Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gozar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
I would appreciate thoughts and input on keeping or returning my 13 day old Mac Mini 2.5 with AMD Radeon and waiting for the next gen Ivy Bridge.
This is my first Mac, I will use it as my primary computer - browsing, email, light photo editing (iPhoto, maybe Aperature), light movie editing (iMovie), serving media (Plex, iTunes, etc but most of the files will be on a WHS server) to several AppleTVs, iPads, and iPhones. Being that Ethernet and wireless will be the primary conduit for media I do not see that USB3.0 will be a big benefit, please correct me if I am wrong.
I have a separate Windows gaming PC.

Since getting an iPad I only use a desktop a few times a week, other than gaming. I am looking forward to learning more about the Mac but only have 1 day left if I am to return it. The potential benefits of an Apple ecosystem is what drove me to pick one up.

What would you do?

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Take it back, I was told by a reliable source to wait to buy one.

Last edited:

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
You should just throw it in the trash - it will be absolutely worthless the moment a new mac mini is announced.

Even if a new mini comes out the day after your return period ends, will it make any real difference to you? USB 3 is probably the only thing that most people would notice in an update.

Is the possible inclusion of USB 3 worth wiping the data off your current mini, packing it all up, and taking it back to the store?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'd just keep it, it sounds like it does all you want. Maybe next year look at replacing it if your needs change.

I'd hate to go though the whole setup then take it back a few weeks later only having to do it all again.

Next year there will be yet another upgrade, I'm sure the 2011 will work find until then.

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
You don't sound like you'd benefit from newer model, hell majority of people only want USB3 and you state that it's not a big deal for you.

As for CPU, the new models won't be much more powerful, only very slightly which won't be noticeable in real world performance. Also you state that you use the computer only few days a week.

I think you should keep the current model because:
1. It does everything you need it to do
2. You don't gain any new big features by getting new model that would help you
3. Nobody knows when new Mac mini arrives, you could return your computer and it is possible that new ones are launched in 2013 in February/March
4. The hassle of reinstalling/getting new machine isn't worth it since you're such a light user.

If I were you, I'd keep the current model, and in another year or two sell it and buy whatever is on the market at that time that fills your needs, be it newer mini, iMac, regular PC, etc.

Gozar

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Austin, TX
You should just throw it in the trash - it will be absolutely worthless the moment a new mac mini is announced.

I would have to buy a much bigger trash can if I applied this to all the shiny objects that distract me! :D

I will keep it, it took me a few months to pull the trigger wondering when and if a new Mini would be released. I do think it will do exactly what I need it to. I did not buy it with the intention of returning it, just began to question my thinking, and for me sometimes the hunt is greater than the prize......
I am going to enjoy and not look back, at some point in the future maybe it becomes a headless server or gets handed down to my daughter.

Thanks everyone!

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
Without being specific, don't buy now, wait.

you need to elaborate on this, no one is going to know that you said this no one meaning apple you wont be held accountable for anything, we have been hearing wait since feb, wait means nothing at this point it could be tomorro or it could be next year again please elaborate on this

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
you need to elaborate on this, no one is going to know that you said this no one meaning apple you wont be held accountable for anything, we have been hearing wait since feb, wait means nothing at this point it could be tomorro or it could be next year again please elaborate on this

He means that you should wait in a general sense, not specifically.

Bunyak

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2011
I was in an Apple Store yesterday to get something fixed. I mentioned off-hand to a Genius that the Mini hasn't been updated for a long time now. He told me that he hasn't heard anything about new Minis - not even any rumors.

chuckd83

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I was in an Apple Store yesterday to get something fixed. I mentioned off-hand to a Genius that the Mini hasn't been updated for a long time now. He told me that he hasn't heard anything about new Minis - not even any rumors.

k, thanks.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010

they dont know jack, asking a genius is just like asking someone random in the street i went the day before the sep 12 event and i asked one them so what do you spect to see on tomorrows event? he reply what event ?? like someone here said they are monkeys fallowing orders nothing more.

----------

He means that you should wait in a general sense, not specifically.

he said he had a source though

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I would have to buy a much bigger trash can if I applied this to all the shiny objects that distract me! :D

I will keep it, it took me a few months to pull the trigger wondering when and if a new Mini would be released. I do think it will do exactly what I need it to. I did not buy it with the intention of returning it, just began to question my thinking, and for me sometimes the hunt is greater than the prize......
I am going to enjoy and not look back, at some point in the future maybe it becomes a headless server or gets handed down to my daughter.

Thanks everyone!

I know what you mean. My Apple online store cart is always full, despite the fact I have no real intention of buying (immediately). :D

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK

Thanks everyone!

What you need to think of for yourself is whether you would have any regret. If an updated mini came along in a month, for example, with the higher spec bump, would you regret having not waited a while longer, or would you be happy with what you have and not be too bothered?
Only you can answer that question. If its the latter then use it and enjoy!
Personally I know I would regret not waiting a while longer as I'm in no rush to purchase now, so I'm holding out for now!

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Even if someone does know something, they aren't allowed to tell anyone or they risk being fired. Am I wrong?

At any rate, just give me a new Mini before this year ends.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I would appreciate thoughts and input on keeping or returning my 13 day old Mac Mini 2.5 with AMD Radeon and waiting for the next gen Ivy Bridge.
This is my first Mac, I will use it as my primary computer - browsing, email, light photo editing (iPhoto, maybe Aperature), light movie editing (iMovie), serving media (Plex, iTunes, etc but most of the files will be on a WHS server) to several AppleTVs, iPads, and iPhones. Being that Ethernet and wireless will be the primary conduit for media I do not see that USB3.0 will be a big benefit, please correct me if I am wrong.
I have a separate Windows gaming PC.

Since getting an iPad I only use a desktop a few times a week, other than gaming. I am looking forward to learning more about the Mac but only have 1 day left if I am to return it. The potential benefits of an Apple ecosystem is what drove me to pick one up.

What would you do?

I wouldn't worry about Ivy Bridge. The longer Apple waits to refresh the iMacs and Mac minis, the more likely they will skip using Ivy Bridge in them and just wait until Haswell. Even if they do update the mini and/or iMac to Ivy Bridge, the difference isn't so much so that you'll have buyer's remorse. That's not to say that Ivy Bridge is nothing over Sandy Bridge, but it's the type of bump that most review sites will say something like "if you have the previous version, you won't feel the need to upgrade; but if you have an older machine, you'll love this upgrade". I feel like that applies here. You won't regret keeping it, but if this is a serious purchase for you, then you should return it. Otherwise, don't sweat keeping it.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011

Guys, all I can say is, last Friday night, I had dinner with an Apple employee who knows release dates, and I told him I was going to buy a Mini. He wouldn't give me a specific date, but he said wait, which I took as a release sometime in October. This is a reliable source.

sam.dg

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
Guys, all I can say is, last Friday night, I had dinner with an Apple employee who knows release dates, and I told him I was going to buy a Mini. He wouldn't give me a specific date, but he said wait, which I took as a release sometime in October. This is a reliable source.

The wait could either be for a price-drop, or a new release! :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.