Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

037496_larger.png

Now that the iPhone 5 has officially been announced, Apple is accepting iOS apps from developers that support both iOS 6 and the taller 4" screen of the iPhone 5.

A small and steady stream of 4" screen enabled apps are now making their way into the App Store.

Sister site AppShopper.com allows you to see a realtime list of these new iPhone 5 enabled apps using this "iPhone 5" search query. That url shows all recently updated iOS apps that mention "iPhone 5" in their What's New update description. There may be a few false positives, but the majority of apps listed are listing support for the new iPhone.

There are a relatively small number of updates so far, but the list will continue to grow as we approach the iPhone 5 launch on September 21st. Only a handful of games are compatible so far. These include Pangea Software's catalog including Enigmo 2 and Mojang's Minecraft - Pocket Edition.

Article Link: A Realtime List of iPhone 5 Enabled Apps in the App Store

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The first result for the query is wrong by the way.

It's not perfect. There are some false positives. It's just a string query. It would also match "This app does not support iPhone 5". :)

But, overall, it's pretty good.

arn

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
The appshopper iphone app doesn't show the same results as that link when searching.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The appshopper iphone app doesn't show the same results as that link when searching.

I don't think the app supports that particular ("What's new") query. sorry.

arn

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I'm primarily interested in which apps. support Passbook. Considering that Passbook is by far and away the closest thing we've yet seen to a full-scale "digital wallet" and this is something I've been craving for years, I'm hoping lots of developers (of products and services I consume of course) jump onboard!

Companies I'd like to see:

• Every movie theater chain
• Sports teams incl. MLB, GO ORIOLES!
• Every single store I have a plastic barcode loyalty card for, CVS, Walgreens, Super Fresh, Giant, Godiva, etc. etc.
• My health club which uses a barcode tag for entry
• Amtrak
• Airlines

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Over the course of several weeks.

Reminds me of apps that had to be updated to retina on the iPad. Some took months even. Some never.

I had to update my app for Retina support, and it was a lot more work than just the iPhone 5. There's a line that needs to be changed to support rotation, and a little bit of UI rework. Altogether, it's not so bad. Mine was submitted to Apple on Friday morning, and it currently awaiting review.

(My app is a fertility charting app with a limited market, so I didn't bother to mention it here.)

kuanyong

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
Hmm perhaps checking for the presence of Retina 4" screenshots might be a more reliable indicator of an app that has been updated for the iPhone 5?

We submitted an iPhone 5-ready update a few days ago and we couldn't complete the app submission process without supplying at least 1 Retina 4" screenshot (which we had to create using the iOS simulator since, well, we don't yet have the iPhone 5).

Last edited:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Hmm perhaps checking for the presence of Retina 4" screenshots might be a more reliable indicator of an app that has been updated for the iPhone 5?

Do you see 4" screens anywhere in the App Store?

arn

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
(My app is a fertility charting app with a limited market, so I didn't bother to mention it here.)

The dig about me not getting any these days, and thus not having to worry about a girlfriend's fertility cycle, was totally unnecessary. Thanks.

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
I'd like to know how these guys are already approved and live. We submitted on Friday and haven't even moved into review. Maybe they asked for an expedited review?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
"Crimson: Steam Pirates" still hasn't been updated to support Retina, and it's developed by Bungie. :confused:

Even though I bought it, I haven't played it yet because I'm holding out for the retina update that never comes...I should just play it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.