Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
AFAIK, Apple's policy is to apply the same carrier lock to a replacement phone as the original phone used to have. So if you have an unlocked phone that needs to be replaced, they should replace it with an unlocked one as well.

Now, it doesn't hurt to remind whoever your are dealing with at Apple of the unlocked status of your phone to make sure that the replacement is unlocked before you leave the counter, especially if it was unlocked some time after purchase.

Although Apple does do repairs/replacements by mail, I strongly recommend going to the closest Apple store and doing it at the Genius Bar. If whoever handles your mail-in request is careless or makes a mistake and sends you locked one instead, it will be difficult to prove otherwise, especially if you no longer have the original phone.

Technically, when a Genius pulls the info for the original phone via SN or IMEI, they get carrier settings on their screen, so they should simply apply the same settings to the IMEI of the replacement phone. However, IMO it is better to verify on the spot.

Actually they don't.

They honor the original sale, e.g. an AT&T locked phone which was subsequently unlocked by AT&T will be replaced by a AT&T locked phone.

You can unlock it again via AT&T.

I had it hapen to me with my IP4, cracked screen, paid $150 for a replacement, i told them in advance that i needed an unlocked phone as replacement, they told me no problem, but after all it was a locked phone which can only be unlocked through AT&T.

With the great help of the apple store, the fact i told them in advance i needed an unlocked phone and proof of unlock by AT&T, i ended up with a brand new factory unlocked 4s!!

KiDFuZioN

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
Actually they don't.

They honor the original sale, e.g. an AT&T locked phone which was subsequently unlocked by AT&T will be replaced by a AT&T locked phone.

You can unlock it again via AT&T.

I had it hapen to me with my IP4, cracked screen, paid $150 for a replacement, i told them in advance that i needed an unlocked phone as replacement, they told me no problem, but after all it was a locked phone which can only be unlocked through AT&T.

With the great help of the apple store, the fact i told them in advance i needed an unlocked phone and proof of unlock by AT&T, i ended up with a brand new factory unlocked 4s!!

Apparently the policy is inconsistent, or possibly the genius didn't code the phone correctly during the replacement, because I just had my iPhone 4S replaced with a factory unlocked one. My original iPhone was brought through AT&T locked and I used one of the eBay services to get it unlocked. I had an issue with the speaker and Apple replaced it. The replacement phone was unlocked, although it was not immediate because it wouldn't activate with my T-Mobile sim card in the Apple Store but did eventually give me signal and service with my T-Mobile sim card.

Y2A

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2008
I just wanted to add that the TheUnlockClub (ebay link) is legit and works! Their latest price is $13.92 for the 1-24hour service, so I'd figured the worst that can happen is that I'd be $13.92 poorer if it was a scam.

But I placed my order last night and they responded within minutes, and today after doing the whole process (restoring+updating to 5.1.1) I'm a happy owner of an unlocked 4S:D I tested using a friend's T-Mobile micro-sim and it took a minute or two to find signal and activate, then the T-Mobile name came up. I placed a call to be sure and yup, it works.

Here's their latest ebay ad and the one I used:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150884134381?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Apparently the policy is inconsistent, or possibly the genius didn't code the phone correctly during the replacement, because I just had my iPhone 4S replaced with a factory unlocked one. My original iPhone was brought through AT&T locked and I used one of the eBay services to get it unlocked. I had an issue with the speaker and Apple replaced it. The replacement phone was unlocked, although it was not immediate because it wouldn't activate with my T-Mobile sim card in the Apple Store but did eventually give me signal and service with my T-Mobile sim card.

They spent 2 hours, 3 genius and a store manager, contact with AT&T and 2 IP4 on it before they gave me the 4S.

One of the things that might complicate things is that they don't have any 32gig IP4 new anymore, 4S's new are plenty.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Well, after the recommendations I decided to give TheUnlockClub a try yesterday. The price has dropped to $13.83 so I figured it was worth a shot. I submitted my info and last night about 8 hours after submitting info I received a email saying the unlock had been successful. Immediately I hooked up to iTunes and did a restore and got the now familiar "congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked" screen. I was able to pop in a tmobile sim and it worked fine, so well worth my $13.83! I forgot to mention this was on a AT&T iPhone 4s.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Just a fyi to save people grief TheUnlockClub only does AT&T unlocks.If you have AT&T and they won't unlock it for you I think they are next best option.

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
Unlock without losing JB?

So I received my notification of a successful unlock along with instructions on finalizing through iTunes (restore, etc.). What I was wondering is if there is a way to finalize the unlock process without having to re-jailbreak my phone?

I remembered seeing this post a while back and was wondering if this process would still work?

http://www.redmondpie.com/heres-how-to-unlock-your-att-iphone-without-losing-jailbreak/

Thanks!

spotsphill

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2009
your question has been answered in this thread.

I've been monitoring this thread for over a week now and I haven't seen my question answered. I'm assuming you're referring to your post on Aug 16, 2012, 11:31 AM which was a follow on to LandonDonovan's post about the SAM process. According to that post the SAM Cydia app is used to deactivate the iPhone, but then what? My take on that is that it's a work-around that was not intended to be used this way. Furthermore, I don't plan on activating another SIM card right away (I plan on taking an international trip later in the year and I wanted to make sure my phone was unlocked prior).

My question was about the redsn0w method explained in the link I provided. Has anyone had any experience with this method? If not, or if the SAM method is truly the suggested method, could you provide a little more information as to what I'd need to do after deactivating the iPhone? Would I then plug it into iTunes and receive the unlocked message that other posts have mentioned?

Thanks again.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Sam method works perfect I did it you simply deactivate your sim and then reactivate it all in sam. since I used Absinthe was the best option I figured and the quickest took me 30 seconds to use. far as Redsn0w never personlly used it so maybe somebody else will pip in on that,

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/unlock-at-t-iphone-4s-without-losing-jailbreak-using-sam/

you can check it after here if you can pop in a t-mobile active sim after that's the 100% best way. because using Sam you will not get the congrats your unlocked in itunes.

http://iphoneox.com/

adfab5

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
IMEI unlock

check out "Everything Apple Pro" on ebay and youtube. I don't know how but it works, just unlocked my iphone4 for $17.

j1o6sh

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2011
GU
Sam method works perfect I did it you simply deactivate your sim and then reactivate it all in sam. since I used Absinthe was the best option I figured and the quickest took me 30 seconds to use. far as Redsn0w never personlly used it so maybe somebody else will pip in on that,

http://www.addictivetips.com/mobile/unlock-at-t-iphone-4s-without-losing-jailbreak-using-sam/

you can check it after here if you can pop in a t-mobile active sim after that's the 100% best way. because using Sam you will not get the congrats your unlocked in itunes.

http://iphoneox.com/

Thought that method isn't working already cause apple closed the Exploit?

Jorge4566

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
The eBay one definitely worked and it's very cheap. But now the only problem I have is with MMS the cam icon is there but it won't send not receive pics, anyone can help me or redirect me the thread for that. I'm new here, thanks.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
The eBay one definitely worked and it's very cheap. But now the only problem I have is with MMS the cam icon is there but it won't send not receive pics, anyone can help me or redirect me the thread for that. I'm new here, thanks.

Which one did you use? I used TheUnlockClub earlier this week and have not had a single issue.

kindafun

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2010
Prices are coming down. I'm about to try this guy, unlock_fusion, on ebay, looks like he has done quite a few and the feedback his feedback seems legit. $9.75. Not much to lose.

articulatefool

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
Prices are coming down. I'm about to try this guy, unlock_fusion, on ebay, looks like he has done quite a few and the feedback his feedback seems legit. $9.75. Not much to lose.

That's who I used. 20 hours to unlock my still under contract (somebody else's contract) iPhone 4S.

Dextor143

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2008
USA
Guys,
After yesterday's keynote, I am deciding to get the new iPhone. I have a 32GB black iPhone 4G and yesterday I received a letter from AT&T that I can just backup and restore my phone to get factory unlock.

I connected my phone to Itunes (Although it was checked mark for backup in icloud) I backed up my phone. I saw all the apps getting transfered just like a normal backing up.

I then updated my software from 5.0.1 (yes been using with ultrasnow) to 5.1.1, once the update was over. I went to itunes to restore from backup but I cant find the last backup in the drop down. Although when I went to preferences and idevice, I see the backup listed in their. I just don't know how to manually backup myself. My iCloud was full back in June so the WiFi backup was never updated.

Is there a way, I can update from the itunes as it shown on the preferences as the last update as yesterday? also how would i know that the phone is now factory unlock?

Thanks guys, I would really appreciate the help.

SR

DigitalDawn

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2011

I used Unlock Fusion the other day. Sent IMEI to them, received the unlock message the next day.

Used SAM to deactivate my 4S. Connected to iTunes, and got the "You Have Been Unlocked" message.

Can't believe it was that easy.

monkeydodo3

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
How long does unlock fusion take to unlock? I've been waiting a while to buy the unlock from him/her.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.