Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LVappleNOTfnboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
I have been waiting for the iPhone 5 event for the past three years. My iPhone 3g has been hanging tough for four years with constant reminders of how durable the phone is. The iPhone carved in stone what a smartphone should be. Thank You Steve for changing the game for the better. When I threw my blackberry away four years ago because the iPhone hit me with a ton of WOW bricks, I was amazed! Between my wife and daughter, I've had ample time to play with the 4 and 4s. No WOW bricks fell on my head between the two, so no upgrade for me, still plucking away with my 3g. My excitement was at an all time high before the leaks started, and slowly they came down to an all time low when I realized the leaks were going to be 100% accurate. I still held out hope that Tim had something up his sleeve to WOW us, but that fell flat on the 12th with the announcement. Really Tim?? I just wanted that magical feeling back when I unbox my 5. After playing with the Galaxy s3, I got that magical/WOW feeling back!! I will be picking one up tomorrow for a test drive. If the phone does not work out, I will return it on Friday, and go back to my old faithful the iPhone 5. Thank you Android for stepping your game up and giving me what I want in a smartphone. On the other hand I love my macbook air, ipad, iMac, iPod touch, apple tv and would never give those up, and I mean never!

robdam1001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Baffling,........It's a phone....why MUST your phone WOW you ever upgrade? A phone can only do so much.

"After playing with the Galaxy s3, I got that magical/WOW feeling back!!"

I get that same WOW feeling when I **** a new girl.

Last edited by a moderator:

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
There's definitely a lot of smart phones on the market now such that everybody should be able to find a smart phone that fits their taste. That is a good thing

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
If you didn't think the iPhone 4 was a worthy upgrade from your iPhone 3G then I am not sure what you're hoping for. The iPhone 4 was the most radical iPhone release.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I know they are not an S3 but I briefly had a note and a Galaxy nexus. Ugh! No wow there. I couldn't get back to my 4s quickly enough. Maybe the S3 is a zillion worlds beyond those two phones but I can't imagine it. Can't wait for my iPhone 5 on Friday though!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
All I have to say is Wow. You manage to last the past 3 years with an iphone 3G?
And the i5 didnt wow you but the s3 did?
Good for you, back to your android forum.
All your 10 posts here are the same. S3 this S3 that, iphone sucks etc...
Why are you even here besides the obvious?

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008
I'd give the S3 2-3 weeks and go in with the mindset that it isn't gonna ever be iOS. It's unique in its openness which can pay dividends. You can also get frustrated at first. Same goes for those who migrate to the vanilla iOS. Both have their pros and cons.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I think you built up an insurmountable hype/expectation for yourself. But good luck with the S3.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
What on God's green earth do you want out of a phone??

NFC?
That's not widely adopted and will hardly be used by anyone, not to mention ADD to the bulk/weight of the phone.

A bigger screen?
Not many people want that, so feel free to go elsewhere if you want a tablet as a phone.

Wireless charging?
There's no real advantage. You have to sit it down on some awkward pad taking up tons of space on your nightstand or desk. It may be wireless but something still has to TOUCH the phone.

An even better camera?
If you know anything about SLRs and cameras in general, then you'd know megapixels aren't as important once you reach a certain threshold. The processing power is what can make a 5MP camera better than a 12MP, and so on.

Also: are you forgetting about iOS 6? It's pretty awesome. Did you forget about having to restart your blackberry daily to keep it working? Android isn't much different. Before getting the iPhone a couple years ago, I had a handful of Android devices- they all sucked equally bad. No other phone has iOS; nor do they have the magnificent engineering of an iPhone. Android phones all look and feel like a toddler's toy phone. If that's what you want, then ENJOY IT, but you'll regret it.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012

NFC?
That's not widely adopted and will hardly be used by anyone, not to mention ADD to the bulk/weight of the phone.

A bigger screen?
Not many people want that, so feel free to go elsewhere if you want a tablet as a phone.

Wireless charging?
There's no real advantage. You have to sit it down on some awkward pad taking up tons of space on your nightstand or desk. It may be wireless but something still has to TOUCH the phone.

An even better camera?
If you know anything about SLRs and cameras in general, then you'd know megapixels aren't as important once you reach a certain threshold. The processing power is what can make a 5MP camera better than a 12MP, and so on.

Also: are you forgetting about iOS 6? It's pretty awesome. Did you forget about having to restart your blackberry daily to keep it working? Android isn't much different. Before getting the iPhone a couple years ago, I had a handful of Android devices- they all sucked equally bad. No other phone has iOS; nor do they have the magnificent engineering of an iPhone. Android phones all look and feel like a toddler's toy phone. If that's what you want, then ENJOY IT, but you'll regret it.

Just because NFC isn't widely adopted yet doesn't mean we should shun it out. For the record, an NFC chip doesn't have to add any extra bulk as it is pretty small.

The millions of phones that are sold with 4"+ screens say otherwise. Just because you don't want a bigger screen doesn't make you the spokesman for everyone else.

Wireless charging would be a great addition in an ecosystem such as with Apple products. Imagine being able to charge your iPad or iPhone without needing to plug it in. We shouldn't shun new technology just because Apple decided not to use it.

The camera on the SG3 and iPhone 4S were quite comparable in terms of picture quality. I suspect the 5 will produce similar shots.

I agree that the iPhone has the best build quality out of other comparable phones, but we can't blame the Android OS for that. There are a few contenders like the Droid RAZR that are built pretty well, so that is all on the phone manufacturer. Personally, I enjoy the Android OS and Google's consistency on releasing major updates. That being said, I preordered an iPhone 5 as it plays nicely with my other Apple products, but I give kudos to Samsung. The SG3 is quite a nice phone.

Mars Is Waiting

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2012
USA
Just because NFC isn't widely adopted yet doesn't mean we should shun it out. For the record, an NFC chip doesn't have to add any extra bulk as it is pretty small.

So you're an engineer now? You know how you'd be able to fit in your NFC chip into the new iPhone 5's circuitry? Get real :rolleyes:

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL

I don't think there's any shunning here, NFC is just technology that isn't widely adopted. Most consumers have no idea what NFC is, and only a small niche would utilize it. It's simply not worth it yet. Also, the chip may be small, but other chips were added/modified which could make it impossible to add NFC and keep the slim profile of the iPhone 5.

The millions of phones that are sold with 4"+ screens say otherwise. Just because you don't want a bigger screen doesn't make you the spokesman for everyone else.

I was in no way speaking for other people, simple stating that most people aren't looking for a 4"+ phone. Maybe millions of people would like it, but many millions more don't. It's simple logic; not sure why you don't see what I am saying.

Wireless charging would be a great addition in an ecosystem such as with Apple products. Imagine being able to charge your iPad or iPhone without needing to plug it in. We shouldn't shun new technology just because Apple decided not to use it.

I would enjoy it, no doubt. But it's not really advantageous. Most people hear "wireless" and think of the WiFi type of wireless. This isn't the case with current wireless charging (However, uBeam is trying to change that). There is no real advantage (yet), especially the reversibility of the lightning cable

BoxerGT2.5

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2008

NFC?

NFC is built into the battery in most devices and I'd bet I could find more places I could use google wallet then Apple could find carriers utilizing wideband audio.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004
After playing with the Galaxy s3, I got that magical/WOW feeling back!! I will be picking one up tomorrow for a test drive.

Ok, so would you please be more specific ?

What exactly WOWed you about the Galaxy, and disappointed you with the iPhone 5 ?

Btw, I assume your disappointment was merely based on reading about the iPhone5 or watching the Keynote. Or were you able to test it in person ?

-t

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
NFC is built into the battery in most devices and I'd bet I could find more places I could use google wallet then Apple could find carriers utilizing wideband audio.

In the US, sure. NFC isn't usually built into the battery from my understanding. There A) a chip, and B) an antenna that is usually wrapped around the battery.

LVappleNOTfnboi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2011
Ok, so would you please be more specific ?

What exactly WOWed you about the Galaxy, and disappointed you with the iPhone 5 ?

Btw, I assume your disappointment was merely based on reading about the iPhone5 or watching the Keynote. Or were you able to test it in person ?

-t

I really enjoyed the custom UI, LED notification, NFC, bigger screen, more memory, better battery life, I dig the biometric swipe, and jelly bean. I'm leaning more towards the custom UI than any feature. Yes my disappointment is from reading and watching the keynote, Im not sure if I need to test it in person.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
So you're an engineer now? You know how you'd be able to fit in your NFC chip into the new iPhone 5's circuitry? Get real :rolleyes:

I don't have to get real. If you think a tiny NFC chip is going to make a phone bigger and heavier, I don't know what to tell you.

No, I'm not an engineer, but have you even read about the technology? Hell, they even have SIM cards with NFC embedded in the gold contacts. The point is Apple chose not to add this feature intentionally, not because there was no room. We can even go back to last year when there was speculation of NFC being in the 4S. This isn't some new technology to Apple. :rolleyes:

Edit: And yes, the antenna is wrapped around the battery, which is no thicker than Apple's warranty caution sticker. Mix two and two together and the issue becomes moot.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
baffling,........it's a phone....why must your phone wow you ever upgrade? A phone can only do so much.

"after playing with the galaxy s3, i got that magical/wow feeling back!!"

i get that same wow feeling when i **** a new girl.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

People are waaaay to invested in this whole iphone vs android thing.

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
I don't think there's any shunning here, NFC is just technology that isn't widely adopted. Most consumers have no idea what NFC is, and only a small niche would utilize it. It's simply not worth it yet. Also, the chip may be small, but other chips were added/modified which could make it impossible to add NFC and keep the slim profile of the iPhone 5.

I was in no way speaking for other people, simple stating that most people aren't looking for a 4"+ phone. Maybe millions of people would like it, but many millions more don't. It's simple logic; not sure why you don't see what I am saying.

I would enjoy it, no doubt. But it's not really advantageous. Most people hear "wireless" and think of the WiFi type of wireless. This isn't the case with current wireless charging (However, uBeam is trying to change that). There is no real advantage (yet), especially the reversibility of the lightning cable

So why are you speaking so negatively on the SG3 for incorporating this new technology? I'm not trying to start a fight with you, but your original statements bash on SG3 for bringing something new to the table. The SG3 is Samsung's current flagship phone. A trademark for a flagship phone is the new features it brings to the table, so let's let the consumer decide if they want to use it or not, but at least they'll have the option.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but I think the SG3 deserves more credit then you're giving it.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Baffling,........It's a phone....why MUST your phone WOW you ever upgrade? A phone can only do so much.

"After playing with the Galaxy s3, I got that magical/WOW feeling back!!"

I get that same WOW feeling when I **** a new girl.

The little boy who never grew up :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.