Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
I am kinda of tired of those people who call us "perfectionist" or "nitpickers" or "OCD"

The problem is serious, and doesn't suit a quality product.

This is how it looks on mine. And oh. I use this machine to work, to make a living, not to scroll around on Facebook ;)

First picture shows my design program. Second picture shows what you see after 5 min. on a grey background.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-17 at 1.39.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-17 at 1.39.26 AM.png
    482.2 KB · Views: 534
  • IMG_0140.jpg
    IMG_0140.jpg
    704 KB · Views: 770

obender

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Just wanted add myself to the statistics, LG display, showed the signes of image retention after a month, first occurrence after reading a PDF doc for about 2 hours.

Funny side note, when I asked, at Apple Support forum, why there is no class action lawsuit for this issue yet, my posts were promptly removed. I guess that is expected though :)

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
LOL. The nerve of Samsung not being inferior!

You know if it was the other way around (i.e. Samsung displays have the problem) folks would have posted editorials on how it's a conspirarcy lol

----------

No ghosting on my side, but dead pixels (5 to be precise). Not going to say I'm disappointed, but I feel a little let down by a $2000 product

You should be disappointed, and you should demand an exchange. A big portion of what you paid is for the quality of the product, and honestly, you shouldn't settle for anything inferior.

ppilone

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2008
Not sure what's with all the "this is what happens when you buy Rev A products". If people didn't buy Rev A products there wouldn't be Rev B products for you, those we are so brilliant for waiting, to buy.

I'm on my 2nd rMBP and this one is ghosting worse than the first. Both LG panels. Others at work have Samsung panels and aren't seeing this problem. Save for the ghosting, I love the machine.

daveheinzel

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
No issues at all with mine. But I can't say anything other than UI stays on the screen for 10 solid minutes. I have too much work to do. And I'm happy to be an early adaptor in this case - it's easily the best computing experience I've ever had.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
You now actually need to use screen savers again? Who-hoo - back to the 90's... Now, where did I put that floppy disc with the flying toasters on again?

I do think it is good idea to use screen saver to prevent ghosting on the new displays. But why should screen saver be related to 90s or old time? It is a means of protection which is needed by some technologies, but not the others.

Not Bill Gates

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
i get this on my iPad; tho now i dont remember which generation since i have 2 and 3 sitting around.

id figured it was normal since my plasma does it as well, despite different technologies.

anybody know if its normal or not normal on ipads?

No it is not normal for an LCD screen to do that. That is one of the main advantages of LCD over Plasma screens. Being that these laptops are the first retina display laptops on the market, they may have some quarks to them. Then again if these were windows laptops with retina displays they would most likely run into the same problem or perhaps even worse. At least apple is willing to replace these computers. Some PC companies aren't as willing to help.

euvnairb

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Goleta, CA
Anyone can bash Samsung as much as they want, but there's no denying they are the best component supplier (in terms of quality) for Apple. I believe Sammy's SSD's are superior in performance as well when compared to Toshiba.

max pl

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
is image persistence the word apple requires their genius' to use instead of image retention?

where did macrumors come up with this new slang?

Dronac

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
No ghosting here, Samsung display.

Go ... Samsung?

I wish the Apple/Samsung fighting would end. Samsung is up there with Apple in terms of good products as far as I'm concerned. Design, not so much maybe (design is subjective), but I typically go for Samsung products first when I;m looking for general media hardware. Imagine the glory of a Samsung TV in a shell designed by Apple running a new version of Apple TV.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
I'm glad MacRumors has posted followup about this. Apple is doing nothing about it. Everyone else in the media just dropped it, despite the thread on Apple's support forums growing the whole time – now 200+ pages! I don't even think an Apple rep has responded there (I stopped checking regularly after about 110 pages).

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
This is not normal for an tips display. I have owned I pads, iPhones, MacBook pros, imacs and none of them have had this issue and all have tips displays. If I spent 2 grand on a laptop you bet I would be returning it to if it was ghosting. My imac has yellow tint in the corner but it doesn't bug me since it is only really visible on the apple boot screen but this would annoy me if visible during daily work

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
I need a new computer and I really do want one of these--I was hoping that the discussions on this would die down--meaning there were not so many complaints. But the Apple forum discussion continues--I have read about everything I can on this and am at the point where it seems the only way to know for sure is to get one and see what happens. I am probably going to wait until Amazon gets them in stock again and try my luck there.

Criscoso

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2010
Welcome to the new Apple!! Profit profit profit.

It's defective? Many users complaining?
Just say it's a normal behaviour.

It's clear that they are betting for the phone and tablet market.
Apple computers are a minor business for them, Servers are out, MacBook Pro 17 is out, next one Mac Pro. Professionals (those who one day were almost the only customers) are been left behind, and I don't think this is going to end well for Apple, as Android is beating hard.

A shame.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.