Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infinity12402

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
NY
I will have an upgrade avail next month, and glad I saw this!

Whats everyones opinion... is this easiser to do this loop hole with verizon on the phone or in the Verizon store. Would I have to wait a day to swap everything or can I do this all at once?

i wouldnt do it in the store. they may try and hook you into a tiered plan. i would do it online. they cant tell you no once youve ordered it already

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Awesome, this is what I was looking to do.

We've got 2 dumb phones on our plan and mine is the one with unlimited data (iPhone 4). Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, I will upgrade one of the dumb phone lines (it's eligible) to iPhone 5, then switch it over to my line, and then reactivate the previous dumb phone BACK on the dumb phone line?

My real question is, how will this work with preordering? I am increasingly impatient over this :p Will I just have to head back into a Verizon store on Friday the 21st and do the switching? Is it that easy?

myworld2008

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
MY Chat with VZW support.

Please hold for a Verizon Wireless sales representative to assist you with your order. Thank you for your patience.
You are now chatting with 'Shelly'
Shelly: Hello. Thank you for visiting our chat service. May I help you with your order today?
You: hi i have some question about upgrading the lines on my account
Shelly: I'd be happy to assist you.
You: question one: if i order iPhone 5 on line 1 and 2
(which are non smartphone right now) then once i get the iphones can i change those iphone to other two lines (which has unlimited data rightnow)?
Shelly: Yes you can activate the phones on other lines.
You: so i upgrade line 1 and line 2(non smartphone) to iphone 5 and when i get phone i will put those new iphone on line 3 and 4 lines (current smartphone with unlimited data).
You: so the unlimited plan which i have on line 3 and 4 .. can i still keep that on new iphone 5s?
Shelly: Yes
Shelly: Long as you not upgrading the lines with the unlimited data on it, you will keep the plan on the account.
You: and can i remove the data plans after i activate non smart phone on upgraded lines
Shelly: Correct, long as you placing basic phones on that line.
You: ok so here is what i CAN do: just to make sure: I will order upgrade on line 1 and 2 lines with data plan 2gb each. then i will change new phone to other two lines with unlimited data right now and i will activate non smart phone again on line 1 and 2 and than i will remove the 2 gb data from this two upgraded line. All this is possible and i will keep unlimted data on NON upgraded line with iphone 5?
Shelly: Correct
You: ok thanks for your help.

SipperyPete

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
Awesome, this is what I was looking to do.

We've got 2 dumb phones on our plan and mine is the one with unlimited data (iPhone 4). Just to make sure I'm understanding correctly, I will upgrade one of the dumb phone lines (it's eligible) to iPhone 5, then switch it over to my line, and then reactivate the previous dumb phone BACK on the dumb phone line?

My real question is, how will this work with preordering? I am increasingly impatient over this :p Will I just have to head back into a Verizon store on Friday the 21st and do the switching? Is it that easy?

This should all work in theory and I confirmed with Apple support that you can order the new 5 using the dumb phone's number and then call VZW when you receive the phone to activate it on your line. My only question is whether or not you'll be STUCK with a data plan on the dumb phone since you just renewed the contract for 2 years....anyone know??

Cheers!

myworld2008

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2008
This should all work in theory and I confirmed with Apple support that you can order the new 5 using the dumb phone's number and then call VZW when you receive the phone to activate it on your line. My only question is whether or not you'll be STUCK with a data plan on the dumb phone since you just renewed the contract for 2 years....anyone know??

Cheers!

you can just remove the data plan once you reactive dumb phones. read my above phone with VZW chat support

Mortalias

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Cheers!

That's what I'm afraid of as well! However, I'm sure on that same phone call you can tell them to drop the data plan, which they will not fight since it's not necessary on the dumb phone.

It's a hard life for us Apple fans :p (Not too hard, though ;))

infinity12402

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
NY

Cheers!

you just tell them to cancel the data plan on the dumb phone line. not like it can use it anyway

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010

Cheers!
No, as long as you place a dumb phone back on that line you're free to cancel the data at anytime.

doubleaa

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
So let me get this straight... I currently have two iPhone 4s with unlimited data plans. Both are eligible for upgrades. If I order two new iPhone 5s I automatically get converted to a 2 GB per month data plan and lose the unlimited?

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
So let me get this straight... I currently have two iPhone 4s with unlimited data plans. Both are eligible for upgrades. If I order two new iPhone 5s I automatically get converted to a 2 GB per month data plan and lose the unlimited?
Yes unfortunately.

ROLLTIDE1

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012

correct unless you pay $650
+ each

doubleaa

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
That sucks. I do have a dumb phone on my account right now but it's not eligible for upgrade for another month. If I transfer an upgrade to that dumb phone I'll be stuck with it for another two years because the contract renews. I'm planning to drop the dumb phone off my account when the contract is up in a few months. It's not worth $240 + taxes the dumb phone costs to keep the unlimited plan in my opinion.

Last edited:

halfmonkey

macrumors regular
May 17, 2011
So if I follow through with this loophole, do I get all of the benefits of the iphone 5?

In other words, do I get 4g/LTE or will the iphone be operating on 3g? Also, will I get the free hotspot? I ask these questions because on the new data plans 4g/LTE and free hot spot are part of the plans. Under VZ's old system, if you wanted 4g/LTE or a hotspot, you had to pay for it and so since this loophole allows you to get a 4g/LTE capable phone, will it operate with 4g/LTE and a hotspot since you're basically tricking the system or will it still be using 3g with no hotspot?

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Quick Notes I took on a call from a rep.

They will try to move you over to a FAMILY SHARE plan. Which the basic phone will be $40.00 a month just for a dumb phone.

So with an iphone and an extra line would be $150 + 30 + 10 (iphone insurance) totalling $190

WTF?

DaveHuck

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Iron Mountain, MI
OK, so if someone can help me, that would be super.

Currently have iPhone 4 with grandfathered unlimited data (upgrade eligible 10/10/12). 4 other lines for family are dumb phones (all eligible for upgrade). 2 daughters want iPhone 4 (on two of the dumb phone lines), while I want iPhone 5 (wife and son will keep dumb phones). Would need to upgrade daughters lines to smartphones (sounds like iPhone 4's would be free with contract) with data and keep mine on unlimited (purchase one additional iPhone 4, with other daughter getting my current iPhone 4). Verizon is pushing me to Shared Family Plan (4GB shared) at $250/month with those upgrades (currently $135/month before taxes). Too many freakin' options. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

KeanBurke

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2007
So if I follow through with this loophole, do I get all of the benefits of the iphone 5?

In other words, do I get 4g/LTE or will the iphone be operating on 3g? Also, will I get the free hotspot? I ask these questions because on the new data plans 4g/LTE and free hot spot are part of the plans. Under VZ's old system, if you wanted 4g/LTE or a hotspot, you had to pay for it and so since this loophole allows you to get a 4g/LTE capable phone, will it operate with 4g/LTE and a hotspot since you're basically tricking the system or will it still be using 3g with no hotspot?

Good question. Does anybody have the answer for this?

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
Quick Notes I took on a call from a rep.

They will try to move you over to a FAMILY SHARE plan. Which the basic phone will be $40.00 a month just for a dumb phone.

So with an iphone and an extra line would be $150 + 30 + 10 (iphone insurance) totalling $190

WTF?
I've said this repeatedly already. If you add a line, your whole plan will be forced over to a shared data plan. This loophole is only for grandfathered plans with multiple lines.

tigerfan41

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
OK, I have a question (and forgive me if it's already been answered):

I currently have unlimited data on my line and an upgrade available on that same line. Unless I'm understanding things wrong, couldn't I transfer this upgrade to another line on my account, get the 5 on that line, then bring the 5 over to my line and keep unlimited data? Also, is this going to trigger a bunch of line upgrade fees?

jmo1116

macrumors regular
May 27, 2010
Alabama
So what you're telling me is this: I have a family plan with 4 smartphones and 1 dumb phone. I have one upgrade available (a smartphone). I can transfer the available upgrade to the dumb phone, upgrade to iPhone 5, and then add a data plan to that line, then transfer the iPhone 5 to one of the smartphone lines and keep unlimited data that I had before?

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
I've said this repeatedly already. If you add a line, your whole plan will be forced over to a shared data plan. This loophole is only for grandfathered plans with multiple lines.

Ah... THATS what it is... I have my own line on this account so pretty much at this point it's pay the phone full price, or add a $40 line to my current account. That BLOWWWWWS

What happened to the Nationwide Talk & Text plans?

aeronauticsrock

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2010

This is a major bummer. I thought I would be able to add lines for the 5 (at 2GB/$30) switch them to dumb phones, and move the 5s over to my unlimited lines.

Dang. Looks like you're screwed if you don't already have dummy lines.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
So HeyGreggie it sounds like we are left out of this loophole.

I would have to agree. Because only phone plans outside of prepaid is the share everything, and you'll lose unlimited data that way. Gotta come out of pocket with $449 AND stand in line [charge $400 to Verizon account].

I was thinking.. cool. I can add a line, but keep my data. Verizon are crooks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.