Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hei. I just recently bought mafia 2 to my 2011 mbp 13" 2.4ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ram that runs Nvidia 320M with 256mb and it barely works on low parameters. I keep the resolution 1280 x 800 because others looks just terrible on my MBP, but the game just lags and works very sloooow.

Almost the biggest thing that effects the game the most on that card (due to it's low power and it's lack dedicated RAM) is resolution. Trying to play at 720p resolutions with that card will cause it to slow down a lot as it just does not have the hardware compared to dedicated graphics cards.

Resolution is a very important parameter when gaming so you are not playing on low settings rather you are playing on quite high ones! Lower your resolution and watch the game speed up dramatically.

I consider these very decent parameters for such a game, how come is working so badly? The optimization of the game isn't so well perhaps? Should I wait for the patch and will it be able to help increasing the performance? I don't have anything to measure the fps, but it's not very high obviously. :(

The 320M is a low powered card it is not designed to run games it is designed to use low power and be able to run HD videos, mail and another standard programs users have installed and not high end 3D gaming titles.

To put the 320M into perspective the 27" iMac graphics card has 20 times the computational power of the 320M. In fact the AMD 4000 series card in the 21" iMac from early 2009 has about 4 and a bit times the computational power of the 320M card.

We have a few things we can do to improve the performance and with some help from NV & AMD (they have the game and have been helping us by profiling it on their cards) all this work should speed things up for you and improve your experience. All these will be in the patch but you have to understand the 320M is one of the least powerful cards installed in a Mac in recent years when it comes to gaming so it will never give the same experience as someone with a 2009 AMD4000 series card never mind the new iMacs with the AMD6000 series.

Edwin

kadentrom

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2012
The game is great, amazing sequel to the first Mafia, which was also awesome. The issue is that its either very resource consuming. It been looking around the forum and haven't seen too much discussion about these totally amazing games.

Sephiroth0

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
Once we get BioShock 2 released, we will have more time to complete the patch and release it. When I have more news you will have more news as well :)

Edwin

Hello

Any news on the Mafia Patch? I'm eagerly waiting for this update - the graphics performance is really disappointing. The game runs flawless with the same settings on the same machine (iMac with i7 and 2GB video memory) under windows. I'd like to get rid of windows and play the game on Mac OS X since Mafia is the only reason why I have installed Windows on my machine.

regards

Sephiroth

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hello

Any news on the Mafia Patch? I'm eagerly waiting for this update - the graphics performance is really disappointing. The game runs flawless with the same settings on the same machine (iMac with i7 and 2GB video memory) under windows. I'd like to get rid of windows and play the game on Mac OS X since Mafia is the only reason why I have installed Windows on my machine.

regards

Sephiroth

With mountain lion and the reason behind the slowdown the patch is taking much longer than I expected when I first posted. I know it does not make the game faster but we are discussing how to make the game run faster with the driver teams at NV and AMD as the issue is connected to how the drivers work and keeping them on what's called the "fast path".

Drop me a PM and I will see about getting you onto the beta patch list if you are interested.

Cheers,

Edwin

macuser2000

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2012
Following a number of very positive reviews, I am thinking about buying Mafia II for the Mac as released by Feral...does anyone have a more informed opinion on the game and its Mac-native performance?

AGAIN: I am NOT interested in PC versions of this game, Boot Camp or the like.

I purchased from Feral and for me, it freezes up at some point on almost every level. Usually whilst driving.

Sephiroth0

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2011
With mountain lion and the reason behind the slowdown the patch is taking much longer than I expected when I first posted. I know it does not make the game faster but we are discussing how to make the game run faster with the driver teams at NV and AMD as the issue is connected to how the drivers work and keeping them on what's called the "fast path".

Drop me a PM and I will see about getting you onto the beta patch list if you are interested.

Cheers,

Edwin

Hi Edwin,

Thank you for your offer but since I just updated to mountain lion I'd rather wait until the official release. Can you roughly estimate a release date?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi Edwin,

Thank you for your offer but since I just updated to mountain lion I'd rather wait until the official release. Can you roughly estimate a release date?

Mountain Lion has new graphics drivers which in 10.8.0 have some performance drops (about 5% on average) compared to Lion. As such we don't have an eta at this time. But I promise to post in this thread once the patch is live.

Edwin

Cintulek

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
Hi!

Where You want to release that "faster patch"? I've buyed game, but it's itself crasching after 30 minutes of playing, and it's so slowly... I can play on Bootcamp, but I don't want to. On bootcamp game working so good, without any crash, it's faster on that.
:cool:

//My MBP spec:
MacBook Pro late 2011r, 2,2Ghz Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8GB RAM, 750GB, Lion 10.7.4

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi!

Where You want to release that "faster patch"? I've buyed game, but it's itself crasching after 30 minutes of playing, and it's so slowly... I can play on Bootcamp, but I don't want to. On bootcamp game working so good, without any crash, it's faster on that.
:cool:

//My MBP spec:
MacBook Pro late 2011r, 2,2Ghz Intel Core i7, AMD Radeon HD 6750M, 8GB RAM, 750GB, Lion 10.7.4

We don't have any major crashes reported on the AMD Radeon 6000 cards, please contact support and send them your Support Report (created in the pre game options window). I suspect you are playing with to many settings on but once you send your support report to us we can have a look.

Edwin

Edwin

spourop

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
Hi edwin, I play this game with my Macbook pro 15" hi-ress(1680:1050) /quad core i7/AMD Radeon HD 6490M/4 GB, 1333 MHz/500GB HDD

However when i put everything at low settings, disable aa etc i still can't play very smooth at a resolution of *852 is this normal? Also will the upcomming performance patch fix this?

Btw: i have mountain lion if that changes anything.

Thanks in advance,
Spourop

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi edwin, I play this game with my Macbook pro 15" hi-ress(1680:1050) /quad core i7/AMD Radeon HD 6490M/4 GB, 1333 MHz/500GB HDD

However when i put everything at low settings, disable aa etc i still can't play very smooth at a resolution of *852 is this normal? Also will the upcomming performance patch fix this?

Btw: i have mountain lion if that changes anything.

Thanks in advance,
Spourop

Contact support and we can investigate it does not sound right but perhaps a driver OS update has some side effects on your model of card.

Mention you spoke to me in the email and I will have a quick look myself.

Cheers,

Edwin

spourop

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2012
Contact support and we can investigate it does not sound right but perhaps a driver OS update has some side effects on your model of card.

Mention you spoke to me in the email and I will have a quick look myself.

Cheers,

Edwin
Ok, thanks

At what setting should it run normally?

EDIT: If I use the benchmark function in 'extras' it says it is using the the Intel HD300 gpu, even tough i chose in my system preferences to only use the AMD GPU, is this normal?

Also it's only running at 20 fps when using the *852 resolution at the lowest settings, everything disabled, and the filterthing at 1X

Last edited:

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Ok, thanks

At what setting should it run normally?

EDIT: If I use the benchmark function in 'extras' it says it is using the the Intel HD300 gpu, even tough i chose in my system preferences to only use the AMD GPU, is this normal?

Also it's only running at 20 fps when using the *852 resolution at the lowest settings, everything disabled, and the filterthing at 1X

That does not sound right, email support with a support report and we can have a look.

Edwin

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
I'm curios to see how my officially unsupported GTX 570 2.5GB will do.

I'm a bit disappointed. I first played DiRT2 (max settings, 1920x1200) and the graphics were awesome. BF3-niveau. 80 FPS or so.
Then I opened Mafia II, and the first thing I saw was that the graphics are on a completely different level than DiRT2. It looks like a game from 2006, even with details on High and stuff. Sometimes it's pretty laggy, almost unplayable. Also maxed out settings, and then I started to go down with the settings, didn't help. It's a great game in terms of story and gameplay, but there should be better graphics!

My machine should easily be able able to handle this.
It's a 2009 Mac Pro (2.66 Quadcore) tuned with a Samsung 830 SSD, 16GB RAM and a EVGA GTX 570 2.5 GB (one of the Top10 GPUs at the moment. Wrecks even gaming PCs.). The GPU is EFI-flashed, so it runs perfectly fine under OS X. Even bootscreen and stuff.
I didn't expect OS X to run games as good as Windows with DirectX does (playing Battlefield 3 on Ultra 1920x1200), but 2 year old games should run smoothly.

I installed the new Nvidia 304.xxx driver (came out this week) BUT I didn't get OpenCL running since OS X doesen't support more than 2GB VRAM. There is patch, but I screwed up my system twice while trying to fix OpenCL.

edit: I ran the benchmark in the options. The result I got was about 21-23 fps on average! This is just ridiculus for my system.

Last edited:

rafarataneneces

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
The high loading performance test built into Mafia 2 (in the Extras menu) gives an average of 20.5 fps on a similar Mac to yours, I used a Mac mini which is a little slower. That should give you a general frame rate while playing of 20 to 30 fps as the performance test is usually a little more complex than the game.
Edwin

Edwin how do you measure FPS on Mac OS X?
I used FRAPS on Windows before to show the FPS

I also have a Logitech G15 keyboard and FRAPS worked with that and showed me FPS

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
EVGA GTX 570 2.5 GB (one of the Top10 GPUs at the moment. Wrecks even gaming PCs.). The GPU is EFI-flashed, so it runs perfectly fine under OS X. Even bootscreen and stuff.

Nvidia have a known bottleneck in their drivers with this game specifically. It something on how the game deals with certain assets which means that the Nvidia drivers / Apple GL end up using way more CPU time slowing the game down. We are working on the issue but as it is driver related it is not something that we can improve super quickly. The fact your card is not a supported device on the Mac does mean you might be getting more of a slowdown than normal as it's an untested device but I cannot be sure.

Edwin

El Awesome

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Zurich
Thanks man.
Is there a way I can come around it?
But even if it's using more of my CPU, why is it slowing down that much?
I have a 2.66 Quad Xeon, which is almost as fast as the new rMBP with fastest CPU (2.77 i7 Quad) is. Pretty strong stuff.

And why does DiRT2, also from Feral, run flawlessy? Where is the difference between these two games?

avemestr

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2012
Thanks man.
Is there a way I can come around it?
But even if it's using more of my CPU, why is it slowing down that much?
I have a 2.66 Quad Xeon, which is almost as fast as the new rMBP with fastest CPU (2.77 i7 Quad) is. Pretty strong stuff.

No, it's not.

W3520 (your CPU): 4901 in PassMark.

i7-3820QM (fastest MBPr): 9246 in PassMark.

So, about 87% faster CPU.

The slowest MBPr CPU is 3615QM, which scores 7,806 or about 60% faster than your out-dated CPU.

(The MP is a wonderful machine, but entirely out of date)

EDIT:
The Geekbench scores (64-bit):

Your machine: 9230
Fastest MBPr: 13261 (44% faster)
Slowest MBPr: 11764 (27% faster)

The Geekbench scores (32-bit):

Your machine: 8266
Fastest MBPr: 12166 (47% faster)
Slowest MBPr: 10773 (30% faster)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.