Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TreyCox

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
Washington, DC
Oh please, this is nothing new. My 24" iMac from 2009 does the exact same thing.

Yep! I'm typing from my iMac at work right now that does it. 2009 iMac 24".... just looked up the screen specs on it and it reads "LG.Phillips LCD" when I look it up online.

The screen is horribly yellow and it has constant "ghosting".

ctcampbell

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
I'm having my 5th rMBP delivered tomorrow.

Strangely enough, none of my previous machines had image retention issues. My last 2 have had horrible yellow tinting to either the right hand side or bottom of the screen. My first had dead pixels but was otherwise perfect in every way, and my 2nd was similar only it had a bent hinge, meaning the lid didnt close properly (left a big gap, not exactly ideal).

Basically I'm more worried about the yellow tint issues than anything else, especially given that the iPad 3rd gens are plagued with them. Given that my original iPad has the issue, and half of my iPhones have had it, I'd say its an issue with the glass used in the IPS panels.

I have plenty of IPS monitors with great screen uniformity, all without any fancy glass cover on the front. Yet all my iMacs and Cinema Displays have all had yellow tinting at the bottom, along with the illustrious black bar.

You don't by any chance wear glasses do you? What you have described sounds like the chromatic aberration you get from the coating on modern lenses. I get the same thing when wearing mine.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Oh my GOSH! Early adopter babies. If you are early adopter then you should know.

And really, people are setting their computers wrong. They need to put on display sleep. So is non-issue.

:cool:

george-brooks

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Our 30" Apple displays do this also...started about a year ago. I think 'ghosting' is just something that happens to displays over time, but definitely shouldn't happen to these new Retina screens.

Both of my 23" alu cinema displays do this as well, but the problem only started after about 3 years of near constant use

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT
Ghosting issues seem to be very difficult to pin down. I have a 2011 iMac and it doesn't show even a hint of ghosting. On my MacPro at home (actually a HackPro) I have been using a Vizio TV as a monitor. I too thought that screen savers were a thing of the past, but where I had a few icons on the desktop they became almost burned into the display. When I used the TV as a TV I could still see the icons. I put a screen saver back on the Mac and about a month later I think all the ghosts are gone.

I think I will just be more cautious about using screen savers because it seems like there is no predicting which screens will ghost and which won't.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
That's what happens when you live on the bleeding edge of technology. :eek: (where I live most of the time :) ) Hopefully they will fix this by the time I need a new laptop :p

virginiaplain0

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
And this is why you should never be a first adopter. Although, I was a first adopter of the first iPad, and I didn't have any problems like this. The technology for retina computer screens still needs to be perfected though before I could ever buy a retina MacBook.

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
And this is the reason I do not buy first release anything from Apple any more. I lived through the iMac screen issues, battery on iPhone 4s issues, etc. I had the retina mac book pro in my checkout basket and decided to hold off. Glad I did.

the read

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
I'm massively disappointed with my retina MacBook pro. I maxed it out with additional Ram and processor as I intended to use this computer for 3 years.

I'm have an array of issues and will list them.

1- After logging in the screen goes black, only a hard reboot will bring the screen back. This happens every morning and it takes 2-3 times before I get to login succsessfully.
2- wifi constantly dropping. Dispute how close it is to the router
3- lack of built in Ethernet is Driving me nuts. I've gone through many adapters in the past 2 months. They all fail and the thunderbolt connector does not have a tight fit and cables break loose.
4- retina display is ghosting.
5- retina display produses a blurred image on high res settings.

All in, this has been the worst computer I've ever owned.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
...But even as Apple is replacing machines showing image persistence, the company has posted a new support document stating that the phenomenon is normal on the in-plane switching (IPS) displays used in the Retina MacBook Pro and other products...
Of course it's normal. They're tired of replacing defective displays! :rolleyes:

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
My 24" iMac from 2007 used to do it as well - pretty badly in fact, to the point where you could read the entire document I had opened for around 5 minutes.

Agreed. Way worse than anything I've seen from the rMBPs. However, this didn't start happening so soon after purchase for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.