Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
Title says it all and I haven't seen it discussed anywhere yet...

Personally, this was actually the feature I was most looking forward to in iOS 6 since I often move between areas of spotty WiFi coverage that my iPhone doesn't want to let go of...

Any insight into why it was removed?

Here's more about the feature that showed up in Beta 4: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/0...cellular-option-to-increase-data-reliability/

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Title says it all and I haven't seen it discussed anywhere yet...

Personally, this was actually the feature I was most looking forward to in iOS 6 since I often move between areas of spotty WiFi coverage that my iPhone doesn't want to let go of...

Any insight into why it was removed?

Here's more about the feature that showed up in Beta 4: https://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/0...cellular-option-to-increase-data-reliability/

I have found that the toggle is gone, however the actuall functionality seems to be there for me. I can still send iMessages in places I could never in ios5.

SimonTheSoundMa

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I'll try this out when I go shopping. Hotspots that require login just annoy me when I walk near them and I have wi-fi on and I try to send an e-mail or photo. I'd either have to switch wi-fi off or sign in to the hotspot.

Always a little annoying as at home we have wi-fi in the streets on lampposts that has the same SSID as when out in the city centre.

Stangs55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
The Lone Star State
I'll try this out when I go shopping. Hotspots that require login just annoy me when I walk near them and I have wi-fi on and I try to send an e-mail or photo. I'd either have to switch wi-fi off or sign in to the hotspot.

Always a little annoying as at home we have wi-fi in the streets on lampposts that has the same SSID as when out in the city centre.

Great. Let us know what you find out.

...of course I guess any if us could just unplug our modem while leaving the router on and see what happens... I think I'll try that when I get home later...

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Great. Let us know what you find out.

...of course I guess any if us could just unplug our modem while leaving the router on and see what happens... I think I'll try that when I get home later...

I just tried this, and couldn't load a page. I'm saddened.

chrisw491

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2011
I just tried this, and couldn't load a page. I'm saddened.

this really six!!!! i was looking forward to this feature! this shouldnt even be a feature. This should have been incorporated into the software a long time ago

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
I was also looking forward to this feature, almost more than any other feature in iOS 6.

At my workplace, when I go downstairs and outside to take a break, my iPhone stays connected to the Wifi network even though the signal is weak and works 1/2 of the time. I actually have to turn off Wifi to get anything done which is irritating.

Let's hope that they will bring it back in a 6.x update.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Agreed. This feature, if it worked, would have made me update to iOS6 without hesitation. But now I think I'll wait until it's jailbroken so I can have NC Settings to quickly toggle it.

Perhaps it wasn't working as well as they hoped so they took it out of the GM. Hopefully it reappears sooner than later.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Has anybody reached out to Apple about this? I would expect some big sites to report on it and get some feedback from Apple. This is what more people should be looking at.

@Arn? How about putting this on the front page?

Pirate515

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Nope. See post 5 and 6 above.
Despite that, it seems that Apple has changed the way WiFi is handled, especially in regard to hotspots that use authentication/acknowledgment pages that you need to open a browser for.

At my work, we have this guest WiFi network that was a real pain to use with iDevices. After you log in initially and after a certain period of inactivity, it forces you to open a web browser and go through acknowledgment page before you can actually send/receive any data. While this is fine for web browsing, it was a pain with everything else on iDevices that needed to use data. The part that made it painful was the fact that when your session timed out, it would not flat out drop you from its network. As long as your device is within WAP's range, it would retain a valid IP, but prior to iOS 6 it would not realize that despite that the connection was useless. This would result in apps stuck in an endless loop trying to connect, missed notifications, etc.

iOS 6 seems to be a bit smarter about this, even with this option removed from GM. Still not perfect, but much better then before nevertheless. Now, whenever I bring an app that needs Internet access and re-acknowledgment is required, the window pops up on top of the app with Done/Cancel buttons on top. If you acknowledge the page and click Done, it's back to the app and it is pulling data using WiFi. If you tap Cancel, WiFi icon disappears and the app pulls the data using cell network.

Again, while this is not perfect and there's still room for improvement, the way it is handled in iOS 6 is much better compared to that before it.

O-Sho

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Anyone know why they removed it? Like others said, this was one of the features I was really looking forward to.

I really hope they add it back.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Despite that, it seems that Apple has changed the way WiFi is handled, especially in regard to hotspots that use authentication/acknowledgment pages that you need to open a browser for.

At my work, we have this guest WiFi network that was a real pain to use with iDevices. After you log in initially and after a certain period of inactivity, it forces you to open a web browser and go through acknowledgment page before you can actually send/receive any data. While this is fine for web browsing, it was a pain with everything else on iDevices that needed to use data. The part that made it painful was the fact that when your session timed out, it would not flat out drop you from its network. As long as your device is within WAP's range, it would retain a valid IP, but prior to iOS 6 it would not realize that despite that the connection was useless. This would result in apps stuck in an endless loop trying to connect, missed notifications, etc.

iOS 6 seems to be a bit smarter about this, even with this option removed from GM. Still not perfect, but much better then before nevertheless. Now, whenever I bring an app that needs Internet access and re-acknowledgment is required, the window pops up on top of the app with Done/Cancel buttons on top. If you acknowledge the page and click Done, it's back to the app and it is pulling data using WiFi. If you tap Cancel, WiFi icon disappears and the app pulls the data using cell network.

Again, while this is not perfect and there's still room for improvement, the way it is handled in iOS 6 is much better compared to that before it.

I agree. It may not be fully working but since I didn't install the beta I don't know how it behaved before but something as I mentioned in my post above is different. For the better.

supham

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2010
I have just the opposite problem.

Now that I have iOS6 I can no longer connect to our corporate wifi. I can connect to other wifi.

At work we get redirected to a log in page. Every time I get redirected, i'm dumped off wifi and hop to 4g. Once on 4g, I no longer have access to that log in page.

It is like my iPhone recognizes that it can not reach the destination on wifi so it jumps to 4g.

codyc1515

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2008

Sorry but this has present since at least iOS 5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.