Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhone5 Verizon or AT&T?

• Total voters

KenAFSPC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
The mobile share plans are the reason why i'm leaving Verizon for AT&T. I was very satisfied using the iPhone 4 on the Verizon network, but I don't think it's worth paying an extra $25/month just because I want 3 gigs of 4G while im forced to pay for unlimited minutes which i don't need. AT&T still has individual plans which fits better with my phones minute and data usage.
Verizon isn't forcing you to give up your older plan (if you have one). Plus, Verizon has better LTE coverage in your particular area, IIRC.

That said, i agree with you on the mobile share plans. They are significantly more expensive for many folks that don't require unlimited minutes. My total monthly cost with taxes for 5 iPhones, each with a 2GB Data plan, is about $210 on AT&T with a 15% fan discount, and Verizon's mobile share plan would cost me significantly more for a comparable amount of data.

FamilyTalk Nation 700Min with Rollover ($51)
1st iPhone5 with 2GB Data ($21.25)
2nd iPhone5 with 2GB Data ($9.99 + $21.25)
3rd iPhone5 with 2GB Data ($9.99 + $21.25)
4th iPhone5 with 2GB Data ($9.99 + $21.25)
5th iPhone5 with 2GB Data ($9.99 + $21.25)
(Optional: Unlimited messaging and m2m calling on all phones for $30 extra)

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I went AT&T again as I have 4 family lines with them. Switching to Verizon would have cost roughly 110 for just my line alone. Sticking with AT&T, my 4 lines can get on the mobile share with 10 GB's and still only pay about 240.

I haven't switched to the mobile shared yet, but it's honestly looking good. I wasn't aware that if you pick the 10 GB plan, each smartphone is only 30 bucks a pop. With my wife and the in-laws only using an average of 500 MB's per person, I'll have plenty of non-throttled data left over to use as I see fit.

As it stands now, we have 3 iPhones with 2 of them having unlimited data and the third using the 2 GB plan. The fourth is a "dumbphone" and we're paying about 235 before even making the fourth an iPhone. Making the 4th an iPhone will push me over the cost of the 240 shared plan and that's even if we choose the lowest data plan. The more I think about it, the more I think the shared plan is the way to go for me.

macher

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2012
In my area, both AT&T and Verizon have excellent coverage on paper. I've heard though that Verizon is slightly better. AT&T would be cheaper for me but I am definitely leaning towards Verizon.

In my area both AT&T and VZW I would say are equal in coverage and reliability in the Philly Metro.

I have 1 VZW unlimited line and a 4 line grandfathered unltd data AT&T family plan.

VZW has more 'consumer friendly' features such as unlimited un-throttled LTE, option to add unlimited mobile hotspot for $30(tethering) and the ability to take my iPhone 5 unlimited data sim and put it into my iPad (WiFi/cellular data) and be able to get unlimited data on my iPad. With VZW you also have the option of taking your sim and putting it into a MiFi or Jetpack.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Interesting this thread popped up. Was in NYC for a couple of days and using my ATT iPhone 5. I had crappy speeds at the best of times and constantly had no data at all even with seemily acceptable signal levels. I had to continually switch airplane mode on/off or completely reboot the phone to get data back for a little while. Missed a call and got the voicemail an hour later once and had lots of iMessage fails that had to go out as texts and a couple of periods of no service or -130 signal.

I also had my Verizon LTE iPad 3 with me and it was hardly any better for data. Lots of times I had what looked like decent bars or signal level but no luck on actually using the thing.

So, I have to conclude that when you have a few million people living in one place and several hundred thousand random visitors you are sol no matter what.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Verizon for sure. at&t has the most horrible customer service ever. I have a $25 prepaid plan on my old phone that I want to change to pay as you go until I get my new phone, and they want you to CALL to change it. How ridiculous is that in this digital age? I'm not gonna go through the silly voice activated menus to sit in queue just to do something that could be done with 1 mouseclick.

I just removed all my payment info instead so they can't get my money, then I'm throwing away the simcard. I can manage a few days without a phone.
Verizon iPhone5 is my next stop.

(not to mention they refused to unlock the old 3gs which I bought on ebay, not that I ever expected them to do it though. So I just had a 3rd party do it for $5.)

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
If I had to choose between the two, definitely AT&T, even though Verizon has better coverage in my area. My reason -- they have reasonable individual plans where as for Verizon Wireless, I have absolutely no idea why they structured their plans they way they did (no individual plans, share everything only).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.