Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
did any of you guys reserve your phone through the rogers.com/myaccount web site? if so, what number where you?

i tried staying up, but even around 12:10am the site was under maintenance. i ended up waking up 3:00 and doing it. I'm number 462.

Better than nothing i guess:D

I'm 4434. But I'm kind of hoping that I won't get it for a few weeks so I can scavenge the $50 credit they will give me if it takes longer than 2 weeks to get my the phone after the 21st.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
I stopped by the Rogers kiosk in town here and they gave me a nano-sim after explaining I preordered an unlocked model through apple.

Asylump

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
I stopped by the Rogers kiosk in town here and they gave me a nano-sim after explaining I preordered an unlocked model through apple.

Good to hear, I'll stop by tomorrow and grab one.

Anyone know if I can switch the SIMs online or will we need to call in on Friday?

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Got a 16 through apple. But when I went to fido they only had 16s available gift from the start. WTF is that??

Phoned them. Apparently they are only getting in 16GB to start with. Also only selling discounted when you sign up for 3 years! They're blaming Apple for that but that makes no sense when the US carriers are offering 2 year deals. Methinks the Canadian carriers have stitched this all up for 3 year only deals for iPhones.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Tried ordering mine all morning since 6AM EST when I got up for work. The Rogers site finally started working and I got my reservation in at around 9:30. 2400th in line isn't too bad :).

rocketkev

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011

16 in line for the black 64GB...went through at about 5:35EST

Nice spot in line. You probably beat me by a few seconds :)

Iphone_me_2.png

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
I'm 4434. But I'm kind of hoping that I won't get it for a few weeks so I can scavenge the $50 credit they will give me if it takes longer than 2 weeks to get my the phone after the 21st.

i thought you only get it if your device hasn't been shipped in 15 days?

----------

"Thank you for using this online system to reserve a new wireless device for pick up at a participating store. As a limited time offer, if your device doesn’t ship within 14 days from launch or reservation, whichever is later, we'll apply a $50 credit to your account as our thanks for your patience."

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
did any of you guys reserve your phone through the rogers.com/myaccount web site? if so, what number where you?

i tried staying up, but even around 12:10am the site was under maintenance. i ended up waking up 3:00 and doing it. I'm number 462.

Better than nothing i guess:D

I reserved two through rogers, I'm at 140 and 150 :)

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
A lot of unlocked phones being bought. Is it really worth spending so much extra instead of just going through a carrier?

ShaolinX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
A lot of unlocked phones being bought. Is it really worth spending so much extra instead of just going through a carrier?

For me, the freedom of choice is. Granted, given the monopoly by the 'big 3' carriers, that may just be an illusion -- but I still prefer to have limited choice than being locked in for 3 years with one, and no option to switch until the contract is over.

DjStiky

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2007
What do you guys think my chances are getting it on the 21st if I am number 58 in line through Fido? It's for a 64GB white.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
i thought you only get it if your device hasn't been shipped in 15 days?

----------

"Thank you for using this online system to reserve a new wireless device for pick up at a participating store. As a limited time offer, if your device doesn’t ship within 14 days from launch or reservation, whichever is later, we'll apply a $50 credit to your account as our thanks for your patience."

I know. If it takes 15 days after the 21st then I'm okay with that. If it comes before then I'm also happy.

----------

For me, the freedom of choice is. Granted, given the monopoly by the 'big 3' carriers, that may just be an illusion -- but I still prefer to have limited choice than being locked in for 3 years with one, and no option to switch until the contract is over.

The problem is they don't give you great deals on voice and data unless you are locking in for the long term. Unless you are going to a smaller carrier like WIND or one of those guys with no contract options.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

Really depends on one's needs. Bell is still on an older subsidy/cancellation model but the others are basing your contract/cancellation on the discount/subsidy you receive.

Getting an iPhone at a discount over 3 years is essentially saving you ~$14/month. Good deal if you have a decent plan and can do this upgrade.

I was shopping around plans and landed on Koodo for $60/month when they had the promo. It doesn't come with a deep hardware subsidy, but anything comparable would have been around $90ish or more from other carriers. Non-subsidized hardware and this plan work out to be cheaper, and I have an unlocked phone as well that helps while travelling.

apesta

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
I ordered mine last night at 12 using the app. Most likely it will arrive on the 21st. I want to ask the people that had experience pre-ordering from Apple, I most likely will miss the courier delivery that day. Would I be able to go pick up at their drop off retail office the same day?

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I ordered mine last night at 12 using the app. Most likely it will arrive on the 21st. I want to ask the people that had experience pre-ordering from Apple, I most likely will miss the courier delivery that day. Would I be able to go pick up at their drop off retail office the same day?

Apparently if you know you won't be home you can call UPS/FedEX once you have a tracking number and tell them to hold the package at the local facility for pickup at 8am and it will never even go out on the truck to attempt delivery.

ShaolinX

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
The problem is they don't give you great deals on voice and data unless you are locking in for the long term. Unless you are going to a smaller carrier like WIND or one of those guys with no contract options.

Yeah, I just read about the re-released 6 GB plans put out by Bell, Rogers, Telus and Koodo. With the exception of Koodo, with a price point @ $65, the big 3 are sitting at $70+ for virtually identical plans. Fido is allegedly releasing its offer later next week.

HIGHWAY ROBBERY, man the collusion disgusts me. Weren't there 6 GB plans at $60 just a couple of months ago??

Unfortunately, very unfortunately, I don't believe Wind or Mobilicity use bands supported by the iPhone 5? Hence no option to choose them. I'd go with Mobilicity if they did, though.

apesta

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2010
Apparently if you know you won't be home you can call UPS/FedEX once you have a tracking number and tell them to hold the package at the local facility for pickup at 8am and it will never even go out on the truck to attempt delivery.

oh that sounds great. hopefully there will be a work around. i dont get off work till 4 pm and its weekend, i don't want to wait till monday!

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
That's the million dollar question isn't it. I don't NEED it to be unlocked since I pretty much just use wifi when I'm traveling. My house back home, cafes, hotels etc. Also picking up pre-paid sims for two weeks here and there (even back home) use has proven to be impossible even if I did have an unlocked phone. $700 all at once compared with a few bucks a month is a big difference. However the price works out to be the same in the end does it not? So sometimes I think I might as well get my moneys worth and buy unlocked on Apple Canada and get my family to ship it to me here.

There is also one more possible advantage I just realized which could be a HUGE bonus. I have JB my iP4 for two years here in Japan so I could tether my iPad to my iPhone. (SoftBank Japan here disables the HotSpot button. Can you believe it?). If I buy factory from Apple Canada I BELIEVE this feature is enabled by default which means I won't have to JB. This is the ONLY reason I JB.

Would I correct in assuming this about a factory phone from Apple Canada?

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
I know this isn't entirely on-topic, but if you're lining up at the apple store, do you get treated differently or go through a different lineup if you're planning to buy an unlocked phone?

I was up at 3:20 am est and the apple site wasn't working, got up at 7:20 and it was shipping 2 weeks later :( so now I would have to line up to get it day and date. But I was wondering if because I was planning to buy an unlocked one, I would potentially get it faster than people getting upgrades at the apple store.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
I know this isn't entirely on-topic, but if you're lining up at the apple store, do you get treated differently or go through a different lineup if you're planning to buy an unlocked phone?

I was up at 3:20 am est and the apple site wasn't working, got up at 7:20 and it was shipping 2 weeks later :( so now I would have to line up to get it day and date. But I was wondering if because I was planning to buy an unlocked one, I would potentially get it faster than people getting upgrades at the apple store.

Retail stores are not selling unlocked phones this year. You can only get unlocked online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.