Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
I am not sure why this keeps happening. I am using OS 10.3.9 on a dual 2.0 G5 and on a G4. I place my hard drive icon, system icon and my external hard drive icons on the right side of the screen underneath one another. Everytime I turn the computer off and then back on they move all over the place. I never had this problem with OS9 and it seems to happen more on the G5 than the G4. It seems like a minor thing but it is annoying as hell. Any reason this happens? Thanks in advance.

simie

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2004
Sitting
if you are using a 2 button mouse then press the right mouse button on the desktop and select Show view options. And now tick Keep arranged and finally select how you want them arranging.

The keyboard shortcut to bring up the Show view options is command + j

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Whether or not you've got the icons arranged, they still shouldn't be jumping all over the place randomly. Maybe give repairing permissions a try...

Sorry, I know I'm not being heaps helpful, but it's worth a try. :confused:

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
thanks for the response. when it says keep arranged by, the only options are date created, modified, size, label, kind. which one is going to keep them from moving around? it doesn't happen with icons of a document or program, only my hard drives. I did repair disk permessions, run disk warrior, nothing makes it stop?

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Same thing happens to me with any drives, like my HD, iPod and USB Keychain.

If I put it on the lower left hand side where my folders are, they stay fine. But once I restart they go back to the top right hand side.

My folders stay put though.

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
I dont think thats normal. 9 times out of 10 the HD icons on my G4 stay put, the ones on the G5 move all over. Does anyone know if this is normal? thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.