Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

freelancing

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2007
The iMac is over 13 months old. This is ridiculous. When are they going to update the stinkin' iMacs?!

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
I was put off by the taller screen at first with all the rumors, but now that I'm seeing the final product I'm thinking it will be nice. I am due up for an upgrade and I think I will rather enjoy the iPhone 5, the extra pixels are always welcome and 4G will be very handy indeed, my 3G has been crawling as of late.

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Too bad im not eligible for a discounted iPhone on 2 year old iPhone 4 because I got married and put my wife on my contract. **** off att.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Slightly disappointed with the iPhone 5, but it's what we expected months ago from the rumours. It just seems like it's a spec bump, nothing major enough to call it an 'iPhone 5' IMO.

Nothing beat the iPhone 4 in terms of the greatest design and spec upgrade from previous generations. I think the excitement for future iPhones is going to die down. No doubt that Apple will probably beat their sales records for their iPhone, but that's just down to hype, gimmick and clever marketing.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
So NFC, and Apple changing the world with their bio-metric eWallet payment system won't happen till next year... :rolleyes:

They are already planning for the iPhone 5s(or 6... who knows)... watch out everyone, your Wallet will be obsolete by next September.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Hahahaha. When I saw what the iPhone 5 was I thought - 'Amazing industrial design, incredible spec, clever as hell, jaw-dropping engineering all over, great new ecosystem tools. Home run! This has made Samsung look like purveyors of cheap and nasty oversized junk.'

Come on here and it's a crap update and half of you are going Android. Well, enjoy your Samsungs.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
And Apple continues to trample the competition.

It's a wonderful update filled with the type of tech needed for its application.

I'll be grabbing mine as I absolutely loathe this Razr Maxx I have now. Not because the phone is horrible but because Android OS is the most irritating, clunky OS I've ever used - aside from BB's.

It does NOT even come close to iOS and anyone who says different is A. a troll looking for attention or B. a nerd who MUST "root" their phones so they can get that "uber", "epic" wallpaper they MUST have on their phone.

While these kids spend their time fiddling around with settings and directories I'll be running my life and taking care of real business via iOS.

I wouldn't call it trampling... there are some great devices out there right now. I love the iPhone and will be pre-ordering on friday to upgrade my iPhone 4. But lets be honest with ourselves Apple is not head and shoulders above the competition like they used to be in the smart phone market. I think Samsung (Galaxy S3) and HTC (One X) have caught up and some would argue have even passed Apple. But you're right about one thing iOS just works wonderfully and I am in the eco system because of how it everything just connects and works well together.

riam

macrumors regular
May 7, 2010
Mty, Mexico
Ok, Now Apple Confirmed what i suspected, Bye IPhone Hello S3, i don't believe they call this a major update, it may have all interior redesign, but for the public, what changes, just a little more screen and???? every thing else are just stupid changes and the screen, not enough......... Really Disappointed.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I find it so very hard to read these forums anymore. I just don't understand what people want. If you don't like the new iPhone, that is perfectly acceptable but I don't understand how people can claim that Apple isn't innovating. They took the iPhone 4s, made it thinner, made the screen longer, and managed to put more in it. Do people not understand the engineering that goes into taking technology and making it smaller and just as solid? You can claim that everything is minor specs but in one year, the engineering and design team at Apple has rewritten how technology can be used. How is that not innovation? Go to your Galaxy SIII. It will be "innovated" in the next couple months anyways.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Holy eff, $30 for the adapter? I know it's apple, but I would have hoped for something along the lines of $19.99 or $15.99 for a small piece of plastic. $40 for an extension cable.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

And the lightning to USB is only $20. Anyone care to explain?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD818/lightning-to-usb-cable

When you are the richest company in the world with all of your key product line sales volume ramped up pretty vertically and yet nothing in the form of a new product line to roll out and help maintain the momentum (should any of those lines start leveling off), a common tactic is to nickel & dime on accessories at very high profit margins so that if revenue growth vs. expectations ever disappoints, margin & profit can save the day.

It's been a while since Apple rolled out a genuine new product line (rather than just updates to existing lines). It's hard for a very large company to keep making ever-growing targets without new lines to add to total revenues & profits. There is great risk when existing lines are showing steep vertical angles of growth, as growth can only achieve so much vertical before it feels the pull of gravity and levels off.

What Apple needs is to roll out something very new... that is not a new iDevice or a new Mac. Some thinks that's a television but it's hard to imagine that one being the next iPad in terms of blowout sales. Maybe something else? But Apple's growth curve really needs that something else- whatever it is- soon. No growth can be steep vertical growth for sustained periods of time on a finite group of products.

If you think about iPod (2001), iPhone (2007), iPad (2010), there needs to be "next big thing" (2012) and next-next-big-thing (2014, maybe 2013). In other words, to feed the expectations with actual revenue accomplishments the pace of innovative new home runs must speed up. You can only go back to the same wells so many times before revenues will start falling short of targets.

Last edited:

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I find it so very hard to read these forums anymore. I just don't understand what people want. If you don't like the new iPhone, that is perfectly acceptable but I don't understand how people can claim that Apple isn't innovating. They took the iPhone 4s, made it thinner, made the screen longer, and managed to put more in it. Do people not understand the engineering that goes into taking technology and making it smaller and just as solid? You can claim that everything is minor specs but in one year, the engineering and design team at Apple has rewritten how technology can be used. How is that not innovation? Go to your Galaxy SIII. It will be "innovated" in the next couple months anyways.

It's just days like this. I find the real Macrumors forum members are in the "forums" pages themselves, not the article comments. The forum has always been great for help and advice.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Anyone know the full price for each of the iPh5 models? Lots of us will have to weigh the benefit of paying full price vs. Vz's penalty for early contract termination - not to mention loss of unlimited data.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Looks nicer than I thought it would but I'll reserve judgement until I get my hands on one. Disappointed about the lack of NFC and wireless charging. There's nothing really revolutionary in there to blow my socks off. I would have preferred a bigger screen rather than just taller. It will be very interesting to see how well this sells against the competition over the next year.

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
25441666.jpg

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
Holy eff, $30 for the adapter? I know it's apple, but I would have hoped for something along the lines of $19.99 or $15.99 for a small piece of plastic. $40 for an extension cable.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

And the lightning to USB is only $20. Anyone care to explain?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD818/lightning-to-usb-cable

:eek: Holy Jesus of Nazareth, that's bloody expensive!

I'm guessing there will be an influx of cheap quality converters from China available on eBay soon. There is really no reason to spend that much on a converter.

walterg74

macrumors member
May 4, 2011
does anyone know what type of sim card this new iphone uses? (and is it the only one or are do other phones use the same one?)

JSalig

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2010
I like the look of the back and sides. Very attractive. But I suppose most people will wrap it in a case so it hardly matters. It was damn good thinking on Steve's part to leave LTE out of the 4S because that's the only thing I see that would justify upgrading to the 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.