomfortable. I hope these will feel better. They sure didn't design them to be pretty, anyway.

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
I don't know about the rest of you, but this is the feature I am most excited about. I've always hated those ear buds, ever since the original ones. They're just uncomfortable. I hope these will feel better. They sure didn't design them to be pretty, anyway.

Honestly, if you care about sound quality you should look into 3rd party in-ear monitors or studio headphones. Although you have to be careful not to overspend on those things // speaking of experience, I've arrived at UE 10 Pros right now :eek:

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I would say $29 since they will come w/ the new products as the standard headphone and that is the standard if I remember correctly.

I would have called them EarVaries instead of EarPods though lol:D

Edit: Yep, confirmed @ $29: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD827/apple-earpods-with-remote-and-mic

But are they sweatproof? I've shorted out more Apple Earbuds than I should probably admit...

Highlights

Designed by Apple
Deeper, richer bass tones
Greater protection from sweat and water
Control music and video playback
Answer and end calls

Zedsdead185

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2006
UK
they certainly look interesting. I would love to try them out and see if they do actually have improved sound over the last ones or whether the shape and jargon behind it all is just a bit of a gimmick.
I'm pretty sure they're not gonna replace my sennheisers anyway... could replace beats though... :rolleyes:

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
how is it inept? the TRS connector hasn't changed in the 80 years it's been around, other than going smaller and adding the extra connection.

I might be crazy, because I'm no audiophile, but I've heard of others complaining about Apple cheaping on this port.

Weren't audiophiles using the Zune HD and other expensive, specialized MP3 players with better headphone jacks because Apple's was bad?

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
I might be crazy, because I'm no audiophile, but I've heard of others complaining about Apple cheaping on this port.

Weren't audiophiles using the Zune HD and other expensive, specialized MP3 players with better headphone jacks because Apple's was bad?

I just don't really see how one jack can be "bad" over another, considering as long as it makes a connection, theres really no difference in quality, ( in know people will tout gold connectors and such) but if both connectors aren't gold, it doesn't matter.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
In-ear headphones have never, ever, worked for me, and the Apple earbuds are the only ones that provided a comfortable fit. So I've ordered a pair of earpods and keeping my fingers (and earlobes) crossed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.