Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kilj0y

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012
You're missing one. 1280x720 resolution to go along with the 4.3 inch screen. That way you get a standard resolution and retain the same PPI.

Please add it to your list.

Did you not read the comments in your thread about how a 720p resolution is not needed?

whoknows87

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
S.Florida
Improved Camera + a New Chip call it A7 and that's about it screen size change possible but not likely , also maybe a new color , black , white and ........?

Castle87

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
The new phone has to have some sort of knock out punch. A simple refresh/update will not do. They need to go back to embarrasing other developers. Scaring companies. Being ten steps ahead of the competition. So I'm hoping the 6 has something that we didn't even know we needed/wanted, and then once we experience it, can't go back to anything else.

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
Faster processor, improved camera, iOS7 - hardware wise I don' think we're in for many changes.

However - there are few pieces of tech that stand out as potential candidates if Apple feels they can make the experience of using it up to their standard:

NFC - Enough has been said about this, we all know it exists and is already in some Smartphones. Maybe this is an integration with Passbook.

Fingerprint Scanning - Apple has been in talks with AuthenTec to license/buy the technology. Might we see something new in iOS7 that takes advantage?

Haptic Feedback - Many folks thought this might be included in the new iPad. It's a way to experience texture on the screen. I still believe if we even ever see the tech implemented it's use is better suited for a larger screen, but who knows what Apple may have in mind.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
It's two years away, we're seriously talking about this now?

If they want me to buy the 5S have a fingerprint scanner working to Apple expectations and I'll buy it just for that. I am so tired of typing in passcodes it's ridiculous.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
You mean the iPhone 5S :p

Expect the typical...

-Better processor (quad-core)
-Better camera (10 megapixel)
-Better wireless (LTE world phone)
-Better battery
-iOS 7

Maybe one of these...

-NFC/iWallet
-Fingerprint tech
-Wireless charging

Honestly, its kind of hard to have revolutionary tech and stuff. The iPhone 5 already packs so much.

I believe next year will be a software update compared to a hardware one like with iOS 5.

iOS 7 will probably be really cool and featured packed compared to iOS 6.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Heres my iPhone 6 predictions:

- 4.3" LCD screen. It will be OLED. The screen will be just as tall, but slightly wider.
- Liquid metal backing. It will be a thin metal but extra strong to resist scratches and bending.
- No more home button.
- Available in 128GB size
- Camera will be 12MP with low light capability.
- NFC
- Battery life will be 20 hours of WiFi surfing, 18 hours over cellular.
- Wireless charging.

2014 release. We all know iPhone 5s is next year.

BTW no NFC ever and no 4.3" screen.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I think the iPhone 5S will have a breakthrough feature. Just like Siri was on the 4S or Retina/FaceTime was on the 4.

I see NFC or Fingerprint Tech. on the 5S.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Highly doubt we will see a larger screen for years. Apple will stick with this new size design for the foreseeable future. Next big gains will not occur in screen resolution, since most eyes can not tell the difference, but in battery life. That is the golden cow they are seeking. You increase battery life significantly, you can open the doors to many new features. Battery life is the achilles heel for smartphones.

PedroDias

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2012
i think the real iphone 6 (not the 5s) will have a 720p screen and obviously a higher ppi resolution (that means, maintaining the 4 inch aspect ratio). of course new CPU, GPU, 2g RAM, storage capacity starting at 32g, more siri features, NFC, 10 MP camera with bigger lenses (yet really thin) and the surprise factor.
For the body i think it will be a little smaller then the actual 5, with a thickness under the 7mm.
there will be a new battery tecnology (liquid metal) which will allow the iphone to double the actual battery life and still be really thin.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom

- 4.3" LCD screen. It will be OLED. The screen will be just as tall, but slightly wider.
- Liquid metal backing. It will be a thin metal but extra strong to resist scratches and bending.
- No more home button.
- NFC
- Wireless charging.

None of it will happen.

4.3" No chance Apple have just moved to a 4" without much disruption to apps ect..They never said it was "just right" if they planned on copying Samsung thinking a bigger screen means a better phone.

Liquid metal - a few years off yet.

12MP - They could have done this with the Iphone 5 but obviously felt 8MP was good enough.

Wireless - No chance they never brought lighting connectors in to get rid of them this quick.

128GB - Would make the phone too expensive.

Home Button will stay.

NFC will definitely come to an Iphone 5S next year.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Highly doubt we will see a larger screen for years. Apple will stick with this new size design for the foreseeable future. Next big gains will not occur in screen resolution, since most eyes can not tell the difference, but in battery life. That is the golden cow they are seeking. You increase battery life significantly, you can open the doors to many new features. Battery life is the achilles heel for smartphones.

I think the battery is the next place for major breakthrough. In the future with the progress of micro scale fuel cells, you should have to charge your phone often at all. This is a way off, but the screen can only get so big (we know how big that is thanks to Samsung and their larger than life Galaxy Note). I am no visionary, but from a software standpoint, I don't know that we'll ever get a huge overhaul any time soon.

I wonder how many S versions of phones it will take for consumers to really look past every other iPhone release and adapt a 2 year cycle.

robbie12345

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
United States
In all likelyness. It will be something like this:

Apple a7 quad core arm 7 processor double performance

Double fast graphics.

12 megapixel camera with improved optics

Nfc for passbook (very likely)

Drop the 16gb abd go up to 128gb

And fix any problems the iphone 5 has

And ios7 which of course has siri

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
In all likelyness. It will be something like this:

Apple a7 quad core arm 7 processor double performance

Double fast graphics.

12 megapixel camera with improved optics

Nfc for passbook (very likely)

Drop the 16gb abd go up to 128gb

And fix any problems the iphone 5 has

And ios7 which of course has siri

I can see most of these but not increasing to 128 GB. Apple wants you to use the cloud for streaming your music, apps, your video, pictures, etc. If anything, I can see internal storage disappearing in the future.

ledlauzis

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2011
localhost
You are way too optimistic. If you are thinking in two year perspective then we will see iPhone 6 but if we are looking to the next year we will get iPhone 5S.

Which will feature slightly bigger battery, better processor and probably your mentioned 12 megapixel camera since Sony has already made one.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States

- No more home button.
- NFC
- Wireless charging.

AMOLED is the worst screen ever because of burn-in issue. Samesung's AMOLED also uses terrible Pentile matrix. :(

Badfoot

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
London, UK
Forget the 5S and 6, the one to really look forward to will be iPhone 7!.

Flexible technology will allow this foldable 6" phone it fit in a ticket pocket, battery life of 6 months and the piezo circuit will keep it charged as you walk.
A version of Siri will read your thoughts..no more talking out loud to it.
But it won,t be available in white.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Schiller has taken a stance against NFC and wireless charging, so both of those are out the window.

I'd say it'll be a an iPhone 5 with faster internals and a big focus on software, probably a better camera, better battery, better GPS, and more power-efficient LTE chips.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.