Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I've been researching posts in the forums but nothing is recent (2010 last post) nor recent by device (iPhone 3Gs being most recent).

Is their anyway to record a phone conversation on an iPhone 4 / 4S? Right now I use an iPod with a Belkin attachment to record presentations, seminars and meetings that I am on. I don't want to carry an additional device to my meetings or lay something else down while I'm on a call. So is their any way for me to just use my iPhone 4S to record a call / meetings?

I'm not doing this illegally so please don't harp on this, all Customer Service calls are to be recorded and all Presentations, Meetings, Seminar's, etc are to be as well for training purposes. I just have no desire to spend thousands on a device for my office since I travel 90% of the time and all I carry is my phone, macbook pro and a travel bag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
I've been researching posts in the forums but nothing is recent (2010 last post) nor recent by device (iPhone 3Gs being most recent).

Is their anyway to record a phone conversation on an iPhone 4 / 4S? Right now I use an iPod with a Belkin attachment to record presentations, seminars and meetings that I am on. I don't want to carry an additional device to my meetings or lay something else down while I'm on a call. So is their any way for me to just use my iPhone 4S to record a call / meetings?

I'm not doing this illegally so please don't harp on this, all Customer Service calls are to be recorded and all Presentations, Meetings, Seminar's, etc are to be as well for training purposes. I just have no desire to spend thousands on a device for my office since I travel 90% of the time and all I carry is my phone, macbook pro and a travel bag.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Gogle voice will you record incoming calls. Not sure what will let you record outgoing calls

AFPoster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Gogle voice will you record incoming calls. Not sure what will let you record outgoing calls

How do you setup Google Voice without getting a different phone number? Last I tried it had me setup an account, provide a number and then I got a different number that I'm supposed to use and then it said I had fee's to pay on top of my regular AT&T bill. Any advice on setting it up correctly? Googling right now as well.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
The law in most states says that one party that is being recorded has to know that the line is being recorded. Meaning I can record my calls I just can't tap your phone and record party a and party b is I'm not on the call. Just wanted to clear that up.

SporkLover

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011
The law in most states says that one party that is being recorded has to know that the line is being recorded. Meaning I can record my calls I just can't tap your phone and record party a and party b is I'm not on the call. Just wanted to clear that up.

.....what ?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
How do you setup Google Voice without getting a different phone number? Last I tried it had me setup an account, provide a number and then I got a different number that I'm supposed to use and then it said I had fee's to pay on top of my regular AT&T bill. Any advice on setting it up correctly? Googling right now as well.

GV is free to use as far as having a phone number, and making and receiving domestic calls and SMS. You only have to pay if you want to make international calls. Here are details on voice recording with it:

http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/07/how-to-record-phone-calls-for-free-with-google-voice/

AFAIK you will have to jailbreak to record calls incognito / without the call being routed through GV or some other VOIP type of service.

harryhill

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2008

I have a google number. Have to sign up. Record ONLY incoming calls.Press 4.

Idefix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012

True but misleading, since 12 states require that all parties consent.

"Under United States federal law and most state laws there is nothing illegal about one of the parties to a telephone call recording the conversation, or giving permission for calls to be recorded or permitting their telephone line to be tapped. However, several states (e.g., California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Oregon and Washington) require that all parties consent when one party wants to record a telephone conversation. Many businesses and other organizations record their telephone calls so that they can prove what was said, train their staff, or monitor performance. This activity may not be considered telephone tapping in some, but not all, jurisdictions because it is done with the knowledge of at least one of the parties to the telephone conversation. The Telephone recording laws in some U.S. states require only one party to be aware of the recording, while other states require both parties to be aware. It is considered better practice to announce at the beginning of a call that the conversation is being recorded."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_recording_laws#United_States

That's a sizable number of folks...

billuptracyo

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
The law in most states says that one party that is being recorded has to know that the line is being recorded.
a121.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.