Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jill1228

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I am getting Apple Care +. As I understand, you have to head to an Apple Store to get it set up though? WTF? I live 145 miles away from the closest one :mad:

dylanursula

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Question for folks regarding AppleCare+ - isnt the deductible only for accidental damage claims with Applecare+? I thought if you take your phone in as it wont power on or such like it doesnt count towards your 2 replacements and thus no $50 charge? Can someone clarify?

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Question for folks regarding AppleCare+ - isnt the deductible only for accidental damage claims with Applecare+? I thought if you take your phone in as it wont power on or such like it doesnt count towards your 2 replacements and thus no $50 charge? Can someone clarify?

If the phone is defective there is no charge.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Don't they still tack on the $50 deductible?
Yes, ST does, but on my iPad 3 I was able get a zero deductible plan for $10 more. Not sure if that applies to the iPhone as well.

----------

You can't file a police report for a lost phone. There is no crime against losing something. I have people wanting to do it all the time. It's surprising how difficult of a concept that is for some folks to grasp.
The quote was "lost OR stolen." For lost you still need a sworn affidavit so it's insurance fraud which can still get you arrested.

Boiler

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2009
Can't wait to read your I dropped my new iPhone 5 opening the box thread :rolleyes:

I'm pretty careful
First time it comes sept 21 I'll open it on my bed

Even when I walk or jog for exercise when I change a song or answer a text I step on the grass before I take my phone off to reduce the chance of dropping it on concrete

Little habits like that have kept the naked iPhones safe from '07-'12 *knock on wood

But if I break it I'll have to eat my words, true

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I went with AppleCare +

Nothing like dealing directly with Apple.
The only way I'd get screwed is if I lose the phone...but hopefully that doesn't happen.

Btw, I looked all over SquareTrade's website and didn't see anything about replacing stolen/lost phones...

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
I have to say I will be using Safeware again. They were great when my 4s broke. The company the use to fix was not very good so in the end after complaining to the agent they paid out my claim for $750. I highly recommend them.

christyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Salt Lake
Also going with AC+. Not much difference IME, other than 2 more incidents with ST.

I am getting Apple Care +. As I understand, you have to head to an Apple Store to get it set up though? WTF? I live 145 miles away from the closest one :mad:

You can call Apple on friday and they have said they will add it on over the phone. Just make sure to call when you first get the phone.

Yes that is correct.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
So, I am getting ready to take the iPhone plunge and get 4 for our family. Seems like maybe getting insurance is a waste of money. Here are my questions.

- If you get a replacement through AC+ are you getting a new or refurbished phone? What about through Square Trade? These seem like the only two reasonable options unless you need loss coverage....

With both AC+ & SQuareTrade, one is usually given refurbs. Haven't seen many complaints from people with Apple refurbs, but have seen several from people getting them from Squareatrade. I'd recommend getting SqureTrade. Then if there's an issue, take the phone into Apple, get it swapped, and then have SqureTrade reimburse you.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
With both AC+ & SQuareTrade, one is usually given refurbs. Haven't seen many complaints from people with Apple refurbs, but have seen several from people getting them from Squareatrade. I'd recommend getting SqureTrade. Then if there's an issue, take the phone into Apple, get it swapped, and then have SqureTrade reimburse you.

The way I read it though, this will cost you an extra $50.
An in warranty replacement from Apple will cost $50.
An out of warranty replacement from Apple will cost whatever the going rate is.
Right now it's what? $200.
If you go through Square trade you'll have to pay Apple the $200 which will get reimbursed by Square trade but you'll still have to pay Square trade's deductible which is $50.

bueller1

Suspended
Jun 13, 2012
Best buy plan takes 3 days to get a new phone and you have to leave your broken one there for them to ship out. They offer loaners for $150 and reimburse you when you bring it back. Im switching to apple care+

maximumsportz

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2008
So if I get applecare+ and never use it and my 2 years is almost up can I just break my phone to get a new shiney one before 2 years is up?? :D

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
I had nothing but great experiences the two times I used them to replace my iPhone 4. They will be getting my business again. It was money well spent.

indianboynyc

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
my phone ALWAYS break so i will be getting applecare+ but i will be buying it off amazon and saving me some $, thankkkkkkk you!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
The way I read it though, this will cost you an extra $50.
An in warranty replacement from Apple will cost $50.
An out of warranty replacement from Apple will cost whatever the going rate is.
Right now it's what? $200.
If you go through Square trade you'll have to pay Apple the $200 which will get reimbursed by Square trade but you'll still have to pay Square trade's deductible which is $50.

That is correct; except im not sure "extra $50" is the way to look at it. With both systems one has to pay for the service & then pay a fee for each claim.

that's the way insurance works. Evryone has to decide whether or not it's worth the risk/reward for his/herself.

----------

So if I get applecare+ and never use it and my 2 years is almost up can I just break my phone to get a new shiney one before 2 years is up?? :D

Sure, if you're dishonest and want to all but commit insurance fraud.

----------

No need to break it even. Just bring it in, pay the $50, and have a "new" one.

You can really do that? Just walk in and say you just want a new one even if your phone is working 100% ?

Uhm...I don't think this is correct. While each employee and each day are new beasts, I highly doubt that Apple will replace phones that have nothing wrong with them. Though I could be wrong.

dannyboy888

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
I might be wrong about this, but the last time I checked AppleCare+ for an iPad, I saw that you can cancel it at any time and be refunded up to 90% assuming it is unused. I am assuming this still applies to the iPhone.

So to update the calculations, it would be $99 for 12 months with a possible refund of $90. Once you pass the 12 month period, it's prorated depending on how long you have used it. Which essentially makes it about $8 per month starting in Month 13.

For me, I dont think this is that bad of a deal. I'll probably just get AppleCare+, then hope I dont break my phone. Then cancel after 11 months then look into getting a new phone.

If you have an incident, it costs you $149 (applecare cost + incident fee). It's still cheaper than replacing a phone for $199.
At least this way, if you don't use it, it costs you less than $1 per month. I see this as the best of both worlds. Insurance for damage without having to pay that much for it.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I might be wrong about this, but the last time I checked AppleCare+ for an iPad, I saw that you can cancel it at any time and be refunded up to 90% assuming it is unused. I am assuming this still applies to the iPhone....

Per Apple's AC+ Terms & Conditions:

9. Cancellation
You may cancel this Plan at any time for any reason. If you decide to cancel either call Apple at the telephone number below, or send or fax written notice with your Plan Agreement Number to AppleCare Administration, P.O. Box 149125, Austin, TX 78714- 9125, U.S. (fax number 916-405-3973). A copy of the Plan’s original proof of purchase must accompany your notice. Unless local law provides otherwise, if you cancel within thirty (30) days of your Plan’s purchase, or receipt of these Terms and Conditions, whichever occurs later, you will receive a full refund less the value of any service provided under the Plan. If you cancel more than thirty (30) days after your receipt of this Plan, you will receive a pro rata refund of the original purchase price, based on the percentage of unexpired Coverage Period from the Plan’s date of purchase, less (a) a cancellation fee of twenty-five ($25) dollars or ten percent (10%) of the pro-rata amount, whichever is less, and (b) the value of any service provided to you under the Plan. Unless applicable local law provides otherwise, Apple may cancel this Plan for fraud or material misrepresentation. Unless applicable local law provides otherwise, Apple may also cancel this Plan if service parts for the Covered Equipment become unavailable, upon thirty (30) days’ prior written notice. If Apple cancels this Plan for the unavailability of service parts, you will receive a pro-rata refund for the Plan’s unexpired term.

As found here: http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/081811_APP_English_NA_v5.4.pdf

Last edited:

holyindian

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2009
Very good thread. Lots of important information in here.
I've been using square trade for last three years, two times for iphones, and one for ipad. Never had to use them.. none of my devices got damaged.

Anyways, its always good to have a backup plan such as AC+ or ST.
I understand the pros and the cons of AC+, the only thing i liked about square trade is, lost and stolen replacement for the phones. I believe people are more prone to loosing their phones than getting them damaged. However currently i am tilting towards AC+ this time... and might go with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.