Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
After a number of exchanges with technical support, their suggestion is to test it on another Mac - well, I don't have another one.

So for those of you using a Cyborg RAT 7 gaming mouse, my question is: HOW THE HECK can I make button programming/binding work? It has NEVER done a thing, not even moving back a page in a browser.

Does it have a conflict with MagicPrefs or the like? What am I supposed to delete in order to start over? Any advice will be HIGHLY appreciated.

vpaterno

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Mine doesn't work either

I'm wondering if you ever found a fix. I still have the hover problem and my RAT 7 isn't detected through the device and profile editor. I'm using a RAT 7 on 10.8.1 and have tried all versions of the Cyborg/MadCatz software.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Some of the people who bashed Razer's products (which is what I use) and recommended the Rat 7 over their stuff should have posted an attempt to help you by now. Hopefully you two get some answers somehow.

vpaterno

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Some of the people who bashed Razer's products (which is what I use) and recommended the Rat 7 over their stuff should have posted an attempt to help you by now. Hopefully you two get some answers somehow.

Appreciate it man. I really like the RAT 7 but the support is sub-par. It's taking a long while. I can't play CS:GO without having to hold one button down the hold time. That and I can't program the buttons the way I'd like to.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Appreciate it man. I really like the RAT 7 but the support is sub-par. It's taking a long while. I can't play CS:GO without having to hold one button down the hold time. That and I can't program the buttons the way I'd like to.

Yep; I have NEVER been able to program anything on my RAT 7 buttons (the key combinations even show up on the test window, but nothing happens in reality) - support was contacted, and their advice was: "test it on another Mac". Problem is: I don't have another one.

Besides, Cyborg's support pages and resources are close to nonexistent. I don't even know if I have to keep the Cyborg Editor open for anything to work; or why a selected preset cannot be de-selected.

Pathetic, no?

vpaterno

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Yep; I have NEVER been able to program anything on my RAT 7 buttons (the key combinations even show up on the test window, but nothing happens in reality) - support was contacted, and their advice was: "test it on another Mac". Problem is: I don't have another one.

Besides, Cyborg's support pages and resources are close to nonexistent. I don't even know if I have to keep the Cyborg Editor open for anything to work; or why a selected preset cannot be de-selected.

Pathetic, no?

I'm waiting on someone from their blog for an update. Hopefully they get this resolved soon.

I'm currently using USB Overdrive which, for the most part, works. It allows me to programming the keys and appears to fix the hover issue. That said, I'm unable to easily program the "Precision Aim" button. I say easily because I could write up a script and have USB Overdrive slow down the Tracking speed on click.

The only other problem I have with USB Overdrive right now is that if I disconnect the mouse, I lose my hovering ability; rendering the mouse useless for gaming. The only way to get the mouse hover to work again is restarting.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag

Pathetic, no?

This probably isn't horribly helpful but the only time I had issues was upgrading to 10.8 and that was fixed by upgrading to the latest software. As far as the editor, it doesn't need to be open for it to work.

Honestly, it probably is a conflict of some sort with something you installed (basing this off past experience with other mice). Without more information I can only state useless personal experience or make blind guesses.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
I'm waiting on someone from their blog for an update. Hopefully they get this resolved soon.

I'm currently using USB Overdrive which, for the most part, works. It allows me to programming the keys and appears to fix the hover issue. That said, I'm unable to easily program the "Precision Aim" button. I say easily because I could write up a script and have USB Overdrive slow down the Tracking speed on click.

The only other problem I have with USB Overdrive right now is that if I disconnect the mouse, I lose my hovering ability; rendering the mouse useless for gaming. The only way to get the mouse hover to work again is restarting.

Tried both USBOv and SteerMouse, and NONE of them works well with the RAT 7; in fact, I am able to program the buttons (great) but I always have to click just to activate the Finder's Dock, for example (probably what you mean by losing hover ability)...and if this happens, forget about gaming of course.

Pathetic level of support, to say the least.

----------

This probably isn't horribly helpful but the only time I had issues was upgrading to 10.8 and that was fixed by upgrading to the latest software. As far as the editor, it doesn't need to be open for it to work.

Honestly, it probably is a conflict of some sort with something you installed (basing this off past experience with other mice). Without more information I can only state useless personal experience or make blind guesses.

The only conflict that I could foresee is with MagicPrefs (also installed on my Mac) - do you think this could cause a problem?

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Okay the hover ability for menus was caused by the older software. Are you absolutely sure you have the latest updates from their site?

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Okay the hover ability for menus was caused by the older software. Are you absolutely sure you have the latest updates from their site?

Yep, even got the ML beta version - and believe me, I won't fresh install OS X just because of that; my system runs perfectly fine apart from the Cyborg driver.

Again, the only conflict I may envisage is with MagicPrefs - I've just uninstalled it and will report back soon.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Yep, even got the ML beta version - and believe me, I won't fresh install OS X just because of that; my system runs perfectly fine apart from the Cyborg driver.

Again, the only conflict I may envisage is with MagicPrefs - I've just uninstalled it and will report back soon.

Wouldn't suggest a complete OS reinstall as that is a bit of overkill. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that MagicPrefs would conflict with other mouse software so hope that fixes it.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Wouldn't suggest a complete OS reinstall as that is a bit of overkill. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that MagicPrefs would conflict with other mouse software so hope that fixes it.

Just testing now...no possibility to go back a page in the browser, for example...profile activated and so on.

vpaterno

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012

Although I don't don't doubt the possibility of software stepping on each other here, I'm skeptical that this is the cause of my problem. I've tried the mouse with three, nay four, machines. Two running OS X Mountain Lion (MacBook and MacBook Pro), one running Snow Leopard (Mac Mini), and one running Leopard (iMac). That said, all four machines had the hover problem and didn't detect the mouse in the Cyborg profile editor.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to do a fresh install on these machines but I can say that two of the machines do not have other drivers that I see interfering with the Cyborg driver. The two machines that may have issues have BetterTouch tool and USB Overdrive installed and the machine with USB Overdrive only has USB Overdrive because it's currently being used with the RAT7.

----------

Just testing now...no possibility to go back a page in the browser, for example...profile activated and so on.

Are you implying that the RAT7 now being detected by the Cyborg profile editor? If not, then was it always detected? Mine doesn't detect anything :/.

Original poster
Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Well, I just don't know. The mouse is on, tracking works, right and left buttons work; and that's all. Regardless of programmed buttons and their commands showing on the test windows, NOTHING has ever worked when trying to use them outside the test window.

Besides, SteerMouse and others do allow for button programming...but then the hover function doesn't work.

Is it really THAT difficult to make a mouse work? Unbelievable.

P.s.: If you mean the MAIN Cyborg editor app, it is detected; but the Cyborg menu item has NEVER found or shown my mouse, in fact.

vpaterno

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Well, I just don't know. The mouse is on, tracking works, right and left buttons work; and that's all. Regardless of programmed buttons and their commands showing on the test windows, NOTHING has ever worked when trying to use them outside the test window.

Besides, SteerMouse and others do allow for button programming...but then the hover function doesn't work.

Is it really THAT difficult to make a mouse work? Unbelievable.

P.s.: If you mean the MAIN Cyborg editor app, it is detected; but the Cyborg menu item has NEVER found or shown my mouse, in fact.

Bummer. Mine isn't detected at all; not through the profile editor or the status bar menu. I don't even get the false joy of programming my buttons through the Cyborg editor, lol. Interestingly enough though, my system logs show a record from the MadCatz software/Cyborg Editor "detaching" the device.

Code:
Sep 12 14:11:29 Vincents-MacBook-Pro.local MadCatzSmartTechnology[276]: device removal detected - closing driver connection 
Sep 12 14:11:29 Vincents-MacBook-Pro.local Cyborg Editor[640]: device removal detected - closing driver connection

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Bummer. Mine isn't detected at all; not through the profile editor or the status bar menu. I don't even get the false joy of programming my buttons through the Cyborg editor, lol. Interestingly enough though, my system logs show a record from the MadCatz software/Cyborg Editor "detaching" the device.

Code:
Sep 12 14:11:29 Vincents-MacBook-Pro.local MadCatzSmartTechnology[276]: device removal detected - closing driver connection 
Sep 12 14:11:29 Vincents-MacBook-Pro.local Cyborg Editor[640]: device removal detected - closing driver connection

Wow, that is weird. Does support know about this? Sounds almost defective.

vpaterno

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Wow, that is weird. Does support know about this? Sounds almost defective.

Yup, I've filed a ticket (which hasn't been resolved) and posted on their blog, where I was told it would be looked at by someone in their software team. I've yet to get any response.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2009
Yup, I've filed a ticket (which hasn't been resolved) and posted on their blog, where I was told it would be looked at by someone in their software team. I've yet to get any response.

Did any one get this working in the end?

geniium

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
MadCatzSmartTechnology process

Cannot help you, but I can add another weird thing :

The process is taking about 5% CPU even when the mouse is not connected.

This means bad programming.

And I'm intrested in answers here about the above problem.

Cheers!

djhack1639

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2002
I'm posting here because it didn't seem that this was ever really solved and this thread is the best google result for this issue.

I just got my RAT7 working on Mavericks. It took a little fiddling. Here are the steps I did:
  1. Uninstall all other mouse drivers - USB-Overdrive, SteerMouse, Logitech, Razer, etc.
  2. Restart.
  3. Install the MadCatz driver/editor software.
  4. Restart.
  5. Add the Mad Catz Editor to the Accessibility permissions list. System Prefs -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Accessibility. Click the lock to authenticate then drag the Mad Catz Editor into the list to give it permissions.
  6. Create/edit profiles and commands. Be sure to save the profile(s).
  7. Use the menubar item to assign a profile to the mouse.

I can set dpi levels, configure the buttons, create custom commands, and save/load profiles and everything seems to be working fine.

Without Step 5, I could not create custom commands to have the mouse send keystrokes or macros.
Without step 7 the software had tried to assign both "no profile" and my newly created/assign profile to the mouse. Using the menubar item to specify a profile fixed the confusion.

Last edited:

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I'm going to try this with my M.O.U.S.9 and see if it works because right now it's a $90 POS. Not to mention the Bluetooth is spotty with it.

Code cookies

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2011
UK
Not sure whether you've all fixed it yet, but another thing to try is adding
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/MadCatzSmartTechnology.app
to your startup items, it fixed all the problems with my rat 5.

Debaser0x

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2014
I just want to help and say that this :

Code:
I just got my RAT7 working on Mavericks. It took a little fiddling. Here are the steps I did:
Uninstall all other mouse drivers - USB-Overdrive, SteerMouse, Logitech, Razer, etc.
Restart.
Install the MadCatz driver/editor software.
Restart.
Add the Mad Catz Editor to the Accessibility permissions list. System Prefs -> Security & Privacy -> Privacy -> Accessibility. Click the lock to authenticate then drag the Mad Catz Editor into the list to give it permissions.
Create/edit profiles and commands. Be sure to save the profile(s).
Use the menubar item to assign a profile to the mouse.

and this:

Code:
/Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/MadCatzSmartTechnology.app

Help solve the issue. The new r.a.t. 7 program seems to add the madcatzsmarttechnology.app but just add the '.app' just in case to the file name just in case.

I've also noticed to get new bindings to take effect, switch to no profile and back to the profile you are tinkering on.

Other notable things, since the precession sniper button is already mapped to f5, its hard to bind it to something different NO MATTER WHAT. i'm trying to make it apple+space to highlight spotlight quickly when i'm not gaming and it only registers as the initial key stroke + F5, which turns on voiceover assist. Driving me insane.

I'll also list the buttons that are hard mapped:
LEFT SIDE:
Sniper Button: F5
Button 1: ]
Button 2: [

I say hard mapped, because it appears to interfere with existing shortcuts on OSX, but I haven't seen problems in game. I'm running boot camp but with all these new titles coming out on mac, I'm trying to stick to just one OSX. I tried to change the shortcut for spotlight to apple+f5 with no luck.

Other than that, the aforementioned fixes for key bindings do work in game, just not for the mac osx. If anyone has any ideas about that please post up. I love my R.A.T. for the comfort, i got big hands, but the OSX program is clunky at best.

djhack1639

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2002
Definitely odd behavior in the software. I just tried remapping the aim button to Cmd+Space and now it is mapped to F5 and won't change.

Debaser0x

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2014
I think it just bugs out with OSX. I can map them find in game. As long as I either, switch profiles or as it happened last night restarted the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.