Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Seems all Samsung want to do is sell you a bigger phone:

Galaxy Note -5.3"
Galaxy Note 2 - 5.5"
Galaxy Note 3 - I'm sure the rumour I seen was 6"2 inch screen??

It makes me appreciate the 4" screen and 3.5" of the older Iphones.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012

Galaxy Note -5.3"
Galaxy Note 2 - 5.5"

The note series is a totally different device, for a totally different market, for a different use with a different user experience.

armoredsaint

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2010
USA
wife has the charge (which is big and bulky, hard to fit into her pockets of dress clothes) and my parents have the SIII which is huge and awkward to carry. my dad often likes to carry stuff in his shirt pocket, but the SII is too big for that.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
4" is about just the right size screen for a phone. I played around with a buddies phone that was 4.5" and it felt way to big to hold for a phone. It was awkward.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
wife has the charge (which is big and bulky, hard to fit into her pockets of dress clothes) and my parents have the SIII which is huge and awkward to carry. my dad often likes to carry stuff in his shirt pocket, but the SII is too big for that.

He must have pretty small pockets if it can't fit into his shirt pocket.

fins831

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011
I was in Chipotle the other day waiting in line and this lady in front of me takes out a Note and has the smallest hands ever. She had to hold it with her left and peck letters with her index on right to text. Slowest text messaging, and it just looked so huge and unnecessary...

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012

Galaxy Note -5.3"
Galaxy Note 2 - 5.5"

By omitting every other Samsung phone out there then you are creating a very slanted (and pointless) argument.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012

Galaxy Note -5.3"
Galaxy Note 2 - 5.5"

comparing a phablet to a smartphone = comparing apples to oranges.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I was in Chipotle the other day waiting in line and this lady in front of me takes out a Note and has the smallest hands ever. She had to hold it with her left and peck letters with her index on right to text. Slowest text messaging, and it just looked so huge and unnecessary...

Totally agreed. There was once I had to take the public transport because my car had to go for its yearly servicing, and I could finally appreciate the one-handed use the iPhone allows us to do especially when you're standing up on the train. You can grab on a pole using one hand and use the other hand to text away.
They always say the bigger the screen, the better it is. But for me its not the case. I find that the iPhone's screen is extremely easy to type with. I can type extremely fast that my Android friends with Galaxy Notes can't even keep up. Not only that, I could still type decently fast with one hand.
Most of my friends admitted that they can't use their Galaxy Notes with only one hand and had to use 2 hands for almost anything.

----------

Galaxy Note -5.3"
Galaxy Note 2 - 5.5"

I agree totally. All Samsung is trying to do is to simply sell people bigger and bigger phones and claim that bigger is the way to go. They tried to make smaller phones with smaller screens a huge joke which don't make sense. I find that even with smaller screens it always fit anybody else. Even a guy with relatively big hands like mine can comfortably use the iPhone 4. Whereas if you make the screens bigger and bigger less and less people will find enjoyable to use it.

numbersyx

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
Matter of choice really. For some bigger phones work and for others they don't. I actually think the iPhone 5 is ideal for me. Friend of mine was looking at the website and said it was too small for him. We're both right....

Chromie

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2011
The bigger screens on BOTH the HTC EVO 4G LTE and Samsung 3 is why I honestly jumped ship with Apple.

I was FINE with 4.3", but why did they have to keep going not only bigger, but WIDER? I have small hands. I was originally an HTC fan, but due to their horendous support and update cycle, I decided to go with Samsung, since they seem to be the ONLY reliable OEM that supports and updates their devices. Turns out, the S3 has an even bigger and wider screen than the HE4LTE. :(

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
Why do we have so many Samsung topics on the iPhone forum. Its ridiculous.
Insecurity and Dissatisfaction

If someone REALLY loved everything about their phone then they wouldnt even be interested in what else is out there. (The same goes for finding a good woman)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah. Samsung really needs to focus on better build materials instead of larger screens. It seems build material is a huge point of contention for a lot of people. Samsung is underestimating (or overestimating?) people's shallowness.

They're getting a bit out of control with the screen sizes. The Galaxy line should remain sub 5" while the Note can fill that 5"+ target.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Totally agreed. There was once I had to take the public transport because my car had to go for its yearly servicing, and I could finally appreciate the one-handed use the iPhone allows us to do especially when you're standing up on the train. You can grab on a pole using one hand and use the other hand to text away.
They always say the bigger the screen, the better it is. But for me its not the case. I find that the iPhone's screen is extremely easy to type with. I can type extremely fast that my Android friends with Galaxy Notes can't even keep up. Not only that, I could still type decently fast with one hand.
Most of my friends admitted that they can't use their Galaxy Notes with only one hand and had to use 2 hands for almost anything.

This argument is so old and tired and not true. I came from a 4S and now have the SGS3. I can message/email faster on my android than i could ever on my 4S. Why? Simply, Swype. And that is referring to 2 handed use. If we go to 1 handed use I can message/email about 10 times as fast as on my iphone 4S. Why? Again, Swype.

Listen people, I have GIRLISH SMALL HANDS for a dude and I can reach the ENTIRE Swype keyboard with either thumb in one handed use. If I tried to message/email on my iphone 1 handed it would take FOREVER pecking with my one thumb.

Just please give the one handed use bit a break. Swype > iPhone keyboard and always will be. Haven't even mentioned Swiftkey if you hate swyping and want to peck keys. In that case, Swiftkey > iPhone keyboard.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
This argument is so old and tired and not true. I came from a 4S and now have the SGS3. I can message/email faster on my android than i could ever on my 4S. Why? Simply, Swype. And that is referring to 2 handed use. If we go to 1 handed use I can message/email about 10 times as fast as on my iphone 4S. Why? Again, Swype.

Listen people, I have GIRLISH SMALL HANDS for a dude and I can reach the ENTIRE Swype keyboard with either thumb in one handed use. If I tried to message/email on my iphone 1 handed it would take FOREVER pecking with my one thumb.

Just please give the one handed use bit a break. Swype > iPhone keyboard and always will be. Haven't even mentioned Swiftkey if you hate swyping and want to peck keys. In that case, Swiftkey > iPhone keyboard.

Swype, I do agree, is a great alternative for large screens with larger keyboard. But besides from typing, what I'm generally addressing is the overally large UI/screen. You cant reach for many things near the top of the screen very well. If you get what I meant.

I've tried swype before, and honestly it was rather difficult to use (to me). I find it difficult to lift up my fingers whenever I wanted to end a word. And I meant really fast swyping.

andross77

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011
Swype, I do agree, is a great alternative for large screens with larger keyboard. But besides from typing, what I'm generally addressing is the overally large UI/screen. You cant reach for many things near the top of the screen very well. If you get what I meant.

I've tried swype before, and honestly it was rather difficult to use (to me). I find it difficult to lift up my fingers whenever I wanted to end a word. And I meant really fast swyping.

i see. When i need to hit something in the top right corner, i just shift my palm underneath the phone and can reach it. but what saves me the most time is being able to write out emails almost as fast as i can type them on my computer (~50-60 wpm).

swyping is even faster if you have dry hands like myself. If you have sweaty hands or they get moist a lot then it can be a bit more difficult. But yeah, my hands are barely larger than my 5'5" hispanic wife's and I can use my SGS3 np. So i'm guessing there are about 10,000 people out there where the SGS is ACTUALLY too big for 1 hand use and about 50,000,000 people out there that just like to bitch about stuff they no nothing about and have no personal experience with :rolleyes:

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
i see. When i need to hit something in the top right corner, i just shift my palm underneath the phone and can reach it. but what saves me the most time is being able to write out emails almost as fast as i can type them on my computer (~50-60 wpm).

swyping is even faster if you have dry hands like myself. If you have sweaty hands or they get moist a lot then it can be a bit more difficult. But yeah, my hands are barely larger than my 5'5" hispanic wife's and I can use my SGS3 np. So i'm guessing there are about 10,000 people out there where the SGS is ACTUALLY too big for 1 hand use and about 50,000,000 people out there that just like to bitch about stuff they no nothing about and have no personal experience with :rolleyes:

Strangely I do have similarly cold, dry hands and palms. Which means I rarely do get fingerprints on my phone, if not little. Yep, I do agree- if you fingers are sticky, swype isn't a great alternative as you would have to swipe your fingers across the screen. And that's where matte screen protectors come into play. I personally do not have one, though .
But I just find it tiring and weird to have to lift up my fingers everytime I finish my word. I feel cumbersome when I do that. And that is with trying the Galaxy S. (Of course, experiences may change as it is almost a 2-3 year old phone)

And your numbers are strangely exaggerated, fyi :D . I know ALOT of people who complained about the big screen. The first moment they used it. Like , ''God the screen is big and nice but I can't even use it with one hand, how am I able to use it on the train or something?'' - Quoted by My wife.

One handed use is not a lame argument, but is something some people care but others don't. It generally depends on each individual .

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Apple seems obsessed with being able to use its phone with one hand, all this talk of being able to access any tab by stretching your thumb.

I always use two hands with my iPhone. One to hold it and the other to operate it. I guess if I only had one hand I would be grateful.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Why do we have so many Samsung topics on the iPhone forum. Its ridiculous.

Mod Note: Shouldn't be many at all. We are asking members to take such talk to the "Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices" forum and are moving threads to that forum, if need be (such as this one). If you find a thread that you feel should be moved, we ask that you report the first post and let us know. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.