Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
My iPad 2 does that. Chrome and Tweetbot usually the "culprit" since they have static interface elements and when I quit, I can still see those parts for a minute or two. Then again, I didn't pay $2600 for the iPad and I don't use it for anything serious so not too bothered with it. Retina MBP on the other hand sucked with IR. Switch from one Eclipse view to another? For the next 10 minutes you can still enjoy both views!!

Honestly, if it were a brand new iPad 2 that I paid for, I'd say I'd be upset. No, it's not as expensive as a rMBP but it's still pretty pricey (or was when it was bought, this is a 64GB one that my mom passed down to me).

I'm still a bit upset but since it's out of warranty and it was something handed down to me I got over it pretty quickly (that and it wasn't permenant damage. I'd be really bummed if it was permenant. I freaked out at first and calmed down when I realized it eventually went away, just kinda worried that it might not do that one day).

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
The fanboys will predictably say this is no big deal and move on...but it is a big deal...it is a very expensive machine sold on the basis that it has an exceptional display....one day the fanboys will see the emperor has no clothes !!!

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I'm massively disappointed with my retina MacBook pro. I maxed it out with additional Ram and processor as I intended to use this computer for 3 years.

I'm have an array of issues and will list them.

1- After logging in the screen goes black, only a hard reboot will bring the screen back. This happens every morning and it takes 2-3 times before I get to login succsessfully.
2- wifi constantly dropping. Dispute how close it is to the router
3- lack of built in Ethernet is Driving me nuts. I've gone through many adapters in the past 2 months. They all fail and the thunderbolt connector does not have a tight fit and cables break loose.
4- retina display is ghosting.
5- retina display produses a blurred image on high res settings.

All in, this has been the worst computer I've ever owned.

I really like my rMBP. Still, apparently it has the ghosting issue using an LG screen (I ran the test, I didn't notice it otherwise) . And yes, some of the display settings are screwed up on hi-res.

But what is infuriating is that the wifi is constantly dropping - like every minute. This doesn't happen on netflix and downloads though, so I think it's a software issue conflict with the browsers because I am constantly reloading on Safari or Chrome (man, Chrome makes the machine roast).

Absurd that they can't hold a signal in a machine like this.

And worse, I don't want to trade it in because of the hassle and the likelihood that I'll end up with something worse.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
Now that Apple says it's normal and expected, hopefully people will stop complaining incessantly.

Haha.

I can accept Apple's claim that all IPS displays have some degree of image persistence. I've specifically used IPS displays for ~8 years and I see it in all of them. The difference is in how long it takes to develop.

I'm not complaining because my display shows a problem with one particular test case. I'm not complaining if I leave my display on for 20 minutes, walk away, came back, and notice it. I complain because I see it more in day to day use than any other IPS displays, because I just happened to lose the Samsung / LG panel lottery.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
If you have an issue take it back. My iMac had an extremely loud hard drive that support said was "normal". I looked online and it appeared that only one manufacturer had the loud HDD. I took back 3 iMacs until I got one with the quiet drive.

jk111

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Just got the rMBP the other day. LG panel here and by the time I was on page 5 of this thread I could easily see ghosting on my panel.

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Wait, so Samsung panels are losing pixels?

No contest, ghosting is better than dead pixels.

You see two users complaining about it and all of a sudden samsung panels are losing pixels? There is such a thing as a defective unit/batch.

These places are mental!

agenda893

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2004
I got mine at launch and luckily got the samsung panel. Now if adobe could update Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign to support the new resolutions. Thankfully Retinizer fixed word and excel for me - since that looks like the wait with M$ will be even longer than Adobe.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
I called apple care last week about this. The rep told me it was normal and that I should shut the screen off when it starts to happen. Very annoying for working with graphics, which is the entire reason I bought the machine.

This is my first time getting apple care, and I'm not impressed.

Just ran the little command line test, and yes, I have a LG display. :(

Call them again, and again, and again. If they refuse, you can always get in touch with executive relations like I did and have a nice person call you to sort everything out.

Send a constructive email to tcook@apple.com and your issue will be sorted in no time.

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
"This is normal", "You're seeing it wrong".
It is also normal that a new model IPS screen will be released for rMBP v2 that "revolutionarily" fixes all manner of ghosting. Wow! Spin zone. Yes there is Image ghosting in IPS panels but it usually crops up after hundreds of hours of use like a 2006 Cinema display or something. Unless an LED backlight makes it significantly worse as all my IPS displays have been CCFL.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Wait, so Samsung panels are losing pixels?

No contest, ghosting is better than dead pixels.

LG image retention issues have hundreds of users complaining in different forums. I never heard about Samsung panels losing pixels until now and a Google search shows only very little on it so I doubt it's a problem as widespread as the LG image retention.

Last edited:

GJBenn85

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Please, this isn't normal. I have dozens of LCDs (LG, Samsung, ASUS) in service and not a single one has ghosting.

For those defending Apple and calling people complaining of the ghosting as perfectionists, I somehow bet you would be the first to criticize another company for this problem.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
That's ridiculous. This shouldn't happen for something so extremely overpriced.

I agree, glad I sent mine back.

By next year I'm confident that Apple will likely have it sorted out.

At least that's what I've learned from past experience with version 1.0 Apple laptops. Second generation is usually the one to have.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
...but three months later users are still complaining about the issue.

Translation: I didn't really notice it nor would it bother me until I read about it here on the forums. :D

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
You see two users complaining about it and all of a sudden samsung panels are losing pixels? There is such a thing as a defective unit/batch.

These places are mental!

What's mental is that my rMBP can't hold a signal long enough to get your dickish post without reloading the page a couple times.

It was a worthwhile question - apparently I and the other poster have at least two irritating problems on our new machines.

----------

LG image retention issues have hundreds of users complaining in different forums. I never heard about Samsung panels losing pixels until now and a Google search shows only very little on it so I doubt is a problem as wispread as the LG image retention.

Thank you!

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I'm hoping by the time the 2nd gen model I've been waiting for comes out, iOS software will have advanced, and my expectations will have lowered, sufficiently that I'll be able to just do everything on the iPad and not need a full system anymore.

Naaaaak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2010
I reviewed the marketing text. They have their bases covered.

You've never seen anything like it. Because there's never been anything like it.
Correct, I've never seen something with image persistence like this. Apple's also never shipped a product with bipolar displays before, so there's never been anything like it.

...our most jaw-dropping Retina display yet.
Your jaw will drop when you Exposé to Desktop after a few minutes and see what you were working on.

…see more of your high-resolution images onscreen…
They should amend, "and see them always on LG panels."

This is RetinaGate. The only difference is that Apple won't hold a town hall meeting to explain that we're looking at it wrong. And someone won't be fired over it. In fact, no Apple employee will even bother responding to the 210+ page thread about it on their own site.

longtimelurker

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
SW US
screen saver now needed?

I wish I had that old Bill Gates window washing screen saver from what-was-it twenty-five+ years ago?
Anyone else remember that one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.