Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gman3042

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
how would this work if its a family plan with 5 smartphones on it that has unlimited data? could i switch the smartphone out for a dumbphone, and then do this activation that way?

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Okay.... Found ANOTHER loophole [for those of us who DONT have dummy accounts already].. Hopefully this works... But you'll MISS THE PREORDER. Has to be done via CUSTOMER SERVICE:

-Call the Sales Department to Preorder your Cell Phone...

-Tell them you want to add a new line to a SUB account {practically a bracket of your account, but not on the same level as yours}

- Tell them you want the BARE minimum Share Everything Plan with 300MB [they wont tell you they have this.. They do.] It's $70.00 total.

- You'll get the phone in the mail, Activate this line FIRST when you get it. Not your regular line.

- Call Verizon, tell them you have two accounts that you want to MERGE into a Nationwide Talk & Text plan [whichever that might be]

-HAVE THE DUMMY PHONE with you or they can't activate it!

This should work. If not... We'll be paying full retail. This sucks so many bowls of d------

brandnewrock22

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
I have already gotten everything on my account where I need it for my pre-order later this evening (3am for me). Let me fill you in on what I did. This won't work for everyone, so please don't hold me to this:

Current plan:
2 iPhone 4 devices
Verizon Nationwide Family Share Talk & Text (Account Level Pricing) - $80
Unlimited 3G Data on both - 2 x $29.99
Line access fees: 2 x $9.99
Total: $159.96 pre-tax, pre-discount

My biggest issue with upgrading on my line is that I wanted to keep my unlimited data. Here's my solution:
1. Add extra line using an old flip-phone I had laying around (Samsung Convoy) - $9.99 extra per month on family plan (bringing your own equipment means NO contract!)
2. Preorder iPhone 5 on new line, add 2GB/$30 data plan
3. Activate iPhone 5 on line, then re-activate Convoy
4. Drop data plan from line Convoy is on now
5. Activate iPhone 5 on my personal line.

We were looking to get a home phone anyways, but our cable company was trying to charge us more money than we were looking to spend. Using these steps, I'll have a brand-spankin' new iPhone 5 with unlimited data and an extra line to use as our home phone.

Link2430

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2007
I have already gotten everything on my account where I need it for my pre-order later this evening (3am for me). Let me fill you in on what I did. This won't work for everyone, so please don't hold me to this:

Current plan:
2 iPhone 4 devices
Verizon Nationwide Family Share Talk & Text (Account Level Pricing) - $80
Unlimited 3G Data on both - 2 x $29.99
Line access fees: 2 x $9.99
Total: $159.96 pre-tax, pre-discount

My biggest issue with upgrading on my line is that I wanted to keep my unlimited data. Here's my solution:
1. Add extra line using an old flip-phone I had laying around (Samsung Convoy) - $9.99 extra per month on family plan (bringing your own equipment means NO contract!)
2. Preorder iPhone 5 on new line, add 2GB/$30 data plan
3. Activate iPhone 5 on line, then re-activate Convoy
4. Drop data plan from line Convoy is on now
5. Activate iPhone 5 on my personal line.

We were looking to get a home phone anyways, but our cable company was trying to charge us more money than we were looking to spend. Using these steps, I'll have a brand-spankin' new iPhone 5 with unlimited data and an extra line to use as our home phone.

This is exactly what I want to do. I have old flip phone sitting around, how come you said it won't work for everyone? I was planning on adding the line today with the existing phone (should only be $9.99) and then preordering an iPhone with that line. After it arrives, I should be able to just switch the phones on each line and cancel the data plan. Also, I shouldn't be switched to the Share Everything plan, since I already have two smartphones on this account (only one is eligible for an upgrade)

I just feel like I've heard two contradicting things about adding a line and am hoping someone can clear this up.

Chrisbkreme

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
I have multiple lines on a family account, nation wide talk and text, not the new shared. One of my phones has an upgrade, it is already on the 2GB data plan, can I upgrade that phone to the iPhone 5 without changing to family share, then switch it to my line with unlimited data? Or can I just choose the "transfer upgrade" option on the verizon website when I order it?

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
I have multiple lines on a family account, nation wide talk and text, not the new shared. One of my phones has an upgrade, it is already on the 2GB data plan, can I upgrade that phone to the iPhone 5 without changing to family share, then switch it to my line with unlimited data? Or can I just choose the "transfer upgrade" option on the verizon website when I order it?
If the line already has the 2GB data plan you won't be forced to upgrade to family shared.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
so it's pretty much an extra $9.99 / month per phone? Since you have to have the dumbphone line active right?

Chrisbkreme

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
If the line already has the 2GB data plan you won't be forced to upgrade to family shared.

So do I need to order it on the one with the 2GB, activate it, then switch it to my unlimited line? Or can I just choose the transfer upgrade option on the website? Thanks.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I'm not even sure you need a dumbphone, or need to actually activate the iphone on the dumbphone line and then switch.

To my understanding, and from my past experience, you can use any upgrade available to get the new phone at a subsidized price. Once you actually receive the phone, you can activate it on any line.

I've done this before without any problems with regard to my unlimited data plan, but that was before the new policy regarding unlimited data and the tiered family share plans. However, I don't see how the changes would affect their activation/upgrade policy.

I'll update again once I do it this time around.

SipperyPete

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
I'm not even sure you need a dumbphone, or need to actually activate the iphone on the dumbphone line and then switch.

To my understanding, and from my past experience, you can use any upgrade available to get the new phone at a subsidized price. Once you actually receive the phone, you can activate it on any line.

I've done this before without any problems with regard to my unlimited data plan, but that was before the new policy regarding unlimited data and the tiered family share plans. However, I don't see how the changes would affect their activation/upgrade policy.

This is correct...according to Apple anyway. They told me to just order the new phone using the phone number where the upgrade is eligible, and as soon as I receive it, call VZW to have it activated on the correct line. This is how I'm going about it and I'll also provide an update on how it goes...

Cheers!

browerjs

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
So I'm going to be getting two iPhone 5's tonight, one for my wife, one for myself.

She uses nowhere near 2GB of data a month, so for her I'll just do a standard upgrade from VZW (and save $50 using some promotion on our account). My dad has a dumb phone on the account, and no intention to upgrade anytime soon, so I'll order my upgrade on his line. When I get the iPhone 5, just call VZW to activate it on my line.

Now if he does want to upgrade at some point, he'll have to use my upgrade, will I lose my unlimited data at that point?

WeenNC

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
My question is what happens to the upgrades. I currently have 5 phones (2 smart, 3 dumb). All 5 phones have upgrades available. If I use the 2 dumb upgrades to get the 2 smart phones upgraded while keeping the unlimited plan, does that mean that both the 2 dumb phones and the 2 smart phones lose their upgrade availability in the process?

SipperyPete

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2011
So I'm going to be getting two iPhone 5's tonight, one for my wife, one for myself.

She uses nowhere near 2GB of data a month, so for her I'll just do a standard upgrade from VZW (and save $50 using some promotion on our account). My dad has a dumb phone on the account, and no intention to upgrade anytime soon, so I'll order my upgrade on his line. When I get the iPhone 5, just call VZW to activate it on my line.

Now if he does want to upgrade at some point, he'll have to use my upgrade, will I lose my unlimited data at that point?

I would assume as long as you just get another dumb phone, there will be no need to add/modify a data plan.

johnothy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2012
Midwest

You probably need to activate the phone on the line you used to upgrade with and add a 2GB for $30 data plan to it. Then swap it with your unlimited line and put a regular phone back on the line that had the upgrade and the 2GB data plan will go off.

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
just got off the phone with a VZW rep. OP is RIGHT. This works, and they actually openly condone this practice.

what vzw rep said:

'once we found out about this we let our customers know.' also, once you cancel the 2GB plan (that was upgraded from the dumb phone line) they give you credit back. so you don't even have to pay for the first month of the plan.

i swear the rep was like your average techie forum poster.

mkw5053

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2010
San Francisco
I currently have a family plan with 5 unlimited data smartphones. Two are due for an upgrade. Anyway I can keep my unlimited data without having to pay full retail?

Thank you!

The Mad Mule

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Requirements
-Grandfathered family plan
-Upgrade Available (Transfer and use on dumb phone)
-At least 1 dumb phone line

Basically you use the dummy line to get the subsidized pricing and add on the basic 2GB data plan. Then once you get the iPhone you switch it to your unlimited data line and put the dumb phone back to its line and cancel the data plan since it's no longer needed.

So is there a fee for canceling the data plan? And I assume the dummy phone line won't be deactivated as soon as you place the order? I only ask because I plan on doing this with my parent's phone, and it would suck if their phone stopped working for a week.

* And I'm assuming we're talking about ordering through Apple here.

webworks415

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2008
Question for those who know what they are talking about and not just assuming like aohus.

If I swapped a smartphone for a dumbphone on a new line and remove data plan, would the ETF be the smartphone price ($350), or the regular price ($175) ....since I would be on a basic line. I'm assuming it would be smartphone ETF but it doesn't hurt to ask, and maybe save more money than letting the contract ride out.

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
So is there a fee for canceling the data plan? And I assume the dummy phone line won't be deactivated as soon as you place the order? I only ask because I plan on doing this with my parent's phone, and it would suck if their phone stopped working for a week.

No fee to cancel data plan, old phone won't deactivate until you receive the new iPhone. However when you receive the iPhone you'll just activate it on the unlimited line. Their phones won't stop working.

No, you'd be ordering through Verizon because you have to move the upgrade to a dumb phone line.

infinity12402

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2012
NY

my friend just asked me the same exact question. dont be offended by the way i answer, cause i said the same exact thing to him. how would they just turn off your phone for a week like that? that doesnt even make sense. of course the phone will stay on. nothing happens until you activate the phone on what ever line you want

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 7, 2010
I currently have a family plan with 5 unlimited data smartphones. Two are due for an upgrade. Anyway I can keep my unlimited data without having to pay full retail?

Thank you!
Nope. Unfortunately since they're all unlimited already you're out of luck. The lines will all be forced into the $30 2GB.

HeyGreggie

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2011
Question for those who know what they are talking about and not just assuming like aohus.

If I swapped a smartphone for a dumbphone on a new line and remove data plan, would the ETF be the smartphone price ($350), or the regular price ($175) ....since I would be on a basic line. I'm assuming it would be smartphone ETF but it doesn't hurt to ask, and maybe save more money than letting the contract ride out.

You would pay $399 on a two year new contract basic line or smartphone line it doesnt change.

I'm paying $399 for mine to put on another plan. Goal is to CALL verizon and do this and not worry about the inernet site crashing, or worst of all... picking the wrong deal and LOSING my unlimited data.

Luckily I've bugged them all day to the point they've noted EVERY word I've said and when I call at 5-6am, everything should be "push to start" for the 21st.

The Mad Mule

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
No fee to cancel data plan, old phone won't deactivate until you receive the new iPhone. However when you receive the iPhone you'll just activate it on the unlimited line. Their phones won't stop working.

No, you'd be ordering through Verizon because you have to move the upgrade to a dumb phone line.

If Verizon lists both the smartphone and the dummy phone as eligible for upgrades, can't you order the iP5 through the dummy phone's number on Apple at the same discount and then once it comes, switch things over through Verizon's website?

my friend just asked me the same exact question. dont be offended by the way i answer, cause i said the same exact thing to him. how would they just turn off your phone for a week like that? that doesnt even make sense. of course the phone will stay on. nothing happens until you activate the phone on what ever line you want

Yeah that would be pretty stupid. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.