Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
By the way, is it me, or does the smaller pin looks woefully fragile as well?

A lot less fragile than the old connector, what with its paper-thin shell and sand-jamming narrow slot and itty bitty wires therein. A LOT less fragile.

And a lot less "dang, stuck it in the wrong way again".

mahk

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2004
Video/iPod Out?

On the Apple Store pages for the two adapters, they both have a warning about "Video and iPod Out not supported."

I get the video part, but does that mean I won't be able to use the adapter with the 30-pin cable in my car to play music?

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/05/apple-will-be-only-supplier-of-new-dock-connector-adapter/

So much for $10 each or 3 for $29 for those adapters. Well this sucks, hopefully there's some cheap knockoff cables on sites like Monoprice very very soon. Until then I suppose I'll just carry my one cable around in my backpack everywhere. Ugh.

Also: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD823/lightning-to-30-pin-adapter

Currently says "Available to ship: October"

So does that mean we can't even order one for a launch date iPhone 5. Another ugh.

imMango

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
USB 2.0 . lolol

This USB 2.0 cable connects your iPhone or iPod with Lightning connector to your computer's USB port for syncing and charging or to the Apple USB Power Adapter for convenient charging from a power point.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
On the Apple Store pages for the two adapters, they both have a warning about "Video and iPod Out not supported."

I get the video part, but does that mean I won't be able to use the adapter with the 30-pin cable in my car to play music?

WTF! What's this used for then? Charging and syncing only? If I can use this to connect a new ip5 to my car stereo, then I'm not getting an ip5.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
The adapters do not support "iPod Out"

Does this mean that line-level audio outputs are no longer supported?

If so this SUCKS! All the devices out there that let you dock an iPhone to play music will no longer work.

Nice going, Apple.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I will see this hurting Apple in the long run since all the manufactures are going to have to change the doc connector and anyone that uses all the annology outputs are screwed now.

What I see happening is the Apple dock connector being dropped by the manufactures and work with something that is not tied to a single OS as iOS is losing more and more market share by the day and that trend is not going to slow down for a while.

They want all that market so I see them going to something like blue tooth in the future.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Has to be USB 3 or Thunderbolt backed... potherwise, why name it Lightning?

This. I can't believe this is only USB 2.0 but given the silence from Apple I agree it must be. At a minimum Apple has to be thinking about using this connector for as much as 10 more years. So if it's not USB 3.0 today they need to be able to upgrade it in the future, when iPhone 6 comes out with faster connectivity.

But still. No USB 3.0 and it's called "Lightning"? Crazy.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This. I can't believe this is only USB 2.0 but given the silence from Apple I agree it must be. At a minimum Apple has to be thinking about using this connector for as much as 10 more years. So if it's not USB 3.0 today they need to be able to upgrade it in the future, when iPhone 6 comes out with faster connectivity.

But still. No USB 3.0 and it's called "Lightning"? Crazy.

yep. That would be yet another reason why I would not want to buy any device right now that use Apple's dock connector as I know they are going to have to change it in the next few years.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Adaptive.

I get this as meaning they can put pretty much anything on the other end. TB, USB2/3, Micro-USB, FW800, Ethernet, HDMI, whatever. Given everybody has a firm idea of what is critical to them, this seems a sensible way to end the war. Absolutely nobody currently craves the new plug, but absolutely everybody craves a different other end.

To Apple it was all about versatility, manufacturability, flexibility, strength, and above all else, space savings.

They probably got it about right considering their need to satisfy most of the people most of the time.

So far the existing adapters seem to be Lightning to 30-pin and Lightning to USB. I suspect each variant will be a standalone product. *

Rocketman

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/1...5-compatible-hdmi-and-vga-cables-coming-soon/

http://store.apple.com/fr/product/MD813ZM/A/apple-usb-power-adapter

Last edited:

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

If so this SUCKS! All the devices out there that let you dock an iPhone to play music will no longer work.

Nice going, Apple.

I was all psyched for today. Was 99% sure I was going to preorder a 5. Now, with the inability to listen to music in my car, I don't see myself preordering any longer. I don't want an iPhone I can't use in my car. And waiting for the accessory makers to make new accessories using the Lightening connection will be a slow process. This will be like going back in time when I couldn't use my first iPhone in my car.

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
I wonder what those people who insisted Apple would include the adapter with the iPhone is thinking now, after they personally vouched for Apple not being so greedy...

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003

That's what I initially thought too, but googling it, it looks like "iPod out" is a specific feature where the iPod's screen display is output to other devices (cars etc). But they should still clarify that.

Now, with the inability to listen to music in my car...

Don't jump to conclusions.

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
To support analog line out, it seems like a pretty simple solution would be to make a connector that plugs into the lightning port and to the headphone port at the same time. in fact, I wonder if this wasn't part of the reason for moving the headphone port to the bottom. So far we haven't seen any connectors like this, but I expect they'll be coming...

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009

The announcement noted "All-digital, 8-signal design." Ergo, no analog audio/video wiring to just connect in-product analog hardware to another device.

Yeah, backlash coming. I think it's the right move though; we're going into 2013 here and it's time to move away from analog interfaces.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.