Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1Azhar

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Lame

That's so lame coming from Apple. I have this issue on my iPad2. It's quite an issue after using apps like 1Password, because the entries remain apparent even after leaving the app.
I'd rather have a great display with no IPS (my iMac 2008 has no IPS, and it's excellent), than having one with IPS AND the ghosting effect.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
I wish the Apple/Samsung fighting would end. Samsung is up there with Apple in terms of good products as far as I'm concerned. Design, not so much maybe (design is subjective), but I typically go for Samsung products first when I;m looking for general media hardware. Imagine the glory of a Samsung TV in a shell designed by Apple running a new version of Apple TV.

+1. It is unfortunate that Apple has cut back on its purchases from Samsung. I also prefer their media products.

IIRC, past LG screens have had a yellow hue while screens made by other suppliers had a blue hue. Is this not simply a matter of the characteristics inherent in the screen made by a manufacturer?

Even still, Samsung appears to be a better supplier both for screens (no ghosting or yellowing vs LG) and for storage (faster than Toshiba).

terrymr

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2006
I've had some Lenovo laptops with pretty nasty ghosting on them - they only way to clear it on those was to power off the computer / display.

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
If Apple does not see this as a problem what makes you think they are going to try to correct it for the next revision?

People waiting for the next rmbp are going to be seriously disappointed.

I have an LG with very very slight ghosting only visible on a dark gray background. Here's a secret I do to not notice it. I switched the background to a different color... Amazing right?

Apple may be denying the problem publicly, but that does not mean that there are no behind-the-scenes discussions about the problem with LG, especially if it is true that Apple will be contracting with LG for IGZO displays for the upcoming iPad revision.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Guys, there is no such thing as "ghosting" or "image retention".

What you are seeing here, is commonly known as the 'Tim Cook Effect'.

Imagine if Apple made cars. You'd buy it from your nearest store, then crash on the way home due to one wheel being smaller than the rest.

But dont worry, it had 4 wheels so was "within spec".

sammy2066

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Got a Week 25 rMBP - LG panel. No ghosting.

I'm sure if I really try and find instances of ghosting, I will find them. So I'm not going to look. I suggest others do this as well and move on with their lives.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I just called Apple to ask if they are replacing Retina MacBook Pros with ghosting/burn in problems and the guy had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. He had never heard of display burn in and suggested I go to an Apple store to get the computer checked out. I have no problem doing that it's just I feel like it's hard to prove to them in the store since you have to let it sit with a window open for like 10 minutes. How are other people getting them replaced?

1siklex

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
I actually had my rMBP replaced by Apple yesterday for this very issue. My new one is starting to have it also. Both LG screens. I'll wait for it to get worse and take it in to get it replaced. None of my other computers do it! For a $2500 computer, it's really unacceptable.

rrahimi

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Got a Week 25 rMBP - LG panel. No ghosting.

I'm sure if I really try and find instances of ghosting, I will find them. So I'm not going to look. I suggest others do this as well and move on with their lives.

Yes, quite a few people used to be happy with their Image Retention, until it got worse. If you have time go read the 200 pages on Apple forums.

I suggest if anyone is within their 14 days go for a replacement, hope for a Samsung. Not only retention will accelerate and get quite annoying, as the issue becomes better known your resale value drops significantly.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Just wanted add myself to the statistics, LG display, showed the signes of image retention after a month, first occurrence after reading a PDF doc for about 2 hours.

Funny side note, when I asked, at Apple Support forum, why there is no class action lawsuit for this issue yet, my posts were promptly removed. I guess that is expected though :)

:)

You weren't the first or the last ;)

(I've, as a regular there, auto-subscribing to several threads where I've posted to, seen several of even weaker criticism to be removed.)

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
What do you expect? It's a RETINA display. Stare at the four dots intensely for 30 seconds and then just look up at the ceiling.

jesus-optical-illusion.jpg

Burns right into your retina! :rolleyes:

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
That's so lame coming from Apple. I have this issue on my iPad2. It's quite an issue after using apps like 1Password, because the entries remain apparent even after leaving the app.
I'd rather have a great display with no IPS (my iMac 2008 has no IPS, and it's excellent), than having one with IPS AND the ghosting effect.

You'd rather have a non-defectve display than a defective display? How strange. :confused:

----------

Kind of funny since this was the original reason screen savers were invented. That's why they're called "Screen Savers". :eek:

CapnJackGig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2011
Never buy a first gen Apple product. Ever. They're always awful. Thanks to everyone beta testing the iPhone 5 for me.

master-ceo

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2007
The SUN
My iPad 1 and 3 does this. My iPad 2 doesnt. This is the reason why I do not want anything Retina anymore and stayed away from the Retina MacBook Pro.

My late 2007 MBP 15" Matte screen model is The best screen ever on a laptop.

Retina displays are hype. Stay away! I do like it on my iPhone 4 & 4s though.

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
I suppose this is another reason to be grateful that I went with a non-retina 15" over a retina model.

Except you have a vastly inferior product. ;)

----------

Never buy a first gen Apple product. Ever. They're always awful. Thanks to everyone beta testing the iPhone 5 for me.

I suppose the terrible screens on the 3rd gen iPad prove your theory correct?

/facepalm

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Yes, I have an iPad 2 with a little bit of ghosting, if I really look for it. Yawn...ZZZZ.

tom.

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Yes, quite a few people used to be happy with their Image Retention, until it got worse. If you have time go read the 200 pages on Apple forums.

I suggest if anyone is within their 14 days go for a replacement, hope for a Samsung. Not only retention will accelerate and get quite annoying, as the issue becomes better known your resale value drops significantly.

Like the iPhone 4 antenna ruined the resale of those? Your claims are completely unfounded. Nice to see you've spilled over from apple discussion forums just throw around your claims here too.

As much as this wont help get the message through to you, you are a very very very very minor fraction of rMBP users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.