Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
I was going to get White for my iPhone 5 but one thing that's been completely ignored in the media and discussions is how "legacy" apps will look like on the wider screen.

Phil Schiller showed us how it will work with black borders being used "and you wont even notice they're there".

apps-letterboxing-575x325.jpg

Based on the demo it seems seamless... on a black iPhone. But what about on the white iPhone? I wasnt able to find anyone show us how it will look in reality so I whipped up a bad photoshop.

2w5sgo4.jpg

I have to say that's pretty distracting on white, but what does everyone else think? Would this change your color preference or are you able to ignore the letterboxing?

Edit:
Added photos from TheVerge that chembox pointed out
2012-09-12iphone5-3-5_gallery_post.jpg

djay_letterbox.jpg

Last edited:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
The black is a nice contrast so I don't think it's that bad. However, the silverish back looks awful with white which is why I'd go for the black with the "slate" bezel.

bkb1777

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
WV
That exact reason is why I changed from white to black. I have a white 4S and was dead set on getting white, then I decided to get black. Also, cases seem to be made more for black iphones vs white iphones. Just my own opinion of course. :D

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I was going to get White for my iPhone 5 but one thing that's been completely ignored in the media and discussions is how "legacy" apps will look like on the wider screen.

Phil Schiller showed us how it will work with black borders being used "and you wont even notice they're there".

Based on the demo it seems seamless... on a black iPhone. But what about on the white iPhone? I wasnt able to find anyone show us how it will look in reality so I whipped up a bad photoshop.

I have to say that's pretty distracting on white, but what does everyone else think? Would this change your color preference or are you able to ignore the letterboxing?
Never thought of that, another reason added as to why I didn't get the white this time, along with the fact that I find the back to be tacky as hell with the white/silver.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

I think its an App i wouldnt use and i like the white phone better. Also looks like a screw up and hes trying to play it off saying you wont notice it.

----------

That exact reason is why I changed from white to black. I have a white 4S and was dead set on getting white, then I decided to get black. Also, cases seem to be made more for black iphones vs white iphones. Just my own opinion of course. :D

White goes with everything so i dont agree there.

chembox

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Both colors look pretty sleek and amazing, however, coming from a black iPhone 4, I'm going with white/silver, and I think it looks really good.

2012-09-12iphone5hands-4_gallery_post.jpg

2012-09-12iphone5hands-14_gallery_post.jpg

Border effect:

The black borders are a temporary issue, just like non-retina apps in iOS 4. Chances are, if an app isn't being supported and upgraded to iOS 6 compatibility, I'm going to delete it.

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2012
Border effect: Image

The black borders are a temporary issue, just like non-retina apps in iOS 4. Chances are, if an app isn't being supported and upgraded to iOS 6 compatibility, I'm going to delete it.

But compare that to Schillers demo on a black iPhone where its not nearly as noticeable.

djay_letterbox.jpg

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I was originally going to get a white but ended up getting the black again. The letter boxing was part of the decision. Also I like how the front of the black one looks sleek when it's off. You don't see the camera and speaker and the screen. It just disappears better. I figured the same would apply for the letter boxing depending on how fast people update their apps.

krizko

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
The smudges / fingerprints on the black iPhone has always been far more of an issue for me than this letterbox issue will be, I think.

Codepiink

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Westchester County, NY
Like Phil said in the keynote, the app developers weren't given enough time to make a newer app to fit the dimensions of the iPhone 5 screen, that's the only reason you have the black borders. It seems silly to me to base your phone color choice on whether or not those temporary borders will be noticeable or not...

Radeon85

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
I wouldn't even worry about the letterbox issue, most apps will be updated quickly anyway, same as when retina came out. Developers aren't going to want poor reviews.

I ordered the white iPhone 5 one as the original iPhone 4 black got on my nerves being covered in fingerprints even with clean hands, the 4S white was a huge improvement as fingerprints were almost non existent apart from the screen. Thats why I went for white again.

The new black one is stunning though and I almost went for it.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
The black is a nice contrast so I don't think it's that bad. However, the silverish back looks awful with white which is why I'd go for the black with the "slate" bezel.

Here's a reason I thought might suck about the black (I prefer the black and always prefer black when it comes to anything with a screen).

Anodized aluminum in my experience ends up having the color wear off and start looking really old and worn out. And scratches easy and they show up really easy on the color. At least with the white one it's just the aluminim color so the scratches won't show up as easily.

7even

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
I wouldn't even worry about the letterbox issue, most apps will be updated quickly anyway, same as when retina came out. Developers aren't going to want poor reviews.

I ordered the white iPhone 5 one as the original iPhone 4 black got on my nerves being covered in fingerprints even with clean hands, the 4S white was a huge improvement as fingerprints were almost non existent apart from the screen. Thats why I went for white again.

The new black one is stunning though and I almost went for it.

This. I know the black bars would bother me no matter the color of the phone around it, but the apps I use most often will be updated quickly enough.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.