Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
NOTE:All benchmarks are benchmarked on either 2011 (HDD Bay w/ SATA III (6GBit/s)) or 2012 MacBook Pro's with SATA III (6GBit/s). Benchmarks may vary. Any users willing to contribute would be much appreciated. Thanks!

CONTENTS

• Introduction
  • Benchmark Tools & Other Utilities
  • Benchmarks
    • Apple Retina OEM (Samsung) SSD 256GB
    • Corsair Force GT 240GB
    • Crucial M4 256GB
    • Intel 520 Series 240GB
    • OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    • SanDisk Extreme 240GB
    • Samsung 830 256GB
    • Samsung 840 250GB
    • Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
  • RMA Links

Introduction
I did 5 speed tests on each of the following drives with Trim Enabled via Trim Enabler on a 2012 13-inch MacBook Pro in the MAIN hard drive bay. A $10 Optibay Hard Drive Caddy as also used to test firmware updating via Bootcamp.

Benchmark Tools & Other Utilities

Benchmarks

RMA Links
  • Corsair - Offers Advance RMA? Yes
  • Crucial - Offers Advance RMA? No
  • Intel - Offers Advance RMA? Yes
  • OCZ - Offers Advance RMA? Yes
  • SanDisk - Offers Advance RMA? - ???
  • Samsung - Offers Advance RMA? No

Last edited:

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
OK. So by "free" you mean you bought them all on credit then called then manufacturer lied about them being broken and returned them??

cool.

How old are you?

Last edited:

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
OK. So by "free" you mean you bought them all on credit then called then manufacturer lied about them being broken and returned them??

cool.

How old are you?

I'm 28 and by free, I do customer services reviews for various manufactures. I get paid to get free items, test them and inquire about their support and pass this info on to companies so they can improve their quality of customer relations.

Ive received PS3, Xbox, computer parts and even a washer and dryer free.

All the information I report back has to be completely unbiased or else I don't get paid.

jasonbro

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I like how you edited your post and btw, I paid for my rmbp and MacBook 13" in full with my salary.

I realized that you had a website and 6 quadrillion posts and prolly wouldnt do that. Sorry :)

EDIT: I changed it back. It was wishful thinking to think i changed it before someone saw it.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I'm 28 and by free, I do customer services reviews for various manufactures. I get paid to get free items, test them and inquire about their support and pass this info on to companies so they can improve their quality of customer relations.

Ive received PS3, Xbox, computer parts and even a washer and dryer free.

All the information I report back has to be completely unbiased or else I don't get paid.

My offer still stands. :p

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
I realized that you had a website and 6 quadrillion posts and prolly wouldnt do that. Sorry :)

No worries. I also only do this reviews for major players in their respective markets. When I did washers and dryers, I did LG, Maytag, Frigidaire and Whirlpool.

heolongvang

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2012
Good info for newbie like me to buy a new SSD.
Seem like Sandforce controller SSD is not a good idea for Macbook with heavily used in editing photo.

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
How do you inquire about jobs like yours? Do you work for a specific company? I could use a second job, just moved from Texas to San Francisco, CA and the cost of living is outrageous here :eek:

Got lucky with a friend that worked at sony that hooked me up. Its not a full time job though.

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
Do you have any data about the SanDisk Extreme SSD? It is based on SF-2281 controller and SanDisk's own toggle NAND. I am about to install this on a 2012 13 MBP (the higher-end model).

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011
Do you have any data about the SanDisk Extreme SSD? It is based on SF-2281 controller and SanDisk's own toggle NAND. I am about to install this on a 2012 13 MBP (the higher-end model).

Unfortunately I do not. But if you want to add the data feel welcome. Or pass it on to me and I will

maxwelltech

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Irvine, CA, USA
I just finished installing the SanDisk Extreme on my MacBook Pro. The process is a little bit longer than I expected, because I stripped a couple of screws (I am not really good working with hardware, especially computers). Once completed, I fresh installed the system and used Migration Assistant to copy my data over. The speed test result is in the attachment below.
The benchmark result is a little bit underwhelming, probably because the BlackMagic tool uses incompressible data while the SandForce controller likes compressible data. The real world difference however is HUGE. The system now boots up in 10 seconds, much, much better than the 5400rpm hard drive. Apps like iMovie used to take like 5 bounces to start up, now it starts in 1 bounce. I got the SSD for a great deal at $80. It is a great upgrade to any system.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-23 at 5.59.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-23 at 5.59.08 PM.png
    773 KB · Views: 532

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
FL
I'd rather not start another thread but will add to this one... I'm a newbie on here obviously but since the stock HD is 320GB what is the advantage of the 128GB SSD? I understand faster boot ups and possible lower temps but I'm also loosing space at the same time.. Is that right or am i confusing myself..

Also how would i back up Snow leopard for the new SSD?

I found some 128GB on Crucial's websites.. Are those good or go with the Vertex and is this the best bang for the buck?

I'm not a gamer just a casual computer hog who runs multiple taps open and loves itunes.. i also may eventually upgrade to Mountain Lion.. I also plan on the 8GB kit from Crucial..

Thanks

danielvinson

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I found some 128GB on Crucial's websites.. Are those good or go with the Vertex and is this the best bang for the buck?

Actually the Vertex 3 is probably the best if you can find it on sale - since it has been around so long you end up with much more stable firmware, and it is almost as fast as the Vertex 4. I see them on sale all the time for $70/128GB.

MrMacBookPro

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
FL
Actually the Vertex 3 is probably the best if you can find it on sale - since it has been around so long you end up with much more stable firmware, and it is almost as fast as the Vertex 4. I see them on sale all the time for $70/128GB.

thanks, I'm just a little confused on the factory 320HD vs the 128GB SSD?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2011

Vertex 3 is a great drive, but also Sandforce driven so the Write speeds will be slower than the Vertex 4 which is Indilex driven.

Vertex 3 is a good drive, but the V4 is just so much faster and more reliable imo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.