Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Was thinking about switching to Verizon but no longer. Not if I can keep my grandfathered plan. Smart move, AT&T.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
How about the LTE data pricing, do you have to pay more like the 2G to 3G? If so how much more?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
You know what this means? Buy unlocked iPhone 5 handsets and bring them to T-Mobile for $20 unlimited, unthrottled data :) enjoy faster HSPA+ than any other carrier in refarmed markets, and rest assured that your phone will switch over to LTE in 2013! :D

Perhaps, but it will be a few weeks before the unlocked versions are available. Also, hopefully T-Mobile ordered a bunch of nano-SIMs, but that should be less of an issue since they are easy to make.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
I knew they would do something to the grandfathered data holders. If anyone thinks 5 gb is enough think again. On LTE you'll burn that up pretty quick. I know I did on my GS2

James

jlgolson

Contributing Editor
Jun 2, 2011
Durango, CO
I have the original grandfathered unlimited deal from the original iPhone and am currently using the 4S. I just ran the upgrade checker (link) and it tells me I qualify for an upgrade at a higher price. It also stated "Some services on your current device may be replaced by similar iPhone services during upgrade."

I wonder what that's all about?
The name of the unlimited plan changes from "Unlimited 3G" to "Unlimited LTE" or something like that. Other than that, it's the same.

maniaco007

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2008
San Francisco
€20 ALL unlimited in France for a while

It's incredible that plans in the USA are around $100/month.

Here in france, we have unlimited plans (talk/txt/data) for €20/month. That's UNLIMITED on 3G and now LTE all over the country, great coverage, etc... From ALL carriers!!!

Something's wrong in the US!

steph280

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Orange County, CA
Just wait until the French carrier realize their network is saturated with iPhone data, and then scramble to expand the bandwidth and modify its pricing plans...

BulkHedd

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2006
I knew they would do something to the grandfathered data holders. If anyone thinks 5 gb is enough think again. On LTE you'll burn that up pretty quick. I know I did on my GS2

James

Really? Because it seems to me that the only way you burn through your data is if you use MORE data than before. If you do the same types of browsing it should be the same amount, just faster.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Hmmmm....I was all geared up to switch to verizon thinking I was going to have to change to a more expensive plan on ATT.

2 iPhones on verizon sharing 4GB of data would be $150+tax plus you get the mobile hotspot included. Also includes unlimited voice and texting. Verizon shows LTE coverage all over portland, oR.

Right now I pay $115 w/ my work 18% discount including taxes on ATT with 2 iPhones, unlimited data, 700 shared minutes which we never use, but no unlimited texting and no mobile hotspot . But data speeds are horrible at my work on ATT, like dial up speeds, but is it worth spending another $50 a month on verizon? No LTE service up here in Portland either on ATT...hmmmm

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007

James
Agreed. But there aren't any better options out there. Verizon has the best LTE network but you'll pay through the nose for it. Sprint's is almost nonexistent. T-Mobile won't have theirs ready until the iPhone 6.

philr5150

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2010
Omaha, NE
People hate AT&T over this, but I don't see screams over Verizon forcing people to give up unlimited.

I wouldn't bet on it - I just ditched VZ for this reason and went to Sprint. Yes it's a slower network but there's a principle here. The phones are already overpriced and VZ do a great job of wringing every possible cent out of you. At least with Sprint, $79 for everything unlimited and more minutes than I use, you know what you're getting.

Joel H.

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Those on old tiered plans

I'm on the DataPro 2GB for $25 plan. Will I be able to keep my plan as well while upgrading or will I have to switch to one of the new Tiered plans such as the DataPro 3GB for $30

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Really? Because it seems to me that the only way you burn through your data is if you use MORE data than before. If you do the same types of browsing it should be the same amount, just faster.
No you'll use more data. You'll end up browsing more because you'll have more time to do it since you won't spend as much time waiting for pages to load. (But to be fair, browsing doesn't eat up as much data as streaming videos, which you can't consume faster.)

igetit

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2005
Snoqualmie, WA
Unlimited my arse!:mad: If I can have Facetime is not unlimited. If I am getting throttled after 5Gb is not unlimited. AT&T can shove it...:mad:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
VERY glad I dropped that grandfather plan the instant I could. I have saved $5 a month for all that time. I knew that one of two things was likely:

1. I’d never need more data.

or
2. By the time I did need more data, the grandfathering would turn out to be vapor... and AT&T would not give back my $60 a year!

That’s $120 I saved over the life of the phone... practically pays for my iPhone 5 :)

DigitalJedi

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2009
Does anyone know if At&t will be offering the early upgrade price like they have done in the years past, because it says that I am only allowed the 1 year pricing. Thanks!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Lol id kill for 5GB ... All plans in Germany r unlimited but they trottle u to 64kb/s after 200-500mb on most "unlimited" plans

cshsia

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
New York, NY
Does anyone know if At&t will be offering the early upgrade price like they have done in the years past, because it says that I am only allowed the 1 year pricing. Thanks!

I think we're all waiting for AT&T to be nice and surprise us. I can live a few more months on my 4S, but my sister's 4 is falling apart after repeated pavement drops, and she won't qualify until November....

nws0291

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
No you'll use more data. You'll end up browsing more because you'll have more time to do it since you won't spend as much time waiting for pages to load. (But to be fair, browsing doesn't eat up as much data as streaming videos, which you can't consume faster.)

I have the unlimited LTE plan with ATT and I have used the same amount of data as I usually do. It's not astronomically faster that you can magically save enough time to consume more data. The data just works better when you need to use it. Getting 20-22Mbps down reliable is really nice.

ZennZero

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2008
London
It's incredible that plans in the USA are around $100/month.

Here in france, we have unlimited plans (talk/txt/data) for €20/month. That's UNLIMITED on 3G and now LTE all over the country, great coverage, etc... From ALL carriers!!!

Something's wrong in the US!

Really? Here in Germany, that would be an absurdly low price. A comparable package to that would run closer to €100. Check out Vodafone.de if you don't believe me ("Handys & Tarife" then "LTE-Smartphone Tarife").

minisquid

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
I think Verizon still allows for unlimited data...you just have to buy the phone at the unsubsidized price.

i-John

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2008
The Republic of Texas
Greed.

If you throttle my data after 5 GB, I'd expect to be able to use my data however way I want. If I want to FaceTime for days over my LTE connection and use it up after a day, so be it. I barely even use FaceTime; and when I do, there are very few to zero times that I'm not actually near wifi, mine or public.

I am happy, however, that they're still letting grandfathered customers keep the unlimited. Even if it doesn't truly mean "unlimited" (which is a marketing term at best).

All about pennies, nickels and dimes.

What does it say about people who want all the bandwidth they can use and not pay for it?
They (as well as Sprint, tMobile and Verizon) are a for profit business. Putting up towers, investing in the backhaul costs MONEY. If you want the speed and data, you have to pay money for it.

----------

I think Verizon still allows for unlimited data...you just have to buy the phone at the unsubsidized price.

But it's AT&T who are the greedy ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.