Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Am I missing something? Why not just buy an iphone for the same price?

To get an iPhone at those prices you are signing a two year contract that will cost you money every month. But I do see your point, if you want a phone and an iPod touch- the iPhone makes a lot more sense. I don't get people that own both.

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!
All I want is an iPod Classic with more storage. My 160GB is almost full and I have no idea what I'm going to do when it finally fills up, definitely not buying an iPod Touch with only 64GB of space. I have my iPhone with iTunes Match for music on the go; my iPod is so I can have all my music in my car and when it is full there will be no other options out there for me in the iPod family.

Shoot, I'd be willing to pay Apple to upgrade the HDD in my iPod if they offered a service like that.

UFB. All these years and still no memory bump. :mad:

They said it's "better in every way." I guess more memory doesn't count. Total deal breaker. I'm tired of waiting. Can anyone recommend a decent music player with more than 64GB? :confused:

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Well, there goes the nano-as-a-watch concept.

With the departure of nano's design...any chance of an official iWatch type device is gone then? :(

Why did they change the Nano format? That sucks! I was hoping they make it more like a watch not redesign to how it was before. Why the hell have the Touch and Nano both looking like kids toys - that's just overlap.

I like the 6th/7th gen design. I can use it as a watch and a music player at the same time (and often do at the gym)

I liked the watch concept too. The previous design was also a nice way to differentiate the Nano, as a truly tiny but capable music player, rather than a touch screen computer (which the iPod Touch is).

There was a lot of complaining though when the last model came out, with people harping back to the design and features of previous Nanos… I wonder if Apple didn't just show that they're capable of caving to perceived public opinion, rather than forging ahead with something genuinely different.

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
the new ipods look just bad to me.
the ipod nano is a nokia lumia.. and it show that the old design was wrong, i dare everyone to say the opposite, the old ipod nano was uselessly designed. at least this one has some ergonomics.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
The iPod Touch looks good to me—a substantial upgrade from the previous model when you consider the camera and additional speed/power (capable of AirPlay Mirroring). I don't agree at all with the commenters who claim that the Touch is for adults where the Nano is for kids. The Touch is a great device for kids who love music and gaming, but don't need (or have parents willing to pay for) a mobile phone.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
One thing.

Okay, so the iPod Touch update is good, but why does the iPod Nano keep undergoing redesigns? O_O

VeganHipster

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2011
Ugh. I really was excited for the new Nano until it was unveiled. The 4th generation Nano is definitely the best one to date.

Does anyone else think the new Nano is basically a white-faced Lumia?

Thats funny you say that, because I remember when the Lumia came out everybody was bashing on it saying it looked like a stretched out version of this.

hero_ipodnano.jpg

The 800 model looks to me like blown up iPod nano...

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
There goes the hope for reasonably priced iPad mini. I predict it's going to be $399 seeing how much Apple wants for iPod touch.

swissmann

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2003
The Utah Alps
Nano mistake

Just want to chime in that the nano is backward step. Best design ever was last generation. Very small with a clip and touch screen. I wish they had kept it and just added features and capacity.

Heres to hoping that the next generation comes back this direction.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
The iPod Touch looks good to me—a substantial upgrade from the previous model when you consider the camera and additional speed/power (capable of AirPlay Mirroring). I don't agree at all with the commenters who claim that the Touch is for adults where the Nano is for kids. The Touch is a great device for kids who love music and gaming, but don't need (or have parents willing to pay for) a mobile phone.

It's a great device for anyone who doesn't want to get charged out the rear for Data. The iPod Touch has always been about 1 gen behind iPhone Hardware. I just wish they'd brought the prices down a bit. 299 is still kinda much.

If they had done 269 and 369 I think it'd be a far more attractive device. A new Nintendo 3DS is 169 and can't hold a candle to the extended software abilities of the iPod Touch 5. When you start factoring in 3DS single game cartridge costs 30, where iOS games in the same quality rage are at best 15 (most are less), that extra 100 dollar price difference would disappear quick.

The Touch works well for kids and adults, and actually for much the same uses.

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!
Is there some technical reason why they can't go beyond 64GB? iOS restriction maybe? I just don't get it. They disappointed me again. :( I really thought this would be the day that we finally see 128GB in an iOS device.

What does 64GB of memory cost these days? Not much, and even less in the quantities that Apple buys. Can someone shed some light here?

----------

128GB thumb drives are $29 on ebay. :confused:

mganai

macrumors member
May 24, 2011
It's a great device for anyone who doesn't want to get charged out the rear for Data. The iPod Touch has always been about 1 gen behind iPhone Hardware. I just wish they'd brought the prices down a bit. 299 is still kinda much.

If they had done 269 and 369 I think it'd be a far more attractive device. A new Nintendo 3DS is 169 and can't hold a candle to the extended software abilities of the iPod Touch 5. When you start factoring in 3DS single game cartridge costs 30, where iOS games in the same quality rage are at best 15 (most are less), that extra 100 dollar price difference would disappear quick.

The Touch works well for kids and adults, and actually for much the same uses.

Still could use physical controls.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I see them all the time w/ young kids. High school 9-12 grade students tend to have a smartphone instead though. They promote the iPod for gaming and many see it as a handled alternative w/ very cheap games which works great for kids since the parents pay the similar costs to a handheld, but games can be had for really cheap or free versions. Colors matter more than you think w/ kids also.
Why do you use both though? I have a 6gen Nano, but don't see many that have both an iPhone and a Touch since they are the same size and can do similar things.

I use both coz I use my iPhone as a phone come PDA with various apps and some music. However I use my iPod Classic to store my entire music collection. It's nice to have everything on one device I can leave in the house and sit and listen to music in the evenings. I was hoping to finally trade in my Classic for a Touch but I'm not prepared to spend all that money and drop down to 64GB so I guess I'll just keep the Classic for another year.

What you're saying is that kids 9+ usually have smartphones these days. I would agree with that - so why make an iPod Nano and an iPod Touch both for the under 9's market? How big is that market? It seems to me like the Nano and the Touch are aimed at the same people which is kind of stupid. They both look like toys. No self respecting adult would be seen with the new iPod Touch. The previous design looks much better - more stylish and professional. I just don't see the logic. I think this will be a huge flop and we'll see iPod sales fall through the floor over the next year. Honestly the iPod is a dead man walking from what I can see today.

ThatDeafGuy

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Is there some technical reason why they can't go beyond 64GB? iOS restriction maybe? I just don't get it. They disappointed me again. :( I really thought this would be the day that we finally see 128GB in an iOS device.

What does 64GB of memory cost these days? Not much, and even less in the quantities that Apple buys. Can someone shed some light here?

----------

128GB thumb drives are $29 on ebay. :confused:

My guess.......they wanna do a massive push soon and try to persuade all the Apple followers to move their stuff to the iCloud for a premium fee then stream from there. Just my two cents.

Shame as I too was looking forward to a 128GB Touch.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia

Apple maintains its high margins I'm sure, but there are other ways to judge a price. Like you pointed out, you get fantastic value with software from the App Store. IMO, developers are the ones subsidising the overall cost of these devices (a bit like poker-machine players subsidise the cost of your cheap meal at a club). It's unfortunate for all the developers who never break into Angry Bird sales territory, but for the consumer, it's excellent value. And when you consider that an iPod Touch is really a pretty powerful computer, a games device, a high-definition video camera, and now a reasonable still camera, (not to mention its communication potential when connected via wi-fi), packed into a pocket-sized device—it's still mind blowing that you get all this for the price. (At least it is for an old timer like me who's been following tech for many years.)

MaxGravy

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2011
Texas!
My guess.......they wanna do a massive push soon and try to persuade all the Apple followers to move their stuff to the iCloud for a premium fee then stream from there. Just my two cents.

Shame as I too was looking forward to a 128GB Touch.

The touch is only wifi, so the cloud is worthless if you listen to music outside.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
No self respecting adult would be seen with the new iPod Touch. The previous design looks much better - more stylish and professional.

Why's that? Because of the bright colours? So get a black or a white one—they're still available. These actually look like an improvement to me, because they've replaced the sharp tapered edges with an edge that looks far more comfortable to hold. Aside from this (and the taller screen of course) the design isn't all that different to the previous model!

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Sorry if this has been asked to death, but I wonder why the iPod didn't get the A6 proc like the iPhone 5? Is it just so Apple could just upsell and say "Ooh, the iPhone's better! Buy it instead!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.