Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
I have the connected drive pkg too... Uses a regular dock connector. They must have changed it for 2012. Bizarre.

Interesting. Does it also have the iPod out feature?

BMW-iPod-Out-Apple.png

I'm thinking that it's only the BMW-specific iPod out feature that won't work (as it's actually called 'iPod out', rather than iPod connectivity or the like).

I can't remember whether or not the music playback feature works with just the white Apple cable connected, but I do know that for the ConnectedDrive features/BMW Apps/video playback I need the Y cable connected.

Oh right, better sound quality from a sub par car audio system playing uber compressed and frequency poor mp3's (or equivalent). Right, I get it you're an audiophile. :rolleyes:

Way to generalize.

Subpar car audio system, yeah, not in my cars.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
Oh right, better sound quality from a sub par car audio system playing uber compressed and frequency poor mp3's (or equivalent). Right, I get it you're an audiophile. :rolleyes:

I'm not but the sound is clearly better with a direct wired connection over bluetooth. Compare the two sometime. It isn't hard to hear the difference.

Also, FCC regs apply that the device must accept any and all interference from surrounding sources and with bluetooth, it does.

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
Mine goes to 11....

:rolleyes:

This is for the true audiophile who also uses cable feet to keep all cables elevated off any surface, and "room harmonizers" using specific resonance material to offset any conflicting standing waves which might alter the audio quality.
I plan to burn in my new Lightning cable for a min of 200hrs prior to use sending digital pink noise through it utilizing "Dave's special all natural green full spectrum pink noise break-in cd" which guarantees to "lift the veil" from your digital audio!
:cool:

Take a deep breath
I'll give that a 7.341/10

A full 10 though if you use these cables:
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AKDL1-Dedicated-Link-Cable/dp/B000I1X6PM

A review:

3,928 of 3,999 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars I don't have much time., June 23, 2008
By*John L. (Border of Wasteland, Former USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Denon AKDL1 Dedicated Link Cable (Electronics)
This connection isn't sound. If my calculations are correct, it should be sometime around 2007 for whomever is reading this. DO NOT USE THESE CABLES. Something... happens with them. Something came through, something from somewhere else. We were overrun in days, not many of us are left. WE LIVE UNDERGROUND! ONLY YOU CAN STOP IT NOW. SAVE US. DO NOT USE THESE CABLES.

I don't have much time. This connection isn't sound. If my calculations are correct, it should be--

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Interesting. Does it also have the iPod out feature?

Off hand I'm not sure. I never hook up my phone b/c I then forget to take it out. I have a shuffle hooked up & I know that does not have the iPod interface, just the BMW one. I'll have to hook up my iPhone and see what happens. I'll let you know.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
According to PC World: ipod out not supported.

Unfortunately, there's also a second frustration with the adapters themselves, and it has to do with Apple's changeover to an all-digital 8-pin port. With both adapters, Apple says you'll get analog audio output, USB audio output, iPhone/iPod syncing, and iPhone/iPod charging. But—and this is important—neither adapter supports iPod Video Out or its iPod Out protocol.

trevorlc

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
It's not just older BMW's. I've got a 2012 3 series, and that uses the same "splitter" cable.

You do not have to use that splitter cable....

My 2009 BMW 335 had that cable, they transferred it to my new 2012 when I bought it but they said you can use the regular USB that comes with the phone. I had never done it because I always use the snap in dock for my phone but you freaked me out so I just went and used a standard Apple iPod cable and the stereo gets music, allows control, playlists and even still will do album art and BMW Apps. Only 2 things I didn't see available via the regular USB cable VS the Snap in dock is Video and that weird iPod Interface (pictured above) that I think is what we now know to be called ipod out. No problem for me though because I always use the ipod interface in the regular media section anyways.

Based on this I'm guessing the iPhone 5 will work fine via cable until they come out with a new snap in dock.

Last edited:

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
Well....for playing movies and music its not always the best or best quality option to BlueTooth it for my car...

op you say you have a new audi yet don't use BT audio or even think the quality isn't as good as plug in over BT? lol i have a 2011 VW gti and use BT audio every can't even tell the difference when i plug in and use it through MMI

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
If sound quality is no big deal to you then ya, "bluetooth that sucka all day, yo."

But if you are an audiophile, you are gonna want to usb that sucka all day...yo.

lol if you really were an "audiophile" you probably would use CDs. BTA sounds fantastic in modern cars,it's music coming out of an iPhone it does the job.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I'm wicked confused. If my car has a head unit with USB input and I buy this new iPhone, will I be able to get audio via the USB - Lightning cable or will I have to use a 30 pin cable with an adapter?

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
I'm in the same boat... Ford with MS Sync. Guess I'll find out next week when I get the device.

Ugh, I dread having to either buy all new cables everywhere I sit my phone down.

Great news for you and Chris. Ford sync systems use USB connect that is digital - no analog is required. So the iPhone will work with a Lightning to USB cable. The newer cars also support bluetooth connect. I have a Edge with MyFord Touch and have been using iOS 6 in it for the entire time of the beta without any problem, in fact iOS 6 adds support for the Bluetooth MAP protocol allowing Sync to read you your texts.

1m4tr

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2012
Great news for you and Chris. Ford sync systems use USB connect that is digital - no analog is required. So the iPhone will work with a Lightning to USB cable. The newer cars also support bluetooth connect. I have a Edge with MyFord Touch and have been using iOS 6 in it for the entire time of the beta without any problem, in fact iOS 6 adds support for the Bluetooth MAP protocol allowing Sync to read you your texts.

That indeed is great news. Thanks for that scoop for us SYNC users.

M87

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2009
The adapter has a DAC. (it converts digital audio to analog, that article you posted is pure BS)

brandnewrock22

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2011
I just bought a 2012 Civic LX in June--no bluetooth, just a USB connector in the armrest.

This will work, since I'd be able to plug my Lightning USB directly into the USB slot--right?

I have only hooked up my iPhone 4 via USB with the car so far, but it's worked flawlessly. I'm not too familiar with the compatibility with other devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.