Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaMF

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
So there are numerous threads about this, but they all fall under now irrelevant topics, and I guess we need a fresh Topic.

I can start by posting yet another Shipping rumor adding to what Digitimes and Product-reviews repported earlier this week.

http://worldnewsresource.com/2012-i...i-and-13-inch-macbook-pro/4664/elaine-solomon

My best guess atm is primo Oct, but I have no idea if it will be silent or it will be at the iPad event. I don't think they will silent refresh it if they changed anything major about it (designwise), and if they launch the the rMBP 13" at an event, the iMac will be launched at that event as well.

Lets hear more speculation guys GO!

Last edited:

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Tomorrow we have 500 days since the last update :rolleyes:
Would be a really cool date to release a new one ;)

Sadly no, now there is the iPhone5 and all new iPods. So there will be no new hardware for a minimum of 2 weeks and then its almost october. All is pointing to the iPad-mini-event. I would say second week of october! :rolleyes:

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I've too lost the will to be optimistic. I think I'll keep a low profile for a couple of weeks and check in a bit less frequent. This time apple has managed to wear me out - i don't think I dear to think there will be a new machine for me for a while. I'll just check in now and then hopefully we'll get a bit more imac rumor once the worst iPhone *****torm is over.

-SD-

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Peterborough, UK
I really didn't expect any new Macs yesterday, even silent updates, as the entire even was focused on iPhone and iPods, as it normally is around this time of year.

However, if there is going to be an even in October for the iPad Mini I reckon this is when the iMacs will be updated. Either silently when the Store comes back up, or maybe even featured in the Keynote if the only other thing to talk about is the iPad Mini.

Except I'm after a new Mac Mini and I have a nasty feeling that it's not going to see an October update. If it doesn't, then we're on at least march next year until there's a new one available.

:apple:

Ktulu

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Brownstown, MI
Gut Feeling

Assuming that the iPad Mini is true and is going to be revealed at the still to be confirmed October event, someone please correct me if this event has indeed been confirmed, I don't recall, I don't see them using this to announce a new/updated iMac.

My gut is telling me that a new product release would not share the stage with a product update. This event will be for the iPad Mini and that is it, maybe iTunes since they mentioned that was coming in yesterday's event.

I think it will be a silent update for the iMac, and if so, it can happen at any time. Remember the Mac Pro, if I am remembering correctly, was done just a few days after WWDC.

Just my 2cents... Any thoughts?

davidgnomo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2012
Imola (BO) - Italy
I still think there's probably going to be an iMac this year, but all this deceivement has really made me mad : a couple of weeks ago I would have bought a new iMac almost unconditionally ! Now I think that even if it's going to be released tomorrow, I won't buy it unless it's a "real revolution" and not only a simple spec bump ... otherwise I'll wait for fr****ng Haswell ! After all this time, it better be something really marvelous or Apple can stick it up ... :mad:

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
We don't know how much different it will be, but we know they are doing something different with the glass, and that it had manufacturing issues, and it's coming.

Yesterday wasn't a big date. Yesterday was probably the one day you could circle on your calendar and say nope, DEFINITELY not this day. Adobe isn't going to talk about Acrobat Reader in a Photoshop event, and Apple isn't going to talk about Macs at an iPhone event. That they demonstrated anything at all happening on a Mac (new iTunes) is somewhat remarkable.

Similarly, watch for the iPad Mini event.. and then get about 2 weeks away from it. Sure, they might do one event with iPad Mini, 13" rMBP, new iMacs, and perhaps even revised iPads.. but that seems too unfocused for an Apple event. I find it far more likely that the 13" rMBP and the new iMacs will arrive silently in the night on a date where nothing relating to iOS is happening.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
We don't know how much different it will be, but we know they are doing something different with the glass, and that it had manufacturing issues, and it's coming.

Yesterday wasn't a big date. Yesterday was probably the one day you could circle on your calendar and say nope, DEFINITELY not this day. Adobe isn't going to talk about Acrobat Reader in a Photoshop event, and Apple isn't going to talk about Macs at an iPhone event. That they demonstrated anything at all happening on a Mac (new iTunes) is somewhat remarkable.

Similarly, watch for the iPad Mini event.. and then get about 2 weeks away from it. Sure, they might do one event with iPad Mini, 13" rMBP, new iMacs, and perhaps even revised iPads.. but that seems too unfocused for an Apple event. I find it far more likely that the 13" rMBP and the new iMacs will arrive silently in the night on a date where nothing relating to iOS is happening.

I agree.

Any Tuesday now we will check the Apple Store and see updated iMac, MacBook Pro 13", and hopefully Mac Mini's

Bendrix

macrumors member
May 9, 2012
If it's just going to be a spec bump, why wouldn't they start selling them now? They could do a silent update on the store; there is no reason to wait till mid-October, nearly the end of the year. And I doubt they're gonna release a redesign in October with Ivy Bridge, which has already been out for some time now. But then again, people have commented that Apple has done stuff like that before, namely with Mac Minis containing processors that were not so newly released.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
There's no massive driver for a new imac. Yes, ivy bridge is out, but most of the improvement was in GPU. And the iMac doesn't run HD3000 anyway.

Sure, it would be nice, but my bet is that apple are waiting on some other component more worthwhile before they update. Maybe retina panels?

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
We will get to be disappointed again on October 30th.

Face it, folks. No new iMac until 2013 and possibly ever. Tim Cook's "something new" for pro users in 2013, replacing the iMac, Mini, and Mac Pro, is going to be a new Mac Core or something like that. It might not be a "headless xMac" at all but it WILL be the only remaining Mac desktop available, and it will use notebook-grade hardware. It will be refreshed once every three Intel CPU generations.

OK, really though, no way a simple screen lamination issue puts the flagship desktop Mac out of refresh for a year and a half. No WAY. For all we complain, Apple's supply chain management simply isn't that incompetent. This is happening deliberately, by design.

We are Apple, and you will buy what we tell you to buy, on a schedule we tell you to meet.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
We will get to be disappointed again on October 30th.

Face it, folks. No new iMac until 2013 and possibly ever. Tim Cook's "something new" for pro users in 2013, replacing the iMac, Mini, and Mac Pro, is going to be a new Mac Core or something like that. It might not be a "headless xMac" at all but it WILL be the only remaining Mac desktop available, and it will use notebook-grade hardware. It will be refreshed once every three Intel CPU generations.

OK, really though, no way a simple screen lamination issue puts the flagship desktop Mac out of refresh for a year and a half. No WAY. For all we complain, Apple's supply chain management simply isn't that incompetent. This is happening deliberately, by design.

We are Apple, and you will buy what we tell you to buy, on a schedule we tell you to meet.

I disagree with everything except for the last sentence.

We'll see the iMac - its not dead. We just need to wait. OR buy something else. End of story.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
I disagree with everything except for the last sentence.

We'll see the iMac - its not dead. We just need to wait. OR buy something else. End of story.

It isn't dead... yet. I think Valmike is on to something. We may get another couple of spec bumps... but this may be the beginning of the end for true Mac desktops.

gnrredphoenix

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2012
im with a bunch of people on this thread. I'm done speculating, I'm done checking this site so frequently for the tiniest shred of a rumor. The imac will come out when it comes out and if thats not before the end of October, then we probably won't see it for the rest of 2012

I knew the imac wasn't going to come out with the iphone yesterday, but I really believe we will see it a few weeks into October. Then again I thought the same about the ML release date.

Whatever happens, happens, and I think that all of us here on these forums have been driving ourselves nuts in anticipation. I want an imac just as bad as everyone else does here, but enough is enough. Time to just sit back and see how it all plays out...

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
a late october event for the ipad mini, new imac and 13 retina mbp would make sense.

as it would make late september - early october for the iphone spotlight, where apple would announce they sold millions of iphone on the first week, etc,etc.

but as gruber speculate with the iphone event. the same logic applies, would the ipad mini share the stage with the mac's ? it could be, or not. we won't know until the invitation for the october event sent to the press.

but.. I'm going to speculate the date oct 5, 9 & 16 as the probable candidate for silent imac refresh on apple site.

if there is no new imac on october, we might just wait until april next year.

artbyjames.com

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
Tell that to the poor Mac Pro faithful.

True, but iMac is different in that it's a consumer product. The writing is on the wall for those needing serious hi end towers (or "trucks" as steve said). Even I plan to build a beast pc next year for heavy 3d rendering.

I have a little art shop in front of the Louisville, KY Apple store. It blows me away how many people walk out of there with an iMac. It has slowed down of course, but it's pretty amazing. iMacs aren't going away anytime soon. It is the Apple home computer.

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
An Apple without desktops will see me stop buyin anything else from them.
For me its an ecosystem..Iphone/Ipad--->OSX,without it will disappoint me really a lot.
Without desktops Apple won't be the same,do you really desire a world of I-toys?I don't and to be honest the Yesterday event was really boring.
When Cook talk'd about Mountain Lion i was wishing so strongly to see a connection with new missing desktops..but he didn't and while it was just an Ip5 event ..i think this is a mistake..not one word to suggest "ok we know you're waiting,keep calm,you're not waiting for nothing because...".
And what about the new Ipad mini's event ?An event just for this,which is a shrinked Ipad 2 (3?...nay) its so so poor...what they could talk'd..maybe Ive could tell us how happy are the alluminium electrons fitted in that tiny but SO NEW ,FAIRY,UNEXPECTED,INCREDIBLE MARVELLOUS NEW SPACE or maybe Cook could talk us how many times Ipad2 and 3 were sold,how greatly this tablets changed our life..and.. .
The truth is that they can do it..it will be more boring than yesterday but they can while are still living in that distortion field pushed by the mountains of money they're living..still,till the Itoys bubble will start to slow down or even end and without their Macs shielding ,Apple would be really..in trouble having lost their heritage and their identity.
I know Osx runs on Laptops but its not enough for me,a real desktop line is needed with Desktop Cpus i mean.
Lets see if Cook is really capable to lose a market they created with Imacs disappointing people ready to buy wait even a simple spec bump.This if only new lamination issues don't raise again.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.