Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scuwif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
London, UK
This week I have abandoned my PC and moved over to Mac. I soon discovered that synchronising my one-year-old iPAQ 6340 with Entourage (via a well-known conduit package) was an underwhelming experience. The seamless ActiveSynch experience with Windows and Outlook was missing. I've now flogged the iPAQ on eBay and bought a PalmOne Treo 650. Together with Missing Synch for Palm OS I now have a reliable and fully functional PDA/mac combination. However, with the success of the iPOD, I'm surprised that Apple haven't entered the PDA market--maybe it's just a matter of time now there are rumours of a phone in the offing.

What is the best PDA for Mac users?

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Scuwif said:
This week I have abandoned my PC and moved over to Mac. I soon discovered that synchronising my one-year-old iPAQ 6340 with Entourage (via a well-known conduit package) was an underwhelming experience. The seamless ActiveSynch experience with Windows and Outlook was missing. I've now flogged the iPAQ on eBay and bought a PalmOne Treo 650. Together with Missing Synch for Palm OS I now have a reliable and fully functional PDA/mac combination. However, with the success of the iPOD, I'm surprised that Apple haven't entered the PDA market--maybe it's just a matter of time now there are rumours of a phone in the offing.

here we go again

another thread of the apple pda lol

the best pda for mac is ...... whatever works for you - i have had palm t/t2/e and xda-hp1940 and they all seemed ok but did not have the wow factor .

maybe oneday we will see the iPda but not today

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
must....control.....fist......of......death........

there will not be an ipda.

it's just not feasible.

the market only exists among a small percentage of the general population.

go into your local target. how many pdas do you see? now, how many mp3 players do you see?

now go into best buy. same drill.

staples, compusa, all of them.

i am willing to bet that in the majority of the stores you will find significantly more mp3 players than pdas. The markets are vastly different.

Maybe, maybe, in a few years, when more of the population is computer-dependent, but i really, really, really, doubt it.

more likely, the ipod will develop along the same "pda light" qualities, and probably plateau where cell phones have...a calendar, maybe quick notes, and an address book. non-power users don't need much more, and since cell phones do that and keep it all linked there's not much chance of really competing, so much as complementing/matching. A well-reasoned argument against pdaphones, as an aside.

if you want a pda, buy anything put out by palmone. they are the most compatible, most mac-friendly, and imho make solid pdas. (i own and use daily a palm tungsten E)

and if you want proof my money is where my mouth is, read the sig :)

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
Scuwif said:
12" PowerBook? ;)
12indexdimensions04182004.jpg
Just kidding, but I wish an Apple PDA existed too. I'll probably end up with the 12" PowerBook instead. Pretty small and it does OS X :D

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Scuwif said:

Well Apple was in the PDA market before... and failed horribly.

Anyway how's the Missing Sync for Palm devices? I really, really hate Palm desktop (it actually adds a few seconds to my startup). I was going to look at missing sync, but heard no solid reviews with Palm devices (most people use Missing Sync for Pocket PCs anyway). So what's your verdict?

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
question fear said:
if your experience is as good as mine, it will be flawless! tungsten E is a great choice!
That's great to hear. I was debating between the Tungsten E and the Zire 71. I made the choice for the Tungsten, because it seems to have the edge on power. I'll let you know how it goes!

Scuwif

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
London, UK
How is Missing Synch for Palm devices?

7on said:
Well Apple was in the PDA market before... and failed horribly.

Anyway how's the Missing Sync for Palm devices? I really, really hate Palm desktop (it actually adds a few seconds to my startup). I was going to look at missing sync, but heard no solid reviews with Palm devices (most people use Missing Sync for Pocket PCs anyway). So what's your verdict?

Missing Synch is absolutely brilliant. And it works flawlessly with my new Treo 650 phone. I've been synching Entourage for a few days now and haven't noticed any problems. Last week (when I was still an iPAQ user) I purchased a rival synch program which offers Pocket PC synch with Entourage. I had loads of trouble and ended up with five open tickets with the developer. Sometimes it would run, sometimes it wouldn't (for no apparent reason). And when it did run I got data problems, particulary with dates in Tasks.

So I'm a happy bunny with my Treo. It even synchs reliably via Bluetooth, and this was something I never achieved with my iPAQ and Sony Vaio.

roadapple

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
I would like to see the iPod photo turn into a palm like device running OSX with wifi.

The mini and shuffle would retain their music first configurations.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
iGary said:
Not. Happening. Ever.

that is what i said 3 years ago regarding running mac os x with x86 processors. go figure.

on topic: i would need a palm-like device (or something like a tablet mac) where i can write down stuff (excel and or other office stuff) and sync when i get back from the field.

is there a pda that does this?

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Bibulous said:
Apple.PDA.Tuesday.

Of course, why can't you all simply believe Bibulous :p

The PDA market is very specific, and you would have to offer options to suit the needs of different users effectively. For Apple to start this would mean at a minimum two, prefereably three or four models offering different power/specs/wireless options/etc etc etc until the next Tuesday release of the iPDA v2.0

I don't even understand PDA phones personally. That is a ton of stuff up by your head, and it negates the whole portability. Hell, those are bigger than some wireless home-phone offerings currently on the market. Sure they can check email and do other 'neat' shi*, but they are huge and silly IMO. I have a Siemens S56 and sync it over BT only for contacts (easier to input numbers and data on PB and sync over to phone instead of 'typing' on the phone) and for calendar syncing solely so I don't forget important dates and phone-toos (since believe it or not I don't always have my PB with me).

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
question fear said:
we need a macro that concisely conveys the "no apple pda" message....edesignuk, where are you??

Ha, that would be great. We could put that, along with the "No Next Tuesday" macro (also in dire need of creation) as images right next to the MacRumors Forums logo on the front page, and every subsequent page in the forums, they could be like stickyd images :D

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
efoto said:
Ha, that would be great. We could put that, along with the "No Next Tuesday" macro (also in dire need of creation) as images right next to the MacRumors Forums logo on the front page, and every subsequent page in the forums, they could be like stickyd images :D

i hearby challenge the graphically talented among us to bring forth their macro visions!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
question fear said:
i hearby challenge the graphically talented among us to bring forth their macro visions!

Well by no means talented and by no means a great work, but I thought it was funny none the less.

Edit: I have no site access to host it and post it direct like a macro, and didn't feel like using ImageShack for said purpose for this thing, but anyway, you get the idea. That is simply to tide you over until a macro great comes and makes a true work of art ;)

Attachments

• tuesday_calendar.gif
    tuesday_calendar.gif
    48.7 KB · Views: 79

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I have the Treo 650, and so far happy with it. Though if Apple saw fit to give me an option to have a cell phone, pda, and an iPod in one unit on the Sprint network (OK, you all can stop laughing now :D , a man can dream - can't he?) I would have the killer product with me at all times. Did I mention that I would want 2 hours talk time, 8 hours iPod time? :D

Just thought of the perfect name for such a product (iPDA is so techie) - the Apple iDay! The perfect solution for your day-to-day life!

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
question fear said:
excellent!!!! high fives for you, efoto!!!

:waits anxiously for a <insert apple product here> next tuesday thread, cackling madly:

Ha, well thanks for the high fives, I always love slapping hands :)

My favorite part, which I just noticed (I did that very rushed yesterday, like I said not a 'great' job) is that the top of the calendar says "Denver Psychiatric" which is where all the NEW PRODUCT TUESDAY question/thread starters should go, a psych ward! :p

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
I actually think there will be a PDA announced. I have had the sudden urge to get one in the last few days - I have not read into getting one of them before. The last time this happened, I went out and bought my iPod and a new one was released the next week. And before that, a couple of days after I bought my dual G4, the new models came out as well..... :eek:

Let's wait and see.....

aussie_geek

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
aussie_geek said:
I actually think there will be a PDA announced. I have had the sudden urge to get one in the last few days - I have not read into getting one of them before. The last time this happened, I went out and bought my iPod and a new one was released the next week. And before that, a couple of days after I bought my dual G4, the new models came out as well..... :eek:

Let's wait and see.....

aussie_geek
Wouldn't that be great, after I just got my Tungsten E today. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.