Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
Yes I get a corporate discount from my employer. From what I understand, the company and Verizon negotiate a discount. Not sure how or if it's available for the military but it should be in my opinion. Thanks for your service.

Thanks for helping me out!

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Not sure how or if it's available for the military but it should be in my opinion. Thanks for your service.

I never could understand this. My Coast Guard discount is 15%. My wife works for a hospital and her discount is 22%. You can guess whose discount we use.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
But I also sold my ip4s to amazon for $420. And I use amazon all the time so what I did was when I used the money from my tradein on amazon I'd transfer the same amount from my checking to my credit card.

So really my ip5 32gb was really $380. Almost as much as the 2 year contract subsidized pricing scheme. $80 bucks extra but that to me is worth keeping unlimited. Now lets hope they don't pull off an AT&T and throttle unlimited after so much GB is used.

We will see.

----------

I thought that was for third party hotspot apps they couldn't charge. (Jailbreak anyone?)

Oh I didn't realize that. That's pretty cool

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
Have a felling Verizon will starting throttling lte data for unlimited users.

The FCC spectrum agreement Verizon had in 2008 forbids them from preventing lte sim switching. Meaning I can move my lte sim from my Verizon lte phone to my Verizon lte iPad. That is legal and what many people do.

If u did this on AT&T. AT&T will disable if iPhone data plan for the month if they catch u using the sim on a tablet even on lte tablets. So AT&T can restrict lte data sim switches.

But Verizon cannot disable sim switches. They can and probably will start throttling lte data for unlimited users. Verizon basically will guarantee 5-12 mpbs lte. I will be surprised at what they will do when they enable throttling for unlimited lte users.

It's only time before they do it. Nothing in FCC agreement will stop them from throttling.

[URL="http://lifehacker.com/5917843/the-death-of-unlimited-data-what-it-means-and-how-you-can-keep-your-unlimited-data-plan]Source[/URL]
Verizon doesn't offer unlimited plans anymore either, but like AT&T, if you had an unlimited plan before they went away, you still have one—it's just been toned down. Verizon will also throttle your connection, but only if you meet these criteria: you have an unlimited plan, use a 3G smartphone, are in the top 5% of data users, and are connected to a congested cell site. Instead of throttling you for the duration of the month, they'll only throttle you as long as you are connected to that congested cell site, though you can also buy a 4G phone to avoid the throttling altogether. As of today, Verizon's introduced a new family share plan that will take the place of your unlimited plan the next time you buy a new phone from Verizon using subsidized pricing.

As per FCC rules vzw can only throttle 3g and not 4g based off of the 700 spectrum. To lazy to find the exact article but this one works.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
I did not know this and very interesting if I get an LTE iPad. Thanks.

Yep. That's why people were willing to pay $200-400 to take over a Verizon account with grandfathered unlimited data.

You can use any 4g lte Verizon sim in any 4g Verizon lte device. Obviously the advantage of using a phone lte sim in an lte Verizon iPad is the iPad has built in hotspot features from Verizon.

So in essence for $30 data a month (plus 9.99 for extra line). So $40 u get unlimited lte data on iPad plus free hotspot. Many who know the system just cancel their home Internet and use the iPad as a hotspot.

There are guys on Howard forums who say they use 100-200gb of data each month on Verizon lte with this sim switching to iPad.

They forward all their call from the Verizon number to google voice so they don't miss calls. They use google texts/iMessage.

CheesyTators

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
SE Michigan
Yep. That's why people were willing to pay $200-400 to take over a Verizon account with grandfathered unlimited data.

You can use any 4g lte Verizon sim in any 4g Verizon lte device. Obviously the advantage of using a phone lte sim in an lte Verizon iPad is the iPad has built in hotspot features from Verizon.

So in essence for $30 data a month (plus 9.99 for extra line). So $40 u get unlimited lte data on iPad plus free hotspot. Many who know the system just cancel their home Internet and use the iPad as a hotspot.

There are guys on Howard forums who say they use 100-200gb of data each month on Verizon lte with this sim switching to iPad.

They forward all their call from the Verizon number to google voice so they don't miss calls. They use google texts/iMessage.

Wow...that's quite a system they have going. Isn't the new iPhone 5 sim smaller? Someone will probably build an adapter to fit into the iPad anyway.

Jeff5886

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2010
This....It is $30/mo for unlimited 4G tethering if you're on a grandfathered unlimited plan and have a 4G phone. I just added this to my account today to make sure I have it when my iPhone arrives, in case they decide to end the promo.

I will gladly pay $30/mo for unlimited tethering when I use as much as 20Gb/mo with it. I'd rather not risk having my bill all jacked up by using a 3rd party app under the radar and getting caught. This is just my personal choice and I realize not everyone will feel the same way.

I am trying to do this but the only option I see is to ad hotspot with a 2gig allowance even though I have grandfathered unlimited data. How did u add unlimited data to hotspot?

CheesyTators

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
SE Michigan
I am trying to do this but the only option I see is to ad hotspot with a 2gig allowance even though I have grandfathered unlimited data. How did u add unlimited data to hotspot?

I called and had them do it via phone. I'm not sure it's an option in your online account access. Not to offend you but you do have a 4G phone right now, correct? If you have 3G only it won't be an option for you and maybe that's why it isn't showing up. Just making sure.

Jeff5886

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2010
I called and had them do it via phone. I'm not sure it's an option in your online account access. Not to offend you but you do have a 4G phone right now, correct? If you have 3G only it won't be an option for you and maybe that's why it isn't showing up. Just making sure.

Called and got it squared away. Thanks brother! Great tip!

Dkorda

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012

What's the name of this $9.95 plan? Must include 10 minutes!!

CheesyTators

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2010
SE Michigan
What's the name of this $9.95 plan? Must include 10 minutes!!

It's not a plan on it's own. It's the cost to add another line to an exiting grandfathered family share plan. Those of us with the old plans could add an additional line to our plans for $9.99 plus taxes. It is not related to the new share everything plan.

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 30, 2010
So if you have a $89 unlimited plan, + $30 unlimited data.. I can still add a line for $9.95?

If you have a family plan you could always add an additional line for 9.99. But with the shared plans out now I'm not 100% these days. In the past after they got rid of the unlimited plans you could add a new line but you'd have the 2gb data, can't say for sure now. I suggest calling Verizon to be sure.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Well $30 is the data plan. You are allowed to tether your phone as long as you have a 4g phone. FCC sued and fined verizon for blocking tethering apps. Due to the deal verizon made to purchase the frequency block for 4g verizon cannot block tethering of any kind on 4g phones. If you have a 3g phone then you can't.

I just got off the phone with Verizon. I had explained I have an unlimited plan and preordered the ip5 outright but was curious how much hotspot would cost and for how much data?

He put me on hold and when he got back he said hotspot will cost $30 and because the ip5 is 4g its unlimited.

Yay!

jbromer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
MD, USA
Added this plan successfully today. Bought the unubsidized iPhone and changed my plan. Dropped the minutes from 1400 to 700. Added the hotspot which was $23 with my discount. Works beautifully on my MacBook Air.

Getting tethered speeds comparable to wifi...

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
Have a felling Verizon will starting throttling lte data for unlimited users.

The FCC spectrum agreement Verizon had in 2008 forbids them from preventing lte sim switching. Meaning I can move my lte sim from my Verizon lte phone to my Verizon lte iPad. That is legal and what many people do.

If u did this on AT&T. AT&T will disable if iPhone data plan for the month if they catch u using the sim on a tablet even on lte tablets. So AT&T can restrict lte data sim switches.

But Verizon cannot disable sim switches. They can and probably will start throttling lte data for unlimited users. Verizon basically will guarantee 5-12 mpbs lte. I will be surprised at what they will do when they enable throttling for unlimited lte users.

It's only time before they do it. Nothing in FCC agreement will stop them from throttling.

I don't think that's correct. I believe part of the contract vzw agreed to purchase the 700mhz spectrum for LTE forbids them to throttle. Thats thre point. It is different than the fcc ruling

----------

keep in mind this is also why they changed the sim size for ip5, it's different than ipad. but u can just use an adaptor. I do that between my tbolt and ipad

NayborAxi

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks Tortri! I wanted to tether so bad this weekend and because there is no jailbreak yet for ip5 my only option was to pay $30 for unlimited hotspot.

I tried to do it before with my ip4 and was told i had to change plans to 4gb and said no thx but on a 4g phone i can have unlimited on the phone and the hotspot! yay!

robdollar77

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
I just upgraded to the Iphone 5 and I really miss my jailbreak but dont know when one will become available for the 5. MyWi, 3G unrestricter, Pandora Download, Grooveshark. But I have most of these apps on a jailbroken Ipad and Itouch. And I could not find a reliable tethering app anywhere that doesnt require jailbreaking.

A new member and I wanted to confirm that as of 12/14/12 the 30.00 4G Hotspot plan for Unlimited Data Customers is still available. It is truly unlimited for both data on the phone and the personal hotspot. They also have it available for 3G as well. You just have to select it online because most reps dont show that its available. The next one down is 2GB hotspot for 20.00.

After selecting it on verizonwireless.com I turned off my iphone 5, waited a min or so then turned it on and the personal hotspot was available. i called tech support and verified that it was truly there and was fully unlimited on both phone and hotspot /tethering data

I highly recommend paying the 30.00 fee. For the amount of data I used (6-10 GB a month) its worth it and there is no hacking or jailbreaking involved. Plus if you get it for the Iphone 4 4/s then you can switch it to the Iphone 5 later on. This allows me to tether my itouch or ipad with no worries of going over or if they some how block 3rd party tethering apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.