Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Does anyone know if the Lightning USB cable carries audio? Say I plug the USB into my car stereo and the other end into the iPhone 5. Will I be able to play music through the car stereo? I can't seem to find any information about this.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm thinking it might not, OP. Apple's site just mentions syncing and charging.

On the question about cars with USB, my own car doesn't have USB, but my company's fleet cars do. But, they also have an Aux jack, so I'll be fine. (My car also has an Aux jack).

The only thing I'm going to need is a lighting to usb cable for the office, and a new car charger. Mine is falling apart, so I'm fine with buying a new, hopefully more durable one.

cotxia

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
I can't find a reliable source, but it will definitely carry audio. Imagine the outcry from companies that create docks if it didn't. That industry would be killed.

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Many do these days.

Yep, my 2011 smart car has both USB and AUX. Unfortunately, the smart car line has 2 stereo systems, a basic one and a high end one. The basic one doesn't recognize the iPhone as an iPod, the high end ones does though. It's not an issue with the iPhone, but the stereos' software.

I'm limited to using the AUX, first world problems I know. :rolleyes:

andyriot

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2010
Really? What kind of car do you have?

I think almost any (all?) aftermarket stereos have iPod &/or USB hookups. A lot of the cars made in the past couple years also come with them stock. Is this really a shock to you?

kazpod

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
I think almost any (all?) aftermarket stereos have iPod &/or USB hookups. A lot of the cars made in the past couple years also come with them stock. Is this really a shock to you?

Yeah it is, never had an aftermarket stero, and my car has aux but not usb.

I have an 10 BMW and dont have usb either....

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I think it depends on your car.

The 30-pin to lightning adapter has a digital-to-analog converter that mimics the old behavior. So your iPhone 5 plus the adapter will work the same way prior iPhones do, carrying an analog line-level audio signal to the accessory.

MY VW GTI has an aftermarket accessory that connects the 30 pin connector and feeds a line-level signal into the radio. The cable isn't even USB: it's 30 pin Apple on one side and some kind of mini-din connector on the other side. Analog audio is flowing through this cable.

However, we also have a new Subaru Outback that has a USB connection to iPhone. USB, like lightning, is all digital. No analog signal is traveling through USB; it's purely a data connection. I believe (but am not sure) that the iPhone 5 and its lightning/USB cable will "just work" with this radio.

So if I'm right, it depends on your car radio's interface. If your car has a usb plug for your iPhone, expect it to work (but this is unconfirmed). If your car has a 30 pin connection for your iPhone and the other end of the cable is something other than USB (or you don't know because you can't see it) you'll need an adapter.

IMHO, YMMV.

Brenzo

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
Chicago
Yeah it is, never had an aftermarket stero, and my car has aux but not usb.

I have an 10 BMW and dont have usb either....

My '11 3 series has USB and Aux in the center arm rest.

But to answer the original poster's question, I really do not see how or why the cable would not carry audio. I don't think they would remove features, especially a major one like that. If they have, then a lot of people are going to be unhappy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.