Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; fi-fi) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

There are two elements to this iCloud business, which confound me. First though, let me give you the specs:
Hardware: IMac i7, macbook(Alu), phone4 + (wife's:) MBA rev.C and iPhone 3G

The first pause comes from that I was badly burned by MobileMe and threw in the towel after having my account thoroughly messed up. Sadly that same account is used by iTAB. What worries me is that if I hook up this account to iCloud, those settings messes, which plagued the MobileMe account will come back to haunt me. Rang Apple to check, even managed to talk someone who dug up my old case/complaint, and was told that the safest way would be to create a new account for iCloud.

The other thing is that the I would not be inclined to update to Lion. Personally I would prob'ly tweak the settings to get rid of as much of the Lion look-and-feel as possible. I just do not see the point. More seriously, the MBAlu (which I'm typing on right now) is still in Leopard time (10.5.8) and I have to keep it that way, as updating would break a critical piece of software (or necessitate an expensive upgrade).

I understand that iCloud has some low-level integration, but I honestly question whether Apple could not have made it work on all Intel platforms had they liked. Also, I very well see the business case for making users upgrade to the newest OS (it makes things so much simpler for Apple), but as they never made good on their promise to adress the third-party compatibility issues Snow Leopard introduced ... well, in short: iPiqued.

(Sidenote: I'm currently being offered iTunes 10.5.1 on this machine - and Lion or not - it still promises to offer iTunesMatch. How's that for necessitating Lion).

And the stupidest thing is that the only reason for me even wanting to go into the cloud would be calendar synchronization (As i consider the iTunes-based synchronization to be medieval).

So, unless someone of you guys can change my mind, I think I'll let this innovation pass for now.

Last edited:

BasilFawlty

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
New Mexico
First, thanks for putting this together.

but, WOW if it takes a masters degree to figure out and implement this stuff properly the consumers of the worlds just are NOT going to get it and will not be happy. I simply could not imagine any older relative I know being able to make sense of all this and we're moving to the state where only the young tech adopters are able to setup the FAMILY'S apple account infrastructure.

this is not a good sign.

You speak the truth!

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
My problem is this.

Years ago I created an AppleID to use iTunes. It was a username as I like simplicity, let's say it was johnsmith.
A while later I fancied MobileMe (lord knows why, it's caused nothing but trouble ever since). So I signed up, it asked me for my AppleID so I entered johnsmith and it created johnsmith@me.com. I used to think that these two things were one and the same ID since I could log in to MobileMe website by entering johnsmith and also activated MobileMe sync on Mac and iOS by only entering johnsmith.

Then iCloud launched and I learned that these two were not one and the same. Before migrating, I logged into the AppleID site with each one and lo and behold they were separate accounts! So I have purchases made to johnsmith but emails contacts and calendars are on johnsmith@me.com.

Kind of works, but now when I set up an iOS device I have to first setup iCloud by entering the johnsmith@me.com credentials (which btw the migration forced me to change my password so now the two accounts are even more separate) but then have to change iTunes and AppStore back to johnsmith in order to have my purchases.

Why can't they just be the same? Microsoft manages it fine. My live.com email address is my account for Xbox, Zune, Microsoft, Hotmail etc. it just works. Ironically.

Anyway, I might just leave apple for email contacts and calendars since the service is dire. But, in order to use backup and doc and bookmark sync etc etc I have to use johnsmith@me.com. Why cant it just be simple and be the same as just johnsmith. So....complicated and unapple.

Any advice?

Last edited:

Sonny1

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
New York, NY
iCloud, MobileMe ... easy solution

:rolleyes:Please don't bother telling me not to use iCloud and/or me.com. I already don't use them.
After 20+ years using Mac computers and other Apple products, I stopped using those two functions last year. My next "loss" may be iTunes.
I have managed to live without Apple in the Clouds because of the increased chance it gives phishers and hackers help they also don't need. I know my Macs are not impervious, but I have less hope for iCloud.
As for Apple's email system --oh, sorry; did I write "system? I haven't found an email system any worse than Apple's. S-l-o-w........
Now I am eyeing (no pun) iTunes. I have not downloaded the latest version. My music is stored on my Macbook Pro, my hard drives, my CDs, my iPods. I get my books, news, entertainment downloaded from other than iCloud lairs.
I don't want to be locked into Apple's way of manipulating its world of users. Alternatives abound. I use them, but never the an extent that I have locked myself into any of them.
I admire Apple's computers. I hope always to use them.
But that's it. Life can be simpler when you rely on the person you can count on to both get things done and correct his/her mistakes. I mean YOU(RSELF).

robogobo

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Sitting down facing front.
In another short thread in these forums, I found the lead that led to the solution for my wife and I.

So, my main account is everything - same AID for iTunes store and iCloud. We created another account for her.

In order for iCloud sync not to mess with the My Card and Siri contact default, we simply activated her Contacts syncing for her iCloud account and added ONE contact - her own.

So my main contact is in our shared iCloud (which is my main account, and her secondary account just so we can share the Calendars and Contacts). Her My Card and Siri ID points to that one single contact in her iCloud.

All battling over My Card and Siri's default ID is over.

Hope this helps someone..!

helped me. Thanks!

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Previously, my wife and I used one MM for iPad and two iPhones and two Macs.

Since she received her 4S, that night I figured most of this article out on my own and setup this way:

That main MM account converted to iCloud. It's my AppStore ID and my iCloud ID for my iPhone. Macs stay with it as well. For her 4S, her newly created iCloud so she can sync her own notes and have her own account for backups, etc. Her new iCloud ID as her main, with Contacts and Calendar turned off. Our shared iCloud ID (my main one, remember) as secondary so we can share Contacts and Calendar.

Works find except for ONE thing. If you choose a My Contact and Siri ID, it doesn't stick. If she changes it on her 4S, then iCloud on all Macs and my iPhone also change to her. If I change it, all the other main MM devices change too.

So how does one share Contacts and Calendar without this issue?

My workaround I guess, will be to make a shared contact. Siri will be annoying though, as it'll address us by our "Husband & Wife" name instead of just saying one of our names.

Any ideas or thoughts?

This wasn't properly thought out at Apple, oh well. Since when does any Apple product work 100% anyhow?

=)

thanks for thoughts

this isn't a fault of Apple, it's your own fault. An Apple ID is meant to be for a SINGLE user, it even says so in it's terms and conditions, not for people to share. why should Apple design for something that's not within the terms and conditions? This is why MM came with a family pack that had different Apple ID's. That's why iCloud has the ability to share clouds with other users..... any workaround to share 1 apple ID is just breaking the terms and conditions anyway, just so you know.

chachat

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2008
San Francisco
I am intrigued by this thread as it addresses many issues that my family has in the prospect of migrating to iCloud from MobileMe. My scenario is similar, I have a MobileMe ID that I use both for the AppleStore/Itunes as well as MobileMe itself. My wife has a MobileID that she uses AND a separate ID for Itunes/AppStore. Would anyone have any suggestions on how to converge to a common Itunes/AppStore ID for purchases and individual IDs for iCloud? I am concerned about the convergence and what that would do, how would I go about merging our purchases to one common/unique ID that we could both then use for purchases? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as we both have our individual Macbooks, iPhones and iPads that we would like to manage, as well as our AppleTV.

Thanks in advance..

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Apple ID organization

It's worked for me very well, I like to keep it simple.

One AppleID for all the family for the store. This way all the purchases can be shared between. I also use this main AppleID for Find My xxx on all devices (nice to have it all show up correctly under one AppleID) and for our common shared Contacts and Calendar and Bookmarks and Notes.

Then each PERSON gets assigned an AppleID for iCloud backup, Email (we have emailed enabled but actually stick with Gmail), extra personal Contacts and Calendar and Notes, GameCenter, FaceTime, Reminders, Photo Stream. PS - for the personal Contact of each person on iOS devices, have at least ONE contact in this database to point Siri and the iPhone to. By keeping it separate, the iOS devices won't have to jostle the default contact between different users. (If you use the MAIN family AppleID's contact database for the personal contacts, it'll shift to that contact every time someone designates it. For instance, if I set MY contact details on my iPhone all is well. But then if my wife is using the same AppleID database to select her default, it'll change her iPhone AND my iPhone. I hope that makes sense?)

So again AppleID for common tasks and unifying, personal AppleID for ALL the devices belonging to a SINGLE person.

Works perfectly for my family.

As far as unifying to purchasing AppleIDs together, there is no way to do that outside of Apple's direct assistance.

Jacques

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
What if you have a current Mac mail address and you just want the Mac address to transfer over to cloud without all the other stuff such as contacts and notes? Is this possible? Seems like one has to use contacts and emails along with notes and music on iCloud?

Basically I just want to use my Mac email on cloud and nothing else. Is that possible? Does not look like transfer at the moment allows us to have this option.:confused:

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
What if you have a current Mac mail address and you just want the Mac address to transfer over to cloud without all the other stuff such as contacts and notes? Is this possible? Seems like one has to use contacts and emails along with notes and music on iCloud?

Basically I just want to use my Mac email on cloud and nothing else. Is that possible? Does not look like transfer at the moment allows us to have this option.:confused:

First, I'm not sure why this would matter?

Second, once an AppleID is moved to iCloud it's all in - but none of it has to be used. So if you only wanted to use the email part of your AppleID, you could turn off all of the other parts with your iOS settings. You only use what you'd like to...

If it's a privacy concern, keep your contacts and notes local only - and sync locally to a Mac for backup.

PS - to move contacts and notes, etc, around from account to account - use your Mac and simply drag and drop in betw accounts (I've done this to consolidate contacts from several accounts)

Jacques

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA

AFAIK everything transfers but that doesn't mean that you have to use it all. You can select the services that you want enabled via the iCloud page in System Preferences. Personally the only thing I have enabled in iCloud is Back to My Mac (BTMM).

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
First, I'm not sure why this would matter?

Second, once an AppleID is moved to iCloud it's all in - but none of it has to be used. So if you only wanted to use the email part of your AppleID, you could turn off all of the other parts with your iOS settings. You only use what you'd like to...

If it's a privacy concern, keep your contacts and notes local only - and sync locally to a Mac for backup.

PS - to move contacts and notes, etc, around from account to account - use your Mac and simply drag and drop in betw accounts (I've done this to consolidate contacts from several accounts)

Jacques

Thanks.. So you mean one does not have an option and that everything including all contacts automatically go to the iCloud server:confused:

AFAIK everything transfers but that doesn't mean that you have to use it all. You can select the services that you want enabled via the iCloud page in System Preferences. Personally the only thing I have enabled in iCloud is Back to My Mac (BTMM).

I assume you are saying that one can select the services after,correct? One can not select prior as to which items to transfer and not to transfer to the iCloud server:confused: Do we now lose our rights to keep all our private stuff just on our smartphone? Seems like if one wants to have or use a Mac email account that means means one has to give up all their privacy rights and transfer everything on their iPhone over to the iCloud server.

Do users have options these days? Seems like every other new update means less privacy.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Thanks.. So you mean one does not have an option and that everything including all contacts automatically go to the iCloud server:confused:

I assume you are saying that one can select the services after,correct? One can not select prior as to which items to transfer and not to transfer to the iCloud server:confused: Do we now lose our rights to keep all our private stuff just on our smartphone? Seems like if one wants to have or use a Mac email account that means means one has to give up all their privacy rights and transfer everything on their iPhone over to the iCloud server.

Do users have options these days? Seems like every other new update means less privacy.
When you convert your MobileMe account to iCloud it will transition everything that is in MobileMe (not your iPhone) to iCloud. So if you never put your contacts into MM then they also will not be in iCloud. And contacts that are in iCloud for whatever reason can be deleted via the web interface (make sure that contact syncing is disabled first). You can choose to sync only email and leave everything else disabled and just not use the feature, so that you keep everything else private to your phone or mac or whatever.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
When you convert your MobileMe account to iCloud it will transition everything that is in MobileMe (not your iPhone) to iCloud. So if you never put your contacts into MM then they also will not be in iCloud. And contacts that are in iCloud for whatever reason can be deleted via the web interface (make sure that contact syncing is disabled first). You can choose to sync only email and leave everything else disabled and just not use the feature, so that you keep everything else private to your phone or mac or whatever.

Thanks for the kind response :) , How do you do this:confused: On my iTunes sync everything is disabled. Any particular place that one has to do something before transition? At the moment from what I see is that everything gets transferred over.

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009

Attachments

• contactssssss.jpg
    contactssssss.jpg
    575.7 KB · Views: 401

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
So let me get this straight..
in order to get an @me or @icloud mail address you first have to create an apple id, but but buuuuutt in order to create an apple id you have to use an email address thats neither of the two. example: GMAIL.
and then once you've created an apple id using GMAIL uthen have to make an @me or @icloud account to use mail??? Why wouldn't apple just allow you to use one of their domain names as an apple id instead of forcing us to use one one of their competitors?? (GMAIL)

makes nooooo sense whatsoever

i just want to make a new apple id using @icloud.com and use it for everything.
my mail, my iTunes, my apple id, books... but how can i make a new @icloud.com apple id?? and even if i do , will it be around for a while?? because @mac and @me are both gone..

also, do u think @icloud.com looks as professional on a resume ( and things of that nature) as @gmail.com???

Johnchapin

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2008
Boulder
Why do I need iCloud?

:mad: Old Grouch here :mad: I never saw the need for Mobile Me and now feel the same way toward iCloud. What the heck is it for? Is it just an expensive, unreliable way of replacing a back up disk? Is it for Apple or is it for Apple users? it stores 1000 of your most recent photos? Really? I take 1000 photos a month. Sync devices? I never liked the way iTunes synced. Organize photos? Don't care for iPhoto either. Let Apple manage my mail? They could call it iBrainDamage :mad:

MacBook, MacBook Pro on Snow Leopard, iPhone 4, iPad 3, Antique WinTel on XP, 3 x 1 TB WD backup disks at 3 locations plus assortment of 8GB thumbs, Canon 60D, & well worn copy of Grouchiness for Dummies :cool:

Last edited:

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
:mad: Old Grouch here :mad: I never saw the need for Mobile Me and now feel the same way toward iCloud. What the heck is it for? Is it just an expensive, unreliable way of replacing a back up disk? Is it for Apple or is it for Apple users? it stores 1000 of your most recent photos? Really? I take 1000 photos a month. Sync devices? I never liked the way iTunes synced. Organize photos? Don't care for iPhoto either. Let Apple manage my mail? They could call it iBrainDamage :mad:

MacBook, MacBook Pro on Snow Leopard, iPhone 4, iPad 3, Antique WinTel on XP, 3 x 1 TB WD backup disks at 3 locations plus assortment of 8GB thumbs, Canon 60D, & well worn copy of Grouchiness for Dummies :cool:

You don't have to use iCloud for anything if you don't want to, but with Mountain Lion there is a real convergence with Mac, iPhone, and iPad app data for things like notifications, calendars, etc. And more to come in iOS 6. You can take a pass, but I think you'll might be missing out on some of the real strengths of their platform (and I was as curmudgeonly as you not long ago).

wdb726

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
Update?

This is a great thread, answering questions I've had since the introduction of iCloud. I was just wondering if, now that Mountain Lion has arrived, anything has changed???

Keep up the good work!

chaseychasem

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2012
i just want to make a new apple id using @icloud.com and use it for everything.

Agreed. I find the current implementation a little amateurish. Apple should have devised a unified architecture prior to iCloud launch.

Before purchasing my new MBP (currently en route from Shanghai, via Anchorage, whee!) I decided to look up my Apple ID, yet I'd forgotten that I have two Apple IDs: one (#1) from the Windows debut of iTunes ca. 2003 and the other (#2) in association with my first iPod in 2005. #1 was still alias-only, because that's how it was back in the day, while #2 was named after a Gmail address that I still use. The lookup script at appleid.apple.com, of course, came back with #1, the older, alias-only account—which, however, had the very same Gmail address as stored contact info, rather than as an account name.

So I wrote to customer support with a request to cancel #2, as I'd already purchased the MBP using #1 and wanted to keep my ducks in a row. A kind support rep started to work on my request. That was two days ago. Yesterday, she informed me that Apple has suddenly discontinued cancellation of Apple IDs, which suggests they're receiving many such requests and/or realize that this is all a total mess and requires a comprehensive solution. Meantime I can no longer tie the Gmail address to either account, having renamed both provisionally in preparation for some kind of resolution. At this point I'd prefer to start fresh with an iCloud e-mail address and name a new Apple ID accordingly.

And certainly there are far worse cases of Apple ID entanglement than my own. I had a very minor iTunes purchase under #2, that's it.

siddiki

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011
@me.com accounts transition to @icloud.com

Can you pls tell me when the @me.com accounts transition to @icloud.com. Wasnt that supposed to have happened already? Have tried to google this information but have not been able to find out.

Thanks,

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Here is one for you. Will my messages (SMS and MMS) be saved to iCloud?

I'm going to get a new iPhone and I want to keep a load of messages I sent too and and received from a non-iPhone user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.