Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
The Audi I drive has a Bang and Olufsen and yes - I can tell the difference between wired and BT. Mostly however I like the safety and convenience of on screen control and seeing album art etc.

I just wish we would have known sooner about no video out. In the long run I am sure an adapter will come out that will solve the issue.

Yeah you have a premium audio system. I do not. My Nissan is stock. I think it just a Bose CD changer but I'm pretty sure my speakers are not, or else Bose speakers suck. I was upset at first about this adapter shennanigans, but since it really doesn't affect me, I'm going to be putting a new deck in to go BT and do away with wires. By the time I'm able to afford a nice luxury car and premium audio system we'll probably be on iPhone 10 and they'll have some new standard or something.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Yeah you have a premium audio system. I do not. My Nissan is stock. I think it just a Bose CD changer but I'm pretty sure my speakers are not, or else Bose speakers suck. I was upset at first about this adapter shennanigans, but since it really doesn't affect me, I'm going to be putting a new deck in to go BT and do away with wires. By the time I'm able to afford a nice luxury car and premium audio system we'll probably be on iPhone 10 and they'll have some new standard or something.

You're going to pay all that money to put in a high-end deck just to play music through Bluetooth? You should be aiming a little bit higher and looking for a wired set-up. Sure, everyone is like "wires? Bad!", but they offer the best fidelity. Plus, they can charge your phone.

SonoViva

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
CA
I love how they showed iPhone 5 plugged into a BMW in the keynote and this **** is happening. BMW better update the cable. Their iPod hookup was a major selling point for me to get another lease with them over any other car. :(

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
2012 uses a new box that doesnt require the splitter cable. Do you have the combox?
You should be ok
Don't think so. No idea what it is tbh. All I know is the simple usb lead doesn't work, only the splitter cable.

All there is in my centre console/armrest is a USB port and an audio jack. Both of which need to be connected to the iPhone in order for it to feed through to the car's audio system.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I love how they showed iPhone 5 plugged into a BMW in the keynote and this **** is happening. BMW better update the cable. Their iPod hookup was a major selling point for me to get another lease with them over any other car. :(

How should we place the pressure on BMW to make a new cable? Is there a feedback website so we can start blasting them? I see a new cable as the only true solution, the adaptor is a bandaid.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
All there is in my centre console/armrest is a USB port and an audio jack. Both of which need to be connected to the iPhone in order for it to feed through to the car's audio system.

Mine has the exact same set-up. We need a new splitter cable with the Lightening connector on it.

SonoViva

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
CA
How should we place the pressure on BMW to make a new cable? Is there a feedback website so we can start blasting them? I see a new cable as the only true solution, the adaptor is a bandaid.

customerrelations@bmwusa.com - At least if enough people contact them, whoever receives the emails will report the feedback to someone. I'd be happy just knowing if they're working on it.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Bluetooth that sucker... Cable connections were so 2011.

Bluetooth for you Audio..... DUDE! Thats like recommending Monster headphones to Audiophiles....

If you know a thing of two about music or really care about it, cable all the way!

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Well, there's really no huge reason to love it. Basically anyone who used to connect their iPhone to the 30 pin connector will be now be basically connecting their iPhone into a makeshift Aux jack now. Except the adaptor will give the ability to charge your phone in addition, where the aux jack does not. Myself, I'll definitely be missing the songs on the screen of my dash. Or maybe I'll keep my 4S as an iPod. Having to sync 2 devices could be cumbersome though.

Why not just a previous generation nano? Sell the 4S for more money. Syncing 2 devices isn't that big of a hassle, especially for the payoff of having the iPod fully integrated into the car. Plus, if you have a dedicated car iPod you don't have to plug it in and unplug it every time.

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
And you don't use the A2DP bluetooth on it? It supports album work too.

I have my phone connected via bluetooth so i can take calls on the built in hands free kit... but music doesn't play through it.

If there's a way of making it do that, i'd be interested, but haven't found it so far.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
customerrelations@bmwusa.com - At least if enough people contact them, whoever receives the emails will report the feedback to someone. I'd be happy just knowing if they're working on it.

I sent my email.

----------

Why not just a previous generation nano? Sell the 4S for more money. Syncing 2 devices isn't that big of a hassle, especially for the payoff of having the iPod fully integrated into the car. Plus, if you have a dedicated car iPod you don't have to plug it in and unplug it every time.

This is an option, but I'm really spoiled with having 64gb of space for my music. However, keeping my 4S is definitely an option too. But, I'm air headed sometimes and leave my car unlocked. An iPhone 4S sitting in my car would be quite a find. I've even had my Y-cable stolen before.

bmwtech113

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2010
Knoxville, TN
Wirelessly posted

TopToffee said:
Full Article

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57511834-48/iphone-5-new-ipod-may-leave-some-cars-in-the-dust/

Excerpt:

The fact that the Lightning port uses eight purely digital pins calls into question whether the Lightning adapter would actually work with many cars' existing iPod or even USB ports. Current Kia and Hyundai models, and older BMW models, use an adapter cable that feeds the analog audio signal from the 30-pin connector to a 1/8-inch audio input, and a USB port to feed control signals between iPhone and car. Lightning does not have the capability to send an analog signal, so Apple's adapter will not work in those vehicles.

My new Audi A6 is in question and damn but if this is important to me....

More to follow I guess

It's not just older BMW's. I've got a 2012 3 series, and that uses the same "splitter" cable.

The 2012 3 series only requires the white cable that came with your iPhone/iPod. The splitter is not nessecary.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Just kicking the beehive here....but how much are you guys willing to dole out for updated cables/solutions from you car manufacturers?

If BMW or Audi comes back and says we can update it but it'll run $49 to fix? Or $79, $99 or $199?

I suspect a lot of people expect (or at least hope) for them to provide a free upgrade to fix a problem that Apple created for them.

But if Apple is making tons of money off adapters, I'm sure they won't pass up the golden opportunity as well.

Last edited:

rwhite692

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2012
So all of the folks with ANY car stereo head unit that provides playlist control, who have been able to control / navigate playlists via our head unit touchscreen are now completely out of luck.

You are going to be forced to navigate the playlist by picking up and using the damn phone.

"No! Honestly officer, I wasn't making a call, I was just choosing a song...!"

What is the solution going to be? A third-party "black box" to connect between the iphone5, and our head units?

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
And again - the adapter wont work for SEVERAL car types since we lose VIDEO OUT.

No on screen album art, video play, some song control.

Yes charge and listen. You lose some control, video out, video play. Also the wiring shown in the presentation is NOT how audi wires today. What is shown appears like custom wiring the eay it is routed.

The slide where they showed the iPhone 5 being hooked up to the Audi was an older model with the 2G MMI- certainly nothing like my B8 S4 or your C7 A6. Might have been a C6 A6 or D2 A8? The AMI 'door' looks similar to that of the AMI door I've seen on several other Audi models lately which makes me think that isn't a custom job.

Either way I'm not losing too much as long as I still keep controls and artist/song track on my MMI- I don't get album art/video playback either way :p

Yes my 2012 335i comes with iDrive standard. iPod setup is extra and that has a 30 pin. I'm fairly sure the adapter won't work because the interface for the iPhone is a perfect fit.

It has nothing to do with the fact that it's a perfect fit- the Lightning connector is all digital and audio with the BMW cable goes out thru the analogue jack so the adapter doesn't work. We'll need to wait for a new cable unfortunately.

hmmm. At least in the US 2011 and up cars are suppose to support using a direct connection via the apple 30 pin cable no y-cable needed. Cars that come with the CIC nav system(has multi-button idrive controller, HD screen, and hard drive based maps) then it should support using an apple 30 pin cable instead of the splitter.

2012 uses a new box that doesnt require the splitter cable. Do you have the combox?
You should be ok

My M5 has the CIC navigation system with the Combox (Office features - Bluetooth A2DP - 6FL) and it uses the Y split cable.

Euro spec car though.

I have my phone connected via bluetooth so i can take calls on the built in hands free kit... but music doesn't play through it.

If there's a way of making it do that, i'd be interested, but haven't found it so far.

I can't remember for certain as my BMW is back in Hong Kong, but Bluetooth audio should be under CD/Multimedia>External Devices if equipped.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
You guys are cute with your 30 pin cables, I don't even have AUX in my car :rolleyes:

[Beamer E46]

TopToffee

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Wirelessly posted

The 2012 3 series only requires the white cable that came with your iPhone/iPod. The splitter is not nessecary.

I know I've said the same thing about 27 times in this thread, but my 2012 3 series (which, granted, is probably a very basic model, with few extras, since it's a company car) DOES NOT WORK with just the standard white cable. It requires a splitter cable. As confirmed to me by the dealer, and by the fact that it doesn't work without it.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
So all of the folks with ANY car stereo head unit that provides playlist control, who have been able to control / navigate playlists via our head unit touchscreen are now completely out of luck.

I'm not sure, because for many iPod-compatible third party car stereos and the car stereo on my 2012 Honda Fit Sport AT the ONLY connection from the iPod to the car player is the digital USB connection--it does not use the audio out "pin" of the old iPod connector. This is why I wonder will the iPhone 5 still work like a regular iPod if the car stereo only uses the USB connection and the car stereo can still control the player.

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
I have a 2012 Ford Focus with the Sync/My Ford Touch system with USB in. I'm not worried about any of this because my iphone is a phone. I have a 120gb iPod Classic that stays in the car with my entire music library.

You guys with the BMWs with with iPhone/Twitter/Facebook. Maybe pay less attention to posting online and pay more attention to the road while behind the wheel. That way you don't selfishly put the lives of others on the line.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
My work vehicle is a 2012 Charger and it has a USB port. It had better work as it's an absolute deal breaker. I spend 12 hour shifts in that car and it's gotten way to important for me. Being able to control song changes from the steering wheel as well as the touch screen is extremely important. I can't imagine going back to hunting the phone to change songs again. No way no how. Everything seems to point to it working just fine.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
F you guys.
My 2005 Acura still came with a tape deck.

>:-(

Whoaaaa... I just realized its older than iPhone... Period... Dayum

CoolBradG

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2010
I'm praying my 5 integrates with my Ford Escape's Sync system without problems. As everyone else has said, I too have become spoiled by my steering wheel controls and voice commands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.