Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mosco

macrumors regular
May 26, 2002
Here's the skinny on this. And I wish I knew about this earlier before I preordered my iPhone 5.

After the Keynote, I sent an email to Tim Cook. While I did not get an email back, they did call me and I just spoke with a representative. He gave me good news and bad news.

Good news: the adaptor will allow you to hook your phone up to your 30-pin connector to your car and your music will play out through the speakers.

Bad news: you will no longer be able to navigate through your songs and play them via the screen on your dashboard.

I hope this has clarified this issue for most. I see this as bad news, but at least something I can live with. That said, I probably would have held off on preordering.

Thats interesting. I guess that means it won't disable the on screen controls on the iPhone. If so, this is great news for me because I hate that disables the controls.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
Well, there's really no huge reason to love it. Basically anyone who used to connect their iPhone to the 30 pin connector will be now be basically connecting their iPhone into a makeshift Aux jack now. Except the adaptor will give the ability to charge your phone in addition, where the aux jack does not. Myself, I'll definitely be missing the songs on the screen of my dash. Or maybe I'll keep my 4S as an iPod. Having to sync 2 devices could be cumbersome though.

I'll have a car charger for charging, so not worried about that. I haven't had the songs on a screen on my car in years (after my 3GS, the ipod connector on my stereo was no longer compatible), so I've been using the aux for some time, and will simply continue to use it.

I like to use an ipod in my car anyway. The question will be do I stick to my tiny trusty 6th gen Nano, or get the new one. Decisions...

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Not that I'm trying to deflect the issue here, but I will say that in my personal experience, I am done with dock connectors in the car.

Last year I bought a 2013 Hyundai Elantra and was very excited about the iPod connection kit that they offered. The problem is that upon plugging it in, music starts automatically playing and can only be controlled by the stereo interface of the car, which makes navigating songs/artists/playlists basically impossible. This is clearly an issue with the interface and approach that Hyundai has selected.

As a result, I am going to go back to using a simple 3.5" male-to-male cable. Sure, the device won't charge, but at least I'll have control over my music in an interface that makes sense.

Edit: Bluetooth doesn't work well either. Siri really confuses it.

Long-story-short, Apple and the auto manufacturers are equally to blame in some cases.

rushluvr

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
Here's the skinny on this. And I wish I knew about this earlier before I preordered my iPhone 5.

After the Keynote, I sent an email to Tim Cook. While I did not get an email back, they did call me and I just spoke with a representative. He gave me good news and bad news.

Good news: the adaptor will allow you to hook your phone up to your 30-pin connector to your car and your music will play out through the speakers.

Bad news: you will no longer be able to navigate through your songs and play them via the screen on your dashboard.

I hope this has clarified this issue for most. I see this as bad news, but at least something I can live with. That said, I probably would have held off on preordering.

So this means video wont work either most likely. So glad I am sticking with my iPod touch for the car and avoiding the iphone 5 altogether.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Laaaame I just spent >$1000 on a Sony system that allows video from your phone. Looks like I'm sol until Sony comes out with another $75 adapter.

I honestly use Bluetooth mostly, but I was stuck waiting in a parking lot for my gf to finish shopping, and it was baller to be watching daily show in my truck.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
?. My 2011 335i w/ the iPhone pkg uses a regular dock connector cable & plugs into the cars' USB port. If the 2012 requires the BMW splitter cable they are going backwards -- had that on my '07.

Don't know what to say... the regular dock connector - USB cable doesn't work.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Don't know what to say... the regular dock connector - USB cable doesn't work.

Hang I'm a second. Currently I plug my iPhone 4s in to my BMW 335i via a a standard Apple 30 pin USB adaptor. This allows me to stream my music through the idrive system and gives me album artwork and access to Facebook and Twitter.
Are you saying that I will no longer have this function with the new 9 pin USB adaptor cable?

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
?. My 2011 335i w/ the iPhone pkg uses a regular dock connector cable & plugs into the cars' USB port. If the 2012 requires the BMW splitter cable they are going backwards -- had that on my '07.

He has the ConnectedDrive package which uses the Y cable. At least, that's my understanding of it- my M5 with the ConnectedDrive pkg uses the Y cable too.

As for my Audi... that uses a proprietary connector so I guess I'll be waiting for months before Audi releases another horrendously overpriced AMI cable :(

aztooh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Laaaame I just spent >$1000 on a Sony system that allows video from your phone. Looks like I'm sol until Sony comes out with another $75 adapter.

I honestly use Bluetooth mostly, but I was stuck waiting in a parking lot for my gf to finish shopping, and it was baller to be watching daily show in my truck.

Does your Sony have RCA input? I'd guess that it does. Go get a headphone-to-RCA cable and you'll be able to do video still. Quality might not be quite the same, but prob not far off. I had a Pioneer 7" unit in my old car, this is how I connected my iPhone/iPod for music and videos. In my new car, I just use the AUX connection. Both of these ways use the iPhone/iPod for controlling the content, but I prefer that to BT or some other companies interface. Much easier to find stuff using the iDevice.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Hang I'm a second. Currently I plug my iPhone 4s in to my BMW 335i via a a standard Apple 30 pin USB adaptor. This allows me to stream my music through the idrive system and gives me album artwork and access to Facebook and Twitter.
Are you saying that I will no longer have this function with the new 9 pin USB adaptor cable?

No idea what'll happen to your setup to be honest mate. I just know that a standard apple USB cable doesn't work with my BMW. It's a company car though, so maybe you have some optional extra that I don't.

I have to use a "splitter" that goes from 30pin dock connector at one end to headphone plug and usb connector at the other - both of which then plug into the two sockets in the arm rest.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
My new Audi A6 is in question and damn but if this is important to me....

More to follow I guess
Your Audi is a stellar car. One with a particularly advanced array of in car telematics, engine / transmission / drive train / suspension controls & automation.

I just took delivery of a new M3 as a daily driver, with a similar level of electronic controls. Literally just two days old, I've not had time to explore the possibility of using my iDevices.

While I fully embrace "Lightning" it will be interesting to see the auto industries response to it.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Bluetooth all the way.

I've been using one of these for maybe a year. Very happy with it.

No cables, no need for adapters.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I won't be buying the phone if I can't navigate through my car's controls. Screw that. I'm not going to be fiddling with my phone while driving and I'm not buying some expensive adapter to make the phone usable wither.

dunxxx

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
SF, CA

phillyred79

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
I use bluetooth in my Mercedes and prefer that over sticking it in the glovebox and connecting it to the interface. You lose some control over song selection etc on the car's interface, but I prefer to have the phone within arm's reach for various reasons. (Not texting of course!) ;)

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
No idea what'll happen to your setup to be honest mate. I just know that a standard apple USB cable doesn't work with my BMW. It's a company car though, so maybe you have some optional extra that I don't.

I have to use a "splitter" that goes from 30pin dock connector at one end to headphone plug and usb connector at the other - both of which then plug into the two sockets in the arm rest.

Mine has the 6FL combox which I understand handles all the electronics and software that allows IDrive to work with External audio and video. Christ I am really confused now. I might call BMW tomorrow

morecowbell

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
Do those work? I have a 30 pin that connects to my headunit in order to play. So you simply connect that to the end of the connection and then connect the phone to the adapter via blue tooth?

It's so amazing to me how many of you guys are dumb enough to even CONSIDER taking a brand new iphone 5 into a car with you. Where would you put it to stop it from moving? What if it got dented? What if it was too hot in the car. I would never consider removing my iphone from the house for the first 6 weeks and it would spend a MINIMUM of 16 hours a day in the box until it was properly broken in.

These aren't free, throw-away, phones people.

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
Your Audi is a stellar car. One with a particularly advanced array of in car telematics, engine / transmission / drive train / suspension controls & automation.

I just took delivery of a new M3 as a daily driver, with a similar level of electronic controls. Literally just two days old, I've not had time to explore the possibility of using my iDevices.

While I fully embrace "Lightning" it will be interesting to see the auto industries response to it.

Do you have combox and telematics in your m3 because that's what I have and it's awesome with the iPhone but I am worried about loss of functionality with iPhone 5

----------

It's so amazing to me how many of you guys are dumb enough to even CONSIDER taking a brand new iphone 5 into a car with you. Where would you put it to stop it from moving? What if it got dented? What if it was too hot in the car. I would never consider removing my iphone from the house for the first 6 weeks and it would spend a MINIMUM of 16 hours a day in the box until it was properly broken in.

These aren't free, throw-away, phones people.
My iphone is stored in the glove compartment and everything on the phone is controlled via the cars buttons and IDrive system

Jane333

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2012
Michigan USA
I just bought a cadillac srx and it does not support the iphone 4s through blue tooth so I am supposing it also won't support the 5. I can play music with the cable, but I can't control with the cars controls.

Cadillac - give us an update!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.