Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coldsnow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Apple sues Samsung over a copied design. Then does this to Nokia:

Sw6TLl.jpg

cmIcGl.jpg

Thoughts?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
I agree with stetrain. When the Lumia 900 came out, I thought it looked a lot like a nano2G. Unfortuately, the Lumia is made of plastic, not anodized aluminum.

The nano7G is just design iteration of the nano2G, nano6G and the iPod mini.

ADDED - also, the nano and the Lumia are not similar devices. One is an mp3 player and the other is a smartphone.

ADDED 2 - there was a prototype iPhone that had the ipod mini type shell with a full length touchscreen and a home button. That prototype would be what the nano7G most looks like.

Screen-shot-2012-07-29-at-L-6.jpeg

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2007

Two things I dislike about the new Nano:

1) the colors are strangely muted. Compare them to above and hopefully you'll see what I mean. The old color pallet just seems to pop out and catches the eye. These off-pastels just don't do it.

2) the off-brand circular UI - why? What was the point of differentiating from the full iOS? Even the old nanos had an approximation of the iOS chicklet icons.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009

1) the colors are strangely muted. Compare them to above and hopefully you'll see what I mean. The old color pallet just seems to pop out and catches the eye. These off-pastels just don't do it.

2) the off-brand circular UI - why? What was the point of differentiating from the full iOS? Even the old nanos had an approximation of the iOS chicklet icons.

I think that with the taller screen and home button it would be much more likely for consumers to think that it really was a full iOS device, so they tried to make it obvious that it was distinct from iOS despite the other similarities.

I agree though that it looks kind of weird.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Apple sues Samsung over a copied design. Then does this to Nokia:

Thoughts?

You meant to say Lumia looks a lot like previous iPod nano?

----------

Agree. I would buy the old nano instead. Color is bad. White bezel looks bad. And the circular icon looks bad.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Also looks a lot like the previous nanos and minis:

Sure, but it looks a hell of a lot more similar to the Lumina 900 then any previous ipod.

Even if you put two previous nanos together it does not look as similar as it does to the Lumia 900.

And given the legal battle with the Ipad and samsung recently, for Apple to release something that looks so similar to the Lumia facepalm!

Had it just been the shape of two nanos on top of each other, cool I can handle that, with the hope button there, looks like a Lumina.

We just won a victory against samsung around design, for people to claim the nano and lumia are not very similar is just hypocritical!

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Sure, but it looks a hell of a lot more similar to the Lumina 900 then any previous ipod.

Even if you put two previous nanos together it does not look as similar as it does to the Lumia 900.

The flat top and bottom and rounded sides with a brushed texture dates back to the iPod Mini and second gen iPod Nano. The iPhone prototype above shows the same basic design applied to a phone, which looks a whole lot like a Lumia.

The specific design of the new nano, with the inlaid screen on that extruded body shape, is exactly the same as the previous nano, just longer:

yup.gif

The thing that seems really unique to me about the lumias is the way they do the curved glass and how the front of the body is contoured to meet the glass instead of being flat. The new nanos don't really do that.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2005
Apple sues Samsung over a copied design. Then does this to Nokia
Thoughts?

If anything Nokia took equal parts of the 5th and 6th generation Nano designs to create the Lumia and as pointed out the new Nano is just a longer version of the previous one. Lumia does look nicer though.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004

And given the legal battle with the Ipad and samsung recently, for Apple to release something that looks so similar to the Lumia facepalm!

Had it just been the shape of two nanos on top of each other, cool I can handle that, with the hope button there, looks like a Lumina.

We just won a victory against samsung around design, for people to claim the nano and lumia are not very similar is just hypocritical!

Come on, we all have eyes. This is silly. The new nano looks like the old nanos and minis. So does the lumina. This is sesame street stuff.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Come on, we all have eyes. This is silly. The new nano looks like the old nanos and minis. So does the lumina. This is sesame street stuff.

Are you saying that apple invented the rectangular shape?

Yes we all have eyes, but some of use choose to have selective vision.

And yes spot on sesame street stuff, you looking at if from the point of view that apple invented and patented the rectangle..... To me the current lumina and nano look very similar, and I have owned every generation of nanos, and fail to see the resemblance to the lumina.

If anything both the lumina and nano look closer to the Zune HD.

----------

Lol.... Someone needs to photoshop that image to make the white plastic on the nano black to illustrate how much of a blatant lazy ripoff it is.

After the whole Samsung legal battle, why on earth would you go and launch this nano, is apple really that arrogant???

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Lol.... Someone needs to photoshop that image to make the white plastic on the nano black to illustrate how much of a blatant lazy ripoff it is.

After the whole Samsung legal battle, why on earth would you go and launch this nano, is apple really that arrogant???

It's not a copy though. Both companies approached that design through a clear evolution of their products. Nokia would have no case against Apple (just as Apple would have no case against Nokia, should they try to sue).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
But surely.....

So the Nano looks like a Lumia 900, but surely the Lumia 900 looked like a Lumia 800, which even more surely looked like a Nokia N9 ?????

nokia-lumia-900-black.jpg
L 900 a copy of
nokia-800-ofic.jpg
L 800 a copy of
Nokia-N9-00-cyan.jpg
Nokia N9

all of which surely are being recycled in 2012 into

nokia-lumia-920.jpg

So Nokia N9 released 2011, yet surely Nano's with similar look back to 2009.....

Mmmm i'm surely not convinced, surely i'm not........

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.