Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
In January 2003, the iMac G3 will no longer be available through Apple's Online store, nor through Apple Retail.

http://www.spymac.com/

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
three words: fi-na-lly

actually i have been a proponent of apple keeping them, as many users point out the G3 is still a really nice processor... but everything has it's time, and the G3 has been around for frickin' ever. plus, this could be a definite indication of good things to come from Apple soon...

and i'll toss in the obligatory "we don't trust spymac" comment to get it out of the way...

:)
pnw

RogueLdr

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
I know that the "Classic" iMac has run its course, but I must say that I'll be sorry to see it go. It ushered in a new enthusiasm for Apple engineering and brought the company back to the innovative design that started it all.

RL

SilvorX

macrumors 68000
May 24, 2002
'Toba, Canada
Originally posted by RogueLdr
I know that the "Classic" iMac has run its course, but I must say that I'll be sorry to see it go. It ushered in a new enthusiasm for Apple engineering and brought the company back to the innovative design that started it all.

RL
i kno :(, n the cost of it made it really affordable for schools...the emac is affordable but not affordable enough (compared to the classic imac)
any of u think that they would bring out the emac in different colors?

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Kill them off and bring down the cost of the eMac

Apple needs a really low-cost EDU computer. I know that they've introduced the eMac, but the cost is still a little high.

Are eMac's selling to schools right now? Seriously... how well have these sold compared to say, the iMac classic?

Also, iApps are great, but what is Apple doing to assist in the production of education software? Apple should have a team of programmers that creates and assists in the creation of "eApps".

biw314

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
Vermont
I've had a 600 mhz G3 for a year now(I tend to run at least a few years behind) and I love it. It runs os X flawlessly, runs all my apps well. I've heard some people say that some G3s run os X better than some G4s. It would be a truly wonderful $500 computer.

Mike Ball

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2001
I agree if only they would have a team of engineers creating educational software. In the UK, in the county I live in, we are actively discouraged from buying macs. This is based on the troubles pre imac. With the advent of OS X it's even more difficult to justify. We've all gone windows and there's no way were going to buy anything different now!!. So little curriculum software that is used has a mac port even the venerable apple works doesn't have UK specific clip art.
Education software takes even longer to change over than commercial software, the chances are we will wait another few years for something like Lego Robolab software to go OS X. There is one excellent exception in Clicker that has already gone OS X but it is an exception. There is one key programme that is used in all primary schools in the UK that didn't even make it to OS 9 and that's a programme called Junior Pinpoint, a database programme that allow you to create questionnaires. Also I wish the ipod allowed you to use an external microphone to record. It would be so useful to record children singing, reciting poems etc and then be able to put them on websites. It seems to be so short sighted of them not to include this facility. Most Sony minidisc type thing aren't compatible with macs.

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
if they could put an 800MHz G3 Sahara in there and kept the price the same, they'd sell like... umm, something that sells quickly.

The point is, they should keep Classic iMac, but offer it in the following configs:

600MHz G3
256K L2 Cache
ATi Rage Graphics
128MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive
CD-ROM
$599

800MHz G3
512K L2 Cache
GeForce2MX
256MB RAM
40GB Hard Drive
CD-RW
$799

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.