Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Surprised no one has mentioned it here (unless i've not noticed)

link

Take your photography to another level with the D600.

From true wide-angle to super-telephoto, the 24.3-megapixel FX-format sensor delivers incredibly detailed images across the camera’s broad ISO range.

The autofocus system is as sensitive as Nikon’s flagship D4 D-SLR, offering precise subject acquisition down to -1 EV and compatibility with lenses up to f/8 combined open aperture. If video is your medium, Multi-area Full HD D-Movie offers all the flexibility you need for broadcast quality footage.

Weather-sealed to the same degree as the professional Nikon D800 and surprisingly lightweight, the D600 is the perfect way to capture the full perspective.

24.3-megapixel FX-format (full-frame) CMOS sensor with excellent signal-to-noise ratio and wide dynamic range. Delivers richly detailed images with smooth tonal gradations.

Highly sensitive autofocus with Multi-CAM4800 39-point AF system: delivers fast and precise coverage across the frame. Sensitive down to -1 EV and compatible up to f/8.

ISO 100–6400: extendable up to 25,600 (equivalent) and down to 50 (equivalent). Enables faster shutter speeds for finely detailed images with minimal noise.

Multi-area D-Movie records FX- and DX-format Full HD (1080p) movies in 30p, 25p and 24p. Max recording time approx. 29 minutes 59 seconds. Offers uncompressed HDMI output to external devices and high-fidelity audio control.

EXPEED 3 image processing engine with 14-bit A/D conversion and 16-bit image processing for superb tonal gradation.

HDR (High Dynamic Range): ideal for high-contrast scenes. Takes two shots within a single shutter release to create an image with an extremely wide dynamic range, low noise and rich color gradation.
Active D-Lighting: capture more detail in high-contrast lighting conditions.

Nikon’s Active D-Lighting automatically retains the details in both dark and
bright areas for stunning images with natural contrast.

Scene Recognition System: the camera’s image sensor and its 2,016-pixel RGB sensor provide precise data to the Scene Recognition System, which optimizes exposure, autofocus and white balance immediately before the shutter is released for sharply defined images.

Time-lapse shooting: use Interval Timer Shooting to trigger the shutter at preset intervals. Use Time Lapse Photography to save images as movie files and view slow action in fast playback, with playback rates from 24 to 36,000 times faster than normal.

Picture Controls customize the look of your stills and videos by fine-tuning parameters such as sharpness, saturation, and hue before capture.

Precision 8-cm (3.2-in.), 921k-dot, VGA LCD monitor with automatic monitor brightness control. Delivers bright, crisp image playback with a wide color reproduction capacity.

High-performance viewfinder with approx. 100% frame coverage and 0.7x magnification. Offers DX Crop Mode with viewfinder marking.

5.5 fps continuous shooting: capture fast-moving action at five-and-a-half frames per second.

Quiet shooting mode: perfect for discreet photography, the sound of the camera’s mirror return mechanism is noticeably reduced.

Mirror balancer: minimizes the bounce of the mirror’s down movement, extending viewing time and allowing more time for AF operation—one reason the D600 achieves AF and focus tracking even during high-speed continuous shooting.

Compact, light and durable: built to withstand severe conditions, the camera boasts magnesium alloy top and rear covers and weighs only 760 g (without battery). Weather-sealed to the same degree as Nikon’s professional D800 SLR, it offers enhanced resistance to moisture and dust.

Dual-axis electronic virtual horizon: you can confirm the camera's position relative to the horizontal plane and its pitch (forward or rear rotation) using the
LCD monitor, or the viewfinder.

Twin SD card slots: two SD memory card slots offer enhanced shooting flexibility. Use the second card when the first is full, or record stills on one and movies on another. SDXC and UHS-I compatible.

Wireless transfer: Nikon’s optional WU-1b Mobile Adapter lets you share images directly from the D600 to a smartphone or tablet, or to control the camera remotely via your smart device*.

Cost £1,955 or $2,100 :eek:

MBP13

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
I think this may be my next camera! I was really looking forward to the D800, but it's a little pricey for me, but it's still a great camera.

An interesting fact about the D600 is that it's the cheapest full-frame DSLR on the market right now.

Hey Jude

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2008
Florida
I pre-ordered from Amazon, though it wasn't my first choice. I wanted a new d700 but unfortunately discontinued so hoping this is a worthy alternative.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I got the message about it yesterday but was too occupied with other things (and then exhausted) to post anything about it. :eek:

It looks like a worthy camera, but not quite the same as the D700 which was a professional level camera body.

The specs on the D600 are very good.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
Can someone explain this part in bold...

"The autofocus system is as sensitive as Nikon’s flagship D4 D-SLR, offering precise subject acquisition down to -1 EV and compatibility with lenses up to f/8 combined open aperture. "

joemod

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2010
Athens, Greece
"The autofocus system is as sensitive as Nikon’s flagship D4 D-SLR, offering precise subject acquisition down to -1 EV and compatibility with lenses up to f/8 combined open aperture. "

I suppose it means lenses with extenders. Some things I noticed:
- Nikon targets Consumers and not Professionals with this camera. That impressed me to be honest.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): ideal for high-contrast scenes. Takes two shots within a single shutter release to create an image with an extremely wide dynamic range, low noise and rich color gradation. <-- Wow!
- Active D-Lighting: capture more detail in high-contrast lighting conditions. Nikon’s Active D-Lighting automatically retains the details in both dark and bright areas for stunning images with natural contrast. <-- Waiting to see this.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
No point in the D600 in UK, for now.

In the UK, it’s a pretty poor situation Nikon have gotten themselves in.

US launch price for D600: ~£1300 after sales taxes
Jessops launch price for D600: £1955
Amazon price for D800: £2,249

A price differential of £294 for a much superior D800. I question the wisdom of those thinking of buying a D600 at launch price at all. In fact, there is not one reason to get the D600 over the D800 at current price levels in the UK!

I was waiting for the D600 to move up to FX. Now I'm either going to wait till it drops to something on par with the actual pricing in US ~£1300 or just pay the difference and get a much better D800.

Nikon...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
If I had to start over now, instead of shooting a 5DIII + 5DII, I would probably get a d800+d600. Far too deep in canon to ever, ever change though :)

DAC47

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
Cardiff
In the UK, it’s a pretty poor situation Nikon have gotten themselves in.

US launch price for D600: ~£1300 after sales taxes
Jessops launch price for D600: £1955
Amazon price for D800: £2,249

A price differential of £294 for a much superior D800. I question the wisdom of those thinking of buying a D600 at launch price at all. In fact, there is not one reason to get the D600 over the D800 at current price levels in the UK!

I was waiting for the D600 to move up to FX. Now I'm either going to wait till it drops to something on par with the actual pricing in US ~£1300 or just pay the difference and get a much better D800.

I was disappointed at the uk price as well, but you need to factor in the VAT @20% so the US price of £1300 should be around £1550. Still a lot, but a £400 drop in the UK RRP would make a huge difference to how you view this model in relation to the rest of the nikon line up.

Hopefully the price will drop after a few months.
We can only hope.

fireman32

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I am looking forward to seeing some high ISO shots to see how well it does in low light. I think this will be my Christmas gift to myself.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If I had to start over now, instead of shooting a 5DIII + 5DII, I would probably get a d800+d600. Far too deep in canon to ever, ever change though :)

You and me both (I'm heavily invested in Canon glass). If the D600 were a bit cheaper, I would seriously consider checking it out for a travel camera.

Padaung

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2007
UK
I was disappointed at the uk price as well, but you need to factor in the VAT @20% so the US price of £1300 should be around £1550. Still a lot, but a £400 drop in the UK RRP would make a huge difference to how you view this model in relation to the rest of the nikon line up.

Hopefully the price will drop after a few months.
We can only hope.

I agree.

Use this site ( http://camerapricebuster.com/ ) and you'll see the best price at the moment for the D800 is £2099, just £150 more then the D600!

It looks like it will be a great camera (I would expect quality to be similar to the D800, just the lower resolution), and the smaller form factor appeals to me too, but it surely needs to be 3 or 400 pounds cheaper to sell well in these shores. Anyone sensible would simply buy the D800 at the moment. The current release price of £1955 is crazy given recent price drops for the D800.

In reply to skrutzen asking about what 'compatibility with lenses up to f/8 combined open aperture' means - say you have a lens with a maximum f4 aperture (eg 600mm f4 lens), and put a 2x convertor on it to get a focal length of 1200mm, the convertor adds two stops (simply due to the laws of physics) to the maximum aperture (so goes from f4 to f8) - the auto focusing system is still able to work even though the light coming through the lens and into the viewfinder is now very low making matters hard for the autofocus system.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
the camera looks interesting, i wish they offered a kit with the 24-70 2.8 instead. Would want to look into the video capabilities with it. Might be time to upgrade the trusty D90. (is it worth it to trade in, I don't really NEED a spare DLSR as i'm not a professional still photographer)

dmax35

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012

As a beloved Canon shooter who made the switch from a 5D II to a D800, you mind find yourself just as happy going with the 5dIII. My D800 is a cool camera in a technical aspect 36 MP etc, the negative side is the comfort level and exceedingly large image sizes.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
I would have been very excited a few years ago about this announcement, but I'm very happy with its smaller-sensor brother, the D7000, and my gear lust is now triggered by Fuji X-mount cameras. If the D600 is anywhere near as good as the D7000, it'll be one hell of a camera.
D700 was killed by 5dmk2
Huh, really?
IMHO they're very different cameras, the D700 being a lot, lot faster and has much better low-light capabilities (both, in terms of sensor noise and especially AF capabilities) while the 5D Mark II is more suited for applications where its higher-res sensor shines. But I wouldn't say one camera is better than the other, that seems very naïve to me. To go as far and say one camera flat-out kills the other is very fanboy-ish.
D600 should easily be equal to 5dmk2 or better.
Which isn't surprising, the D600 has a newer sensor. You should compare the D600 to the 5D Mark III instead which have same-gen technologies.
Damned shame about the 1/200th sync speed. Even the D7000 will at least do 1/250th sec.
Is this difference in (non-FP) sync speed really that important? I usually never get close to 1/200 s when I shoot with flash.

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
I agree.

Use this site ( http://camerapricebuster.com/ ) and you'll see the best price at the moment for the D800 is £2099, just £150 more then the D600!

It looks like it will be a great camera (I would expect quality to be similar to the D800, just the lower resolution), and the smaller form factor appeals to me too, but it surely needs to be 3 or 400 pounds cheaper to sell well in these shores. Anyone sensible would simply buy the D800 at the moment. The current release price of £1955 is crazy given recent price drops for the D800.

The crazily good price of the D800 is causing much of the problem, as well as Nikon's stupid initial launch price.

By the time the D600 settles below the £1500 mark, the D800 should still be settled at just over £2000, which, for a £500 investment still has the D800 looming over the D600.

If the D800 dips below £2000 before the D600 sells below £1500 (I was hoping for £1300) I think as a long term investment that the camera is, I'd find myself still sorely tempted by the D800. I'm going to wait this one out for a while I think and make my decision before the end of the year.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I have a great deal of interest in this camera as well the OP.

I've been looking to make the leap into the DSLR market for some time and had just about made up my mind to pick-up the D7000 (starting from scratch so no existing lenses to consider and chose the Nikon over Canon for no reason other than the feel in my hands).

Recently, I've been following rumours about the D600. It sounded like the perfect opportunity to get into an affordable (for me) FF camera. I had hoped and anticipated that it would launch much lower than $2180 (Canada) so that it would be an easy decision.

Now, I'm really not sure...:confused:

Comments, thoughts & suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Is this difference in (non-FP) sync speed really that important? I usually never get close to 1/200 s when I shoot with flash.
It limits your options to balance flash against ambient light. At best that forces you fire your speedlight at greater power, and that limits cycle times. At such a crucial point, too, right where you need it. And, lets face it, there is action you can stop at 1/250 that will be more fluid at 1/200.

Strange, too, since every other current Nikon above the D5100 and D3200 will do 1/250 or better.

Last edited:

plumosa

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
Australia
I have a great deal of interest in this camera as well the OP.

I've been looking to make the leap into the DSLR market for some time and had just about made up my mind to pick-up the D7000 (starting from scratch so no existing lenses to consider and chose the Nikon over Canon for no reason other than the feel in my hands).

Recently, I've been following rumours about the D600. It sounded like the perfect opportunity to get into an affordable (for me) FF camera. I had hoped and anticipated that it would launch much lower than $2180 (Canada) so that it would be an easy decision.

Now, I'm really not sure...:confused:

Comments, thoughts & suggestions are most welcome.

Cheers!

The d7000 is still a great camera, and for approximately half the cost of a d600 it still makes a lot of sense.

Any photographer worth anything will tell you two things: it's the photographer that makes good photos, not the camera, and to spend your money on good lenses because they will outlast the life of the camera.

I would check out http://www.kenrockwell.com and look at his recommendations, esp. The Nikon dream team and the Nikon cheapskate list. There is a ton of info on that site but be sure to bookmark something that you find interesting because it's not very well organized and can be next to impossible to find it again.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
D7000 and D600 are great options. I mean you got two cameras that can use almost the whole Nikon lens catalog. Then to add the video .. imagine that video with any D-type lens or even an AI lens?

I like that its a smaller body. I don't like lugging a huge camera around. I can't wait to use one or see the images captured from this camera. My dilemma now is which one D7k or D600? Full Frame or DX. $1k or $2k

Ken has his opinions and they are just that. It will boil down to what you want to spend on a camera. That can be said with any camera out. Mine you that the D600 cost only $800 more than a D80 and a few hundred dollars more than the D300/D200 .. all were tops in their category too and still can take excellent photos. I suspect this D600 to do just as well.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.