Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
To be very honest I think the new nano looks like a cheap china made ipod it looks kind of fake and the way they have designed the icons round still icons bluetooth isn't a big deal they should have included it last year than leaving the iPod line untouched with out any upgrades to it.

To be honest i think apple have lost it with the iPod line.:(

I think it looks cheap too. When Steve Jobs was introducing the iPod Nano 6g, and he showed the 5g with the clickwheel removed and just the screen, I thought that was going to be the new nano. I don't really like this design. In terms of functionality, I think it's better than the 6th gen nano. I used a 6th gen nano and I wasn't able to control it because of the sweat on my hands. I think for the gym, the shuffle is a far superior choice. Plus, if you're lifting heavy dumbbells, and it happens to come off your pants/shirt/(insert article of clothing) as you set down or drop the dumbbell, the cost of replacing it is very small.

----------

The best iPod nano was the 5th generation. That should have been the (at least) 2-year design, not the 6th gen or this thing. It's gaudy - no new features, just bringing back video they eliminated 2 years before - and I don't even think they allow you to change the background. I really wish the iPod Touch wasn't so damn expensive - could they really not just scrap the 4th gen and have an 8 or 16 GB new iPod Touch start at $199? At first, I didn't like those either - I still don't like the colored ones, but the black and white models are growing on me. Well, except that stupid "Loop" button- that will never grow on me, it's just gimmicky.

iPod touch mini!

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 25, 2009
Another hands on:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ngjj_WorKDs

I don't really think it looks cheap at all. Instead, it looks like it's well built.
It has a multi touch screen, which should make it very easy to browse through songs. It's designed to be a music player, not a gaming platform, web browser or other, and I like that idea, thus the dumbed down OS. Which makes complete sense to me. Such a small display wouldn't allow much, but they added support to photos and videos too.
Basing on my use, it would be the perfect player for me.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I think it's great, pre-ordered one in blue. Probably will end up with all the colors in one point as this is my favorite design ever for the nano. I think this is the start of them adding more space to future models. I think the shuffle is nearing its EOL.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
How to attach while lifting weights or running? Arm bands don't work for me when I'm lifting, I have a heart rate monitor strap across my chest, the monitor/watch on my wrist, so the best place would be to clip on my shirt. Maybe I could Velcro the nano to a small chip-clip?

I like the looks of the new nano a lot. Couldn't care less about FM radio or Nike+, just would like larger capacity than a shuffle. Maybe the didn't increase the capacity of the shuffle to try and move people like me to the nano.

Bluetooth... You're supposed to stick it in a pocket (or sock or where ever) and listen using Bluetooth headphones. I guess Apple doesn't think you want to control it much while working out. Of course, 3rd-party clips will be available shortly.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Bluetooth... You're supposed to stick it in a pocket (or sock or where ever) and listen using Bluetooth headphones. I guess Apple doesn't think you want to control it much while working out. Of course, 3rd-party clips will be available shortly.

Well, my Bluetooth headphones have volume and track controls built into them, so controlling the iPod while it's in a pocket is not a problem.

I really like the idea of having one of these new nanos in my car. My only wish is that if it had wifi then it could automatically download music as I buy it from iTunes. I have that feature enabled on my iPhone and iPad (and of course iTunes on my Mac) and it's really handy that I can buy an album in one place and automagically have it show up on my other devices.

Huge125

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Like seriously wtf? I think all they should have added was bluetooth to the 6th gen Nano and maybe a battery life increase. It was PERFECT in size and I LOVE using it as a watch. I was so looking foward to being able to read text messages on it after I received them on my iPhone but they just decide to go and make it bigger. Thanks, but no thanks Apple

Agree, and I thought that was the direction they were moving towards especially since it appears they embraced the watch concept by offering different faces on the last update. I mean they have to have technical abilities to add BT to the smaller form factor and make it connect to an iPhone. I just don't understand why they didnt.

Swing and a miss. I think they are testing the waters to see just how many different iPods Apple fans are willing to buy. As someone else mentioned, I bet the current design is gone in a year and they move back the smaller design and eliminate the shuffle.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Well, my Bluetooth headphones have volume and track controls built into them, so controlling the iPod while it's in a pocket is not a problem.

I really like the idea of having one of these new nanos in my car. My only wish is that if it had wifi then it could automatically download music as I buy it from iTunes. I have that feature enabled on my iPhone and iPad (and of course iTunes on my Mac) and it's really handy that I can buy an album in one place and automagically have it show up on my other devices.

They all pretty much have basic controls but they all pretty much suck, too (IMO). But im happy with the new nano. Personally, I'd prefer no cords to native controls.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Well, here's a theory, and only based on what's out there... A lot of people have issues with the LiveView and Sony Smartwatch disconnecting. Maybe they prototyped the bluetooth nano with the watch form factor and it didn't meet their standards because it had the same issue as those other products.

I would have loved the wireless iTunes syncing too.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Considering one of these possibly in the near future. Interface looks okay, the icons are kind of ugly in my opinion. It looks like a nice form factor though and the size is nice.

I have a 160GB iPod Classic. Is there even a market for that if I wanted to sell it? Haha, like who even wants that? I love the design of it and the interface but it makes so much noise and the like. It's also much more capacity than I actually need.

limonade

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2008
Montreal, Canada

awful white plastic strip on the back for bluetooth connection. Steve would have never allowed this.

I agree with you. The new iPod nano is such a shame.

ipod-nano-4g.jpg

This generation looked way better.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Considering one of these possibly in the near future. Interface looks okay, the icons are kind of ugly in my opinion. It looks like a nice form factor though and the size is nice.

I have a 160GB iPod Classic. Is there even a market for that if I wanted to sell it? Haha, like who even wants that? I love the design of it and the interface but it makes so much noise and the like. It's also much more capacity than I actually need.

I've been trimming down my library. But I would still love one of these in a 64 GB flavor to replace my 120 GB iPod classic. The software is really painful to use after having the touch interface.

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
Beauty or a beast?

Even though the iPod Nano has experienced (or still is experiencing) much of an identity crisis, previous generations have all been very stylish and cool.

I agree with previous posts that the 7th gen is somewhat of a cheap looking thing that doesn't seem to conform to Apples high standards. Those brightly colored, rounded icons and color matched background look horrible. Can I say "Yuk!" right here... The icons kinda look like M&M's. I wonder if this will give anyone the urge to want to shake the device up and down to see if the icons rattle around. :p

....but, having said that the Slate version does look nice. However those icons still look bad on this one.

As for watching videos, isn't the screen a little too small?
I think I would be more interested in having simple game apps to play with than watching video.

Still no WiFi. That would have made it possible to directly download podcasts and tunes from the iTunes store.
Wireless syncing with iTunes would have been nice too. For example, if you're someone that likes to leave your Nano connected up in the car, then you could simply start iTunes on your Mac or PC, sync to your Nano then add/remove tunes, update playlists etc remotely. No more unplugging from the car then connecting to your computer and all that rigamarole every time.
Oh well, maybe next generation... ??

If someone finds a way to JB this device and update the icons and background then I might be happy to buy one.

The Nano is still a good 'car-pod' (an iPod you can simply load up with tunes and just leave in your car). The previous gen of the Nano with its clip became my 'gym-pod'. All we need now is one that is water proof and that can be my 'jacuzzi pod' ... kidding of course.... :p

So to answer the question, maybe not "great", but different. Again if it can be JB'n it might become great. Add WiFi and it would become awesome!!! :D

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm still rockin a 3rd gen iPod Nano, which replaced a 1st gen that was stolen from my car.

I think Apple made the right choice with the 7th gen. The larger screen will make for a better touch experience and manipulation on the move.

Also, it's actually smaller than the just about every previous nano made.

Looks good too

slate.png

My 3rd gen wont die however, so I can't justify replacing it.

Last edited:

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
- Where is the camera?
- Where are the 32GB?
- The only acceptable colors are graphite and silver, but dual tone is still ugly, maybe OK in silver.

Last edited:

jodelli

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2008
Windsor, ON, Canada
Nanos are all so different you are going to get strong opinions which ones people like best...

...I like the more square ones, they fit in your pocket better. And I love the clip myself...

...I do wish what they did was replace the shuffle with the 6th gen and maybe introduce this new nano. Best of both worlds for people who liked both and the shuffle really has gotten really stale (for one thing it just doesn't fit much music at all!). The 6th gen nano is a two year old design now, I don't see why they can't just bump it down to the shuffle price (maybe even just increase the shuffle price a little).

I think you're right. To be honest, I can see them dropping the whole ipod line on the next update and just releasing a small portable ipod (taking the place of the ipod shuffle and ipod nano) and a larger more storage based iPod with app functionality (taking the place of the ipod classic and ipod touch).

I honestly believe that this where Apple is headed. It makes perfect sense to merge the two micro pods into one entry level device, especially as the tech costs keep dropping.

It's quite small and very thin. It reminds me of the 2nd gen Nano, but the screen makes it incredibly easy to browse songs.
I would rather buy a Shuffle instead of a prev gen Nano, honestly.

This is in fact what I did, have a shuffle and a 5th g Nano at the same time.
Just not really fond of the tiny 6th g screen.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
I would be excited for it if there was finally a capacity update (even if it were something weird like 24gb), we're still stuck in 2008.

Dont like the faded colors either, only two that look decent is silver and black.

I think they would look better with a black front instead of white, the white just looks off with this years colors.

Only positive is that the battery life is FINALLY improved, but I bet blue tooth sucks the battery dry quickly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.