Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
Ugh. I really was excited for the new Nano until it was unveiled. The 4th generation Nano is definitely the best one to date.

Does anyone else think the new Nano is basically a white-faced Lumia?

Apple reinvented the Lumia...LOL:D

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
The wrist strap hook looks annoying. Notice how it sticks out the back? This means you can't put your iPod touch on a flat surface. I bet we'll see damaged iPod touches because of this hook. One would hope that it could be unscrewed and replaced with a flat cap or something.

It's a button that pops out (and can be pushed back in). It's not always sticking out.

ToothTooth

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
The wrist strap hook looks annoying. Notice how it sticks out the back? This means you can't put your iPod touch on a flat surface. I bet we'll see damaged iPod touches because of this hook. One would hope that it could be unscrewed and replaced with a flat cap or something.

The wrist strap hook pops up when you press that little button on the back. Otherwise its flat and smooth on the back side.

http://www.apple.com/ipod-touch/design/

Gandir

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
OMG! What a blantant copy of Nokia!

OMG! Apple have copied Nokia Lumia for the new Ipod design, can't they have any own Ideas?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
The new iPod Touch now looks like a kids toy rather than a serious MP3 player which just sucks. The Nano was supposed to be for the kids while the grownups get a Touch. Why no 128GB version? That really sucks! Means I have to keep using my Classic for yet another year.

Why did they change the Nano format? That sucks! I was hoping they make it more like a watch not redesign to how it was before. Why the hell have the Touch and Nano both looking like kids toys - that's just overlap.

This is the worst ever iPod lineup. Are they trying to kill the iPod or something?

I just don't understand their logic. Kids today don't want an iPod - they want a cheap smartphone so they can txt their friends or check on Facebook or whatever. The iPod Touch should be for adults who like music, who maybe have another phone or don't want a smartphone, or people like me who like to put all my music on one device so I can sit and listen to it at home.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
iPod nano.

I don't like the icons. They should have used iPod touch springboard icons. That would be cooler.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
The new nano looks awesome. This is what I was hoping for. Well, wi-fi would have been nice too, for iCloud access. But the form-factor with the larger screen is what I was hoping for.

nemaslov

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
San Francisco
As long as the Classic still lives, they might as well up it to 360 GB. It would wake up sales for those of us who want to take as much music as possible with us. The cloud is too slow..

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Love both of these new designs, not crazy about the white face on the colored versions, but since there's a black version it doesn't really matter to me. And yes, the colored versions will sell just fine to girls and kids, everyone else will go with black anyway. And the nano looks no more like the lumia than it does like the earlier nano.

My only complaints are pricing on the Touch and only 16 gigs on the nano. $299 for 32 gigs seems high when the 7 inch kindle HD has 16 at $199 and 8 inch kindle with 16 also at $299. What price do they have in mind for the iPad mini?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I thought I was through buying new Apple products long ago.

...But damn, that nano is tempting. It reminds me a lot of the old iPod mini, my favorite iPod in the line. Only thing it's missing that would make it a no-question buy; a speaker, like the 5G had. Meh, probably a good thing overall, this way my rent will be paid this month. :D

Last edited:

Pianoblack3

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
Scotland
Well, i'm not sure wether to be happy, or sad about the removal of the chrome facia on the back… I guess I should be happy, however i'd like to see it again in the future.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
God I'm slow. I just noticed that the new iPod Touch only just got to the A5 processor, whereas the new iPhone gets the A6.

wickedking94

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
From a perspective of hardware, the new touch is a decent upgrade. The A5, screen, and camera improvements are a plus for me, and Siri on the touch without jailbreaking! But the only two that are nice to look at are the Black one and the white one with silver back. The rest look like kids things, i don't know anyone over the age of 10 who would want a brightly coloured MP3 player.

Also I was hoping for better pricing, considering the price for flash memory has gone down.

Color was okay in the 90's with the iBook and iMac G3 but I was glad apple was moving away from the bright colourful designs to more sleek an professional looking devices. Aluminum with black trim has a very nice contrast to it.

And I have to agree the new Nano looks terrible. Same with the touch I personally liked the Nano's with video playback better than the watch style one. This ones hardware would be great in a body that didn't look like a Nokia. This looks like some kind of Chinese iPod touch nock off. (no offense China)

Blu-Ray

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2008
Colorado
I think the updates to the Touch are great but have to say I'm disappointed about the lack of GPS. That one missing feature may likely keep me from upgrading from my 4G.

Aspasia

macrumors 65816
The iPod Touch should be for adults who like music, who maybe have another phone or don't want a smartphone, or people like me who like to put all my music on one device so I can sit and listen to it at home.

That's precisely how I see the fifth generation Touch. While I have an iPad which I adore, the Touch is more convenient while shopping, walking, etc. Can't wait to get my order in.

Don't like the bright colors? The black and white versions are quite sophisticated.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
The new iPod Touch now looks like a kids toy rather than a serious MP3 player which just sucks. The Nano was supposed to be for the kids while the grownups get a Touch. Why no 128GB version? That really sucks! Means I have to keep using my Classic for yet another year.

Why did they change the Nano format? That sucks! I was hoping they make it more like a watch not redesign to how it was before. Why the hell have the Touch and Nano both looking like kids toys - that's just overlap.

This is the worst ever iPod lineup. Are they trying to kill the iPod or something?

I just don't understand their logic. Kids today don't want an iPod - they want a cheap smartphone so they can txt their friends or check on Facebook or whatever. The iPod Touch should be for adults who like music, who maybe have another phone or don't want a smartphone, or people like me who like to put all my music on one device so I can sit and listen to it at home.

Because that is exactly what they were going for. The iPod line keeps getting less attention and colors believe it or not make kids buy more portables, just look at the nintendo portables. People love the purple ninty ones and even re-buy for colors. The iPod line is for kids and young adults, there is no denying it and by choosing these colors apple has decided to go full force on that age range. They are actually going to get more sales from the redesigns not kill it except the lumia nano :D. PS: Most grownups get an iPhone not an iPod Touch ;)

Wayfarer

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Nokia Lumia:

+

Sony PS Vita:

=

NEW iPod Nano (AKA Lumia Nano w/ Vita OS Mod) :D

This.

I've always been a fan of Apple hardware design, but for the first time I feel this product got slapped with the ugly stick. Another thing that's jarring is that white piece on the back of the nano. :rolleyes:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Ugh. I really was excited for the new Nano until it was unveiled. The 4th generation Nano is definitely the best one to date.

Does anyone else think the new Nano is basically a white-faced Lumia

Does anyone else think the Lumia design is based on what Apple’s been doing for years? The iPod Mini, and several different iPod Nanos including last year’s.

Just because Nokia copied the existing iPod Nano styling doesn’t mean Apple has to stop using their own styling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.