Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LFSimon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Illinois
Ok, I was a bit bleary eyed placing order at 5AM on ATT site before my morning coffee.

Phone 1: Had 2GB $25 plan which has always been plenty of data for that phone. Checkout confirm page showed the 200MB $15 plan, so I clicked to change and selected the 3GB $30 plan. Only afterwards did I check our last bill and see we had been on a $25 plan.

>> Did I just get suckered into a $5/month increase for nothing?

Did I miss the option to keep the $25 plan or was it not there at all?

Phone 2: Had unlimited $30 plan as it was an older line. Upgrade process listed this as the default plan on the confirmation page so I made no changes.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Ok, I was a bit bleary eyed placing order at 5AM on ATT site before my morning coffee.

Phone 1: Had 2GB $25 plan which has always been plenty of data for that phone. Checkout confirm page showed the 200MB $15 plan, so I clicked to change and selected the 3GB $30 plan. Only afterwards did I check our last bill and see we had been on a $25 plan.

>> Did I just get suckered into a $5/month increase for nothing?

Did I miss the option to keep the $25 plan or was it not there at all?

Phone 2: Had unlimited $30 plan as it was an older line. Upgrade process listed this as the default plan on the confirmation page so I made no changes.

It was NOT there, you did not imagine it.
Same for my wife's I ordered.

Suckered in for another 5.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wait so you could not choose 2GB for $25? You were forced into 200 MB for $15 or 3GB for $30?

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
The two gig plan showed up for me.. I called AT&T yesterday and asked about this. I was told if it did not show up, take the 3 gig plan, and when the phone arrived, do not turn it on, call AT&T - explain the situation and they will correct it immediately.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
2 gb plan is apparently gone jessica.

It only offered 200 mb for 15, 300mb for 20, or 3gb for 30- and up from there.

That is pretty f'ed up. I know a ton of people who never hit 2GB, now to pay $5 more for another gig is just a waste to them.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
The two gig plan showed up for me.. I called AT&T yesterday and asked about this. I was told if it did not show up, take the 3 gig plan, and when the phone arrived, do not turn it on, call AT&T - explain the situation and they will correct it immediately.

That is a little reassuring, I will call today.

That is pretty f'ed up. I know a ton of people who never hit 2GB, now to pay $5 more for another gig is just a waste to them.

Agreed. I upgraded 2 lines for my wife and son who only use about 500-700mb.
My son is getting my 4S though, so I have to do an upgrade to my line in a store apparently (I have unlimited).
Hopefully I can keep the 2GB for her, my bill is high enough; and 300MB is a joke of course.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
I was able to keep my 2 GB plan with AT&T. It showed up and i selected it. It also shows on the confirmation page that the 2 GB plan is what i picked. I rarely hit 1.5 GB and was happy to see it was still an option.

araczek

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Tinton Falls NJ
Data plan woes

LFSimon-

Yeah, I was not quite with it (quite tired) and just selected what it came up with. Didn't click around to see what was available. When I called ATT yesterday the guy said "your data plan won't change and it'll cost the same" for 4G. But the order process apparently attempts to change the data plan.

Thing is we won't have 4G in our area 'til 2013 sometime. So I am NOT paying this extra. Feel this was a little slight of hand on ATT's part. Plus the fact you need Shared Data Plan to get FaceTime over cellular. $$$$.

S__ks.

...AR

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Are you on a premiere account by chance? I am btw- maybe that's the difference but I have no idea why if that's indeed the case.

no I'm not. just a regular individual plan. nobody else is on my account. I do have a FAN discount through my medical school, if that matters.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I upgraded my dads line and 2GB wasn't available. It doesn't matter anyways cause the phone is going to my line which has 2GB data plan.

kcmo

Suspended
Apr 21, 2011
The same thing happened to me. I currently have a 2GB plan but when I preordered the iPhone 5, the 2GB didn't show. So I had to select the 3GB. I'll be calling AT&T though to confirm that I want to keep my 2GB plan!

Traderalways

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
The same thing happened to me. I currently have a 2GB plan but when I preordered the iPhone 5, the 2GB didn't show. So I had to select the 3GB. I'll be calling AT&T though to confirm that I want to keep my 2GB plan!

I'm sure u will work it out....

Last edited:

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
AT&T did that to me last year on my text plan. Pissed me off.

I've never ordered the phone through Apple before, always went with the carrier. I really liked the process with Apple this time... came up and said "current plan $30 unlimited data" and that was that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.