Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nanker/Phelge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Any thoughts on this guys? USB 2.0 doesn't really echo the new brand name...

Do you think the new iPhone will be capable of USB 3.0 transfer speeds down the line?

Nanker/Phelge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Apple's site still doesn't reflect anything. However, my guess is USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt. I'm leaning towards the first tho.

From Apple's website on the "Lightning to USB Cable" store link:

"This USB 2.0 cable connects your iPhone or iPod with Lightning connector to your computer's USB port for syncing and charging or to the Apple USB Power Adapter for convenient charging from a wall outlet."

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
From Apple's website on the "Lightning to USB Cable" store link:

"This USB 2.0 cable connects your iPhone or iPod with Lightning connector to your computer's USB port for syncing and charging or to the Apple USB Power Adapter for convenient charging from a wall outlet."

Just saw it before you guys posted. Simply, damit. Why?! Why USB 2.0? Archaic transfer protocol should die!

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
It says USB 2 on the store page -

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't think it would be thunderbolt, possibly 3.0 if we are lucky.

Yeah I am hoping 3.0 as well!

----------

It says USB 2 on the store page -

Well that was a stupid choice. If you are going to bring a new adapter at least allow it to use the latest tech!

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Then why say, "We have thunderbolt and now lightning" if they were not hinting at a future possibility of a lightning thunderbolt cable?

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
There's no reason for it not to be USB3. That's where they're headed with the laptops, so I'm voting on that. Just a thought.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
Big bummer if true. Probably biggest disappointment of this phone for me. This plus being able to use the phone as a portable storage device would have been killer.

Nanker/Phelge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
Big bummer if true. Probably biggest disappointment of this phone for me. This plus being able to use the phone as a portable storage device would have been killer.

You can do this via a variety of 3rd party apps already, just sadly at USB 2.0 Speeds.

protobiont

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
You can do this via a variety of 3rd party apps already, just sadly at USB 2.0 Speeds.

With no need for iTunes? I want to be able to plug into a friend or colleagues computer for example and be able to stick a few files on my phone. No iTunes, no special software needed on the friends's computer... and just drag and drop using windows explorer. Can you point me to app that allows this, or something similar?

Nanker/Phelge

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2010
With no need for iTunes? I want to be able to plug into a friend or colleagues computer for example and be able to stick a few files on my phone. No iTunes, no special software needed on the friends's computer... and just drag and drop using windows explorer. Can you point me to app that allows this, or something similar?

Hmm...I don't recall. I wish they'd bring iDisk (MobileMe) to iCloud though as you could do what you are explaining through a web portal...

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
That's weird. I assumed it was USB 3, as well. I know they say everything is wireless these days, but you still need to download photos and videos via cable unless you use iMessage to send them to yourself, and downloading videos from my iPod touch into iPhoto takes a very long time, seemingly longer than it would for files of the same size to be moved from an external hard drive to computer via USB 2, so I was hoping for an upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.