Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I just bought a cadillac srx and it does not support the iphone 4s through blue tooth so I am supposing it also won't support the 5. I can play music with the cable, but I can't control with the cars controls.

Cadillac - give us an update!

I'm surprised that you aren't blaming Apple for this.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Hang I'm a second. Currently I plug my iPhone 4s in to my BMW 335i via a a standard Apple 30 pin USB adaptor. This allows me to stream my music through the idrive system and gives me album artwork and access to Facebook and Twitter.
Are you saying that I will no longer have this function with the new 9 pin USB adaptor cable?

From what Apple told me, and only time will tell, is that the adaptor will preclude you from seeing album art, artist/track names in iDrive. You will only be able to hear the audio playing. What he wasn't entirely clear about was whether or not we can control the tracks via our steering wheels or iDrive wheel.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
I have a Ford Focus with Microsoft Sync. The car has both USB and AUX inputs. Crossing my fingers that it will work with the USB to lightning cable that comes with the phone. I think I read somewhere that Microsoft Sync systems are digital.

The car also has bluetooth and I can play music through bluetooth but I agree with others here. It doesn't sound as good as a direct connection.

Will find out next week I guess.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I'm surprised that you aren't blaming Apple for this.

I am. Everyone and their grandmother knew Apple was abandoning the 30 pin connector, but no one "officially" knew enough to begin making accessories available for it. Apple could have at least told the accessory makers earlier on.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well....for playing movies and music its not always the best or best quality option to BlueTooth it for my car...

Unless you have a premium sound system in your car and your tracks are apple lossless, most people probably won't notice the difference in quality between BT and USB.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
It's so amazing to me how many of you guys are dumb enough to even CONSIDER taking a brand new iphone 5 into a car with you.

1) Where would you put it to stop it from moving? What if it got dented?

2) What if it was too hot in the car.

1) That's easy, I Velcro it below my radar detector.

2) The ambient temps never exceed 106f where I live.
That's less than 190f within the interior while locked up & parked.

Call us dumb & you get a dumb answer. DUH!

Generally people that buy high quality luxury cars are smart enough to understand the proper care & feeding of a smartphone.

YMMV

kcossabo

macrumors member
May 25, 2011
Virginia, USA
From what Apple told me, and only time will tell, is that the adaptor will preclude you from seeing album art, artist/track names in iDrive. You will only be able to hear the audio playing. What he wasn't entirely clear about was whether or not we can control the tracks via our steering wheels or iDrive wheel.

I think the CAR market is too big for Apple to remove all capability. Change it and make everything obsolete, ya, they could do that and need a new 'digital' brick to talk to the new phone....

I am in the process of adding an Alpine system to the truck and asked the dealer about iPhone5... as expected no word yet....

swpars

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Seattle, WA
This is why I went for a standard AUX input in my BMW 3-series (E46) and didn't elect to get an iPod cable.

I figured there would be a day when I might not be using an Apple product or at least one without a standard Apple connector, and I was right. Guess that day has come since I've preordered an iPhone 5.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
Unless you have a premium sound system in your car and your tracks are apple lossless, most people probably won't notice the difference in quality between BT and USB.
Maybe most people but not me. As noted above, the bluetooth audio sounds compressed.

swpars

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Seattle, WA
It's so amazing to me how many of you guys are dumb enough to even CONSIDER taking a brand new iphone 5 into a car with you. Where would you put it to stop it from moving? What if it got dented? What if it was too hot in the car. I would never consider removing my iphone from the house for the first 6 weeks and it would spend a MINIMUM of 16 hours a day in the box until it was properly broken in.

These aren't free, throw-away, phones people.

Is this a non-sarcastic post?

I use a $20 Arkon beanbag smartphone mount that I bought off Amazon for my in-car solution for my iPhone 4. Used it 2 days after I got it on launch day in June 2010 for GPS navigation with the Navigon app. It worked great.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Do you have combox and telematics in your m3
On this particular car I do not. As a very frequent long time M Division customer, I was offered the distinct privilege of purchasing & being directly involved with the configuration of my car. I was invited to come to the M facility & select the various components, systems & subsystems in concert with an M engineer, up front before the build process was started.

My background as a sportscar racer, reflects why I prefer a performance first automobile as compared to a luxury / touring type car. Since I will also be using mine for track days, I elected to delete the rear seat & related niceties.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
It's so amazing to me how many of you guys are dumb enough to even CONSIDER taking a brand new iphone 5 into a car with you. Where would you put it to stop it from moving? What if it got dented? What if it was too hot in the car. I would never consider removing my iphone from the house for the first 6 weeks and it would spend a MINIMUM of 16 hours a day in the box until it was properly broken in.

6/10

needs more cowbell

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
1) That's easy, I Velcro it below my radar detector.

2) The ambient temps never exceed 106f where I live.
That's less than 190f within the interior while locked up & parked.

Call us dumb & you get a dumb answer. DUH!

Generally people that buy high quality luxury cars are smart enough to understand the proper care & feeding of a smartphone.

YMMV

I don't own a high quality luxury car and I've had no problems taking care of my phone in my car. Since my car is a 2001 I opted for one of those car adapter mounts that runs audio through the FM freqs. So that takes car of it moving around. And while it does get considerably warm while I use it for GPS on this same mount (especially if it's hot and in sun is shining onto it at the right angle) I am able to point one of my A/C vents directly onto it so I can also keep it cool.

Does ixodes think that we leave our phones in our car all day long in the heat of the day or something? I really hope it was a troll post.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
He has the ConnectedDrive package which uses the Y cable. At least, that's my understanding of it- my M5 with the ConnectedDrive pkg uses the Y cable too.

As for my Audi... that uses a proprietary connector so I guess I'll be waiting for months before Audi releases another horrendously overpriced AMI cable :(

I have the connected drive pkg too... Uses a regular dock connector. They must have changed it for 2012. Bizarre.

Hippyshakes

macrumors member
Original poster

My god I sure hope this was a joke, cause it made me spit my beer through my nose laughing....

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I think the CAR market is too big for Apple to remove all capability. Change it and make everything obsolete, ya, they could do that and need a new 'digital' brick to talk to the new phone....

I am in the process of adding an Alpine system to the truck and asked the dealer about iPhone5... as expected no word yet....

I hope you're right, but I'm just telling you what they told me. However, given Apple's attitude/position, I really don't think they think it's their responsibility to make sure the iPhone 5 works with current accessories, but the responsibility lies with the accessory manufacturer. But, yeah, I think Apple's giving everyone involved the middle finger.

----------

My god I sure hope this was a joke, cause it made me spit my beer through my nose laughing....

It has to be a joke. Got many people though.

tiwizard

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
My car's pretty old so I don't have any cable connections, but the Bluetooth FM transmitter I have works pretty well... It even works with Siri :)

Even if it does compress audio, there's no way I'd notice because I'm not exactly concentrating 100% on music while driving a car...

jamets515

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Gloucester, UK
This is very interesting. I have an after market Kenwood head unit which, when plugged into an iPhone using the Garmin Sat Nav app, shows the navigation info on the 7" screen of the unit. The iPhone can then be changed to another screen within the Garmin app such as traffic information. This feature doesn't work wirelessly.

Music can be streamed via bluetooth or down the cable at the same time.

I hope this is still compatible with Lightning and the adapter. The best bit is the Netflix app can stream on to that head unit as well...

Gozar

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
6/10

needs more cowbell

Mine goes to 11....

:rolleyes:

This is for the true audiophile who also uses cable feet to keep all cables elevated off any surface, and "room harmonizers" using specific resonance material to offset any conflicting standing waves which might alter the audio quality.
I plan to burn in my new Lightning cable for a min of 200hrs prior to use sending digital pink noise through it utilizing "Dave's special all natural green full spectrum pink noise break-in cd" which guarantees to "lift the veil" from your digital audio!
:cool:

Take a deep breath

griefrev

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Louisville, KY
Excerpt:
Current Kia and Hyundai models, and older BMW models, use an adapter cable that feeds the analog audio signal from the 30-pin connector to a 1/8-inch audio input, and a USB port to feed control signals between iPhone and car. Lightning does not have the capability to send an analog signal, so Apple's adapter will not work in those vehicles. [/B]

My new Audi A6 is in question and damn but if this is important to me....

More to follow I guess[/QUOTE]

I never did like the on-screen interface on my Hyundai Tuscon when I used their connector, nor did I like the sound. I much prefer a charger and a mini-phono cable to the audio input.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
I have a Ford Focus with Microsoft Sync. The car has both USB and AUX inputs. Crossing my fingers that it will work with the USB to lightning cable that comes with the phone. I think I read somewhere that Microsoft Sync systems are digital.

The car also has bluetooth and I can play music through bluetooth but I agree with others here. It doesn't sound as good as a direct connection.

Will find out next week I guess.

I'm in the same boat... Ford with MS Sync. Guess I'll find out next week when I get the device.

Ugh, I dread having to either buy all new cables everywhere I sit my phone down.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
BMW has a USB package that is for use with the iPhone. I think it will work with the new iPhone since it only uses the iPhone cable to connect to the sound system. While I mainly just use bluetooth audio with the iPhone and a Classic iPod via the connector, using the connector with the iPhone offers a lot of options. You can control MOG, Pandora, Web radio, Twitter, and Facebook from the Nav screen using BMW apps if you have an iPhone plugged in.

In other words, bluetooth audio does not do everything that plugging it in will do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.