Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
So if we go with Orange or T Mobile we'll get our EE 4G signal?

No, you won't. EE customers can use the existing 3G network, but Orange and T-Mobile customers cannot use the LTE network. Essentially, the brands Orange and T-Mobile will eventually die in the UK as people move to EE.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
I will be staying with giffgaff, because I have sanity.

You cant beat unlimited data, texts, and 250 mins a month for £10, as well as being on the best UK network (O2).

Screw LTE. Most of the country wont be able to get it anyway. It'll be for the upper class only.

Saying that, if the bump in prices are anything to go by, a 64GB iPhone 5 would cost £729, in which case my middle finger will be swiftly rising and pointing in Apple's direction while I skip over to Amazon for a Galaxy S3.

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
My concern is that I'll end up paying £629 to get it unlocked and then EE come out and say their 4G tariff is for contract only customers....ie defying the point of paying all this money for it to be unlocked with no contract.

What's the odds of them doing this?? I'd only want a sim-only deal!!

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
My concern is that I'll end up paying £629 to get it unlocked and then EE come out and say their 4G tariff is for contract oly customers....ie defying the point of paying all this money for it to be unlocked with no contract.

EE have already said there will not be PAYG on LTE for the foreseeable future.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
My concern is that I'll end up paying £629 to get it unlocked and then EE come out and say their 4G tariff is for contract oly customers....ie defying the point of paying all this money for it to be unlocked with no contract.

I believe EE have already said that at the beginning the only way to get 4G is through a contract with them... No one knows if it includes sim only contracts.

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
EE have already said there will not be PAYG on LTE for the foreseeable future.

Well there u go then, so basically if u want to take advantage of LTE in the UK then there's no point in pre-ordering one from apple store unlocked!!

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Well there u go then, so basically if u want to take advantage of LTE in the UK then there's no point in pre-ordering one from apple store unlocked!!

nope, unless you want to jump ship in the future or don't want to be tied to a 24 month contract.

EE said:
Will 4G be available for pay as you go customers?
There won’t be any pay as you go plans available on EE at launch but look out for great pay as you go offers on EE in the future.

http://ee.co.uk/faq

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009

We don't know about SIM only contracts yet.

Anyway, I'm not moving since there won't be LTE in my area for a while anyway so I'm hoping giffgaff will support Nano SIMs ASAP so I can get on board quickly.

----------

Where are you guys getting £529 from?

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone

hvfsl

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2001
London, UK
My concern is that I'll end up paying £629 to get it unlocked and then EE come out and say their 4G tariff is for contract only customers....ie defying the point of paying all this money for it to be unlocked with no contract.

I think you are a brave person to buy a sim free iPhone at this point.

I would have thought they will announce before Friday or risk people buying from other networks.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
The Apple store website. Cant find the 32/64gb prices, but we're all guessing its £629/729 :/

This would be horrendous!

Non-UK countries to go up in size for iPads is the same price as for iPhones. But in the UK it costs more to go up for iPhones :/

Hopefully this is them turning around to go maybe £529/£599/£669 or something...

Arline

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
My O2 contact is over now so I'm free to get an EE contract (LTE won't be in Cambridge until 2013 anyway).

duction

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
U to the K
ive posted on the o2 forum about nano sims and they said they would release details on the nanos will be made available within the next 2 days

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.