Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
well i am at work and i have a man round my house installing a 42" Hitachi plasma screen with a Hardon Kardon surround sound

anyway

you all know what i want to do with it ! POWERBOOK to PLASMA

DVI on PowerBook and DVI on Plasma

what do i need to know ? what sort of screen res can i get ?

Pictures will be posted when i get it working

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
liketom said:
well i am at work and i have a man round my house installing a 42" Hitachi plasma screen with a Hardon Kardon surround sound

anyway

you all know what i want to do with it ! POWERBOOK to PLASMA

DVI on PowerBook and DVI on Plasma

what do i need to know ? what sort of screen res can i get ?

Pictures will be posted when i get it working
It'll probably let you go to 1920 x 1080, but there's not a 1920 x 1080 native plasma on the planet. I'd suggest 1280 x 720, especially if it's a 1024 x 768 w/ stretched pixels plasma display. It might also suggest a 13something by something else mode, which could be its native res, depending on the quality of the display.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
It should look pretty awesome on there. I've tried my 12" Powerbook on a Plasma screen w/ the DVI port and it was impressive :)

To get it to work, just plug in, and you may have to hit the "Fn" + "F7" keys on your keyboard at the same time to mirror the image. That's it!

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Cless said:
It'll probably let you go to 1920 x 1080, but there's not a 1920 x 1080 native plasma on the planet. I'd suggest 1280 x 720, especially if it's a 1024 x 768 w/ stretched pixels plasma display. It might also suggest a 13something by something else mode, which could be its native res, depending on the quality of the display.
Good will try that

does Mac OS X look good on a Plasma ? or does it look out of this world lol

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
MattG said:
It should look pretty awesome on there. I've tried my 12" Powerbook on a Plasma screen w/ the DVI port and it was impressive :)

To get it to work, just plug in, and you may have to hit the "Fn" + "F7" keys on your keyboard at the same time to mirror the image. That's it!
i would of got stuck on the Fn+F7 keys aswell lol

thanks for the tip

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
liketom said:
what do i need to know ? what sort of screen res can i get?
I really think it will just be plug-n-play, though, it will probably take some time to find the proper resolution (unstretched). Either way, it will no doubt be impressive.

I can't wait to see the pictures!

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
just phoned home and the Plasma is mounted on the wall and the chap is setting up my surround sound -

i asked the mrs what it looks like and she just said BIG lol

but as always women are not really intrested in TV's lol

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I have been wondering about this awesome. My dad is obsessed with getting a plasma, and when I heard that the one he was looking at had DVI ports, my eyes lit up. Thanks for the info fellas, I will definately be trying this as soon as the TV gets installed in the living room...

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
ok Plasma is all in and looking stunning -

but i got all giddy with the thought of mac os being on the screen i seemed to overlook the fact i have not got a DVI cable - oops

so i'm off to the shops today in my lunch hour to buy the longest DVI cable i can afford so Pictures tonight

:)

Applespider

macrumors G4
John Lewis in Oxford St had a Mac Mini running OS X and iTunes on a 42" plasma... but they obviously hadn't spent any time tweaking it or figuring out the best resolution. I nearly caused a pile up at the top of the escalator when I spotted it and had to reverse...

liketom

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Here it is

well after lots of issues with my surrond sound not being wired proper i have finally got some shots of the little beast !!

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Cless said:
Not the right one, judging by those photos. Ew! Get the correct screen shape, please! It's all stretched.
I'd say that he's got it set on 1024x768 since that's the native resolution for all 42" HDTV plasmas on the market right now, with the exception of the ALiS interlaced panels. Although many Hitachis have the ALiS panels.

Anyways, liketom could try using SwitchResX or DisplayConfigX to get a better resolution, such as 1280x720 (aka 720p) or 1280x768. The plasma should be able to take that resolution and scale it. The text may be a little fuzzy (since the pixels are rectangular), but it'll be usable.

If it does turn out to be an ALiS panel, I don't know what your options are.

Gokhan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2003
London
k

one day ! one damn day i will be able to afford that set up !
thats what i keep telling myself anyway but thats looks stunning geezer
now to rob a bank ;)

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
ftaok said:
I'd say that he's got it set on 1024x768 since that's the native resolution for all 42" HDTV plasmas on the market right now, with the exception of the ALiS interlaced panels. Although many Hitachis have the ALiS panels.

I'm not disputing that native resolution, but what would possess a manufacturer to produce an HDTV display that does not support the HD aspect ratio: 16:9 (or 1.78:1)? 1024x768 is only 4:3 (or 1.33:1).

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
dejo said:
I'm not disputing that native resolution, but what would possess a manufacturer to produce an HDTV display that does not support the HD aspect ratio: 16:9 (or 1.78:1)? 1024x768 is only 4:3 (or 1.33:1).
The reason that plasma manufacturers make screens with 1024x768 resolutions is that they don't have the ability to create pixels that small in the Horizontal direction. So what they do is make the pixel rectangular. The human eye can't resolve detail in the horizontal as well as it can in the vertical direction. That's why even with the rectangular pixels, HD on 16:9 1024x768 screens look great.

Right now, only 50" plasmas use square pixels in a 16:9ish ratio. Usually, 50" screens are built at 1280x768 or 1366x768.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
GanChan said:
Isn't there a pretty significant risk of burned-in images with plasma?
That pretty much is a thing of the past. The manufacturers have gotten so good with different manufacturing and operating techniques, that you really don't have to worry too much about burn in.

What you do have to do is keep the brightness and contrast down during the 1st 1000 hours of use. You also don't want to have the letterbox (or pillarbox) bars on for an extended period of time during the break-in period. Another thing you don't want to do is leave a static image on the screen for too long, which is exactly what a computer might do. So if I were to use a Mac with a plasma, I would set the screen saver to come on after a minute or so. I would also use a screen saver that changed the screen often (probably a picture slide show). And I wouldn't use an application on too long, otherwise the menu bar might cause problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.