Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamthekiller

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
You fools really are wasting money on these outrageous warranties. Most home owner's and renter's insurance policies already cover damage/theft to your phone.

If you own a home or rent and don't have home owner's or renter's insurance, then you're an even bigger fool.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Very good thread. Lots of important information in here.
I've been using square trade for last three years, two times for iphones, and one for ipad. Never had to use them.. none of my devices got damaged.

Anyways, its always good to have a backup plan such as AC+ or ST.
I understand the pros and the cons of AC+, the only thing i liked about square trade is, lost and stolen replacement for the phones. I believe people are more prone to loosing their phones than getting them damaged. However currently i am tilting towards AC+ this time... and might go with them.

Square Trade doesn't offer lost/stolen replacement.
http://squaretrade.force.com/support/faqArticles/what-dont-you-cover

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
I don't think AC+ covers lost or stolen either. Couldn't find anything on it on their site.

You fools really are wasting money on these outrageous warranties. Most home owner's and renter's insurance policies already cover damage/theft to your phone.

If you own a home or rent and don't have home owner's or renter's insurance, then you're an even bigger fool.

That's so ignorant. You're so accusing yet haven't don't your own research to know that many renters and home insurances will not cover personal devices such as mobile phones, tablets, and laptops.

$100 for 2 years of insurance isn't in the least a waste of money. It's a risk assessment for every person.

jason2811

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2006
If you don't have AppleCare+ is the replacement always $200 regardless of phone capacity? To replace a 16GB or a 64GB would be the same price of $200?

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
This has probably been asked loads of times, but I cant see apple care + ?? I can see apple care, but not the + bit??

I have home insurance, and my phone is covered on that, so dont really see the need to have the apple care too, as i usually sell my phone after a year...

I'm in the UK, so thats probable one of the reasons?
Jordan

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here

I have renters insurance but they do not cover smartphones, so AppleCare + will be my choice.

One more thing iamthekiller.... Best to have insurance and not need it, than to need it and not have it. And stop calling people fools. :(

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
This has probably been asked loads of times, but I cant see apple care + ?? I can see apple care, but not the + bit??

I have home insurance, and my phone is covered on that, so dont really see the need to have the apple care too, as i usually sell my phone after a year...

Jordan

Yeah, sorry mate. All this info. is based from my research here in the States. I haven't the faintest idea about warranty policies across the pond.

nicknicknickh

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011

Jordan

Sorry, you guys dont have access to AppleCare+ in the UK :(

appswipe

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2012
Anyone have the Citibank Forward card? It offers free cell phone coverage if you pay your cell bill on it but I never heard anyone talk about it.

It's aimed at College aged users so it also offers 5% rewards points on categories like Movies, Music, Books and Restaurants (including Fast Food) so its pretty impressive. Especially since Amazon is categorized as a bookstore so thats 5% off all non-marketplace items.

Cellular Telephone Protection
If you pay your monthly cell phone bills with your Citi® credit card and your cell phone is damaged or stolen, you have supplemental insurance coverage that reimburses you for a replacement phone.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Citi bank:
Visa Cellular Telephone Protection is supplemental reimbursement and is underwritten by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America. Certain conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply. Coverage is subject to a maximum reimbursement amount of $250 in excess of the $50 co-payment you are required to pay. Details of coverage will be provided upon cardmembership.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Anyone have the Citibank Forward card? It offers free cell phone coverage if you pay your cell bill on it but I never heard anyone talk about it.

It's aimed at College aged users so it also offers 5% rewards points on categories like Movies, Music, Books and Restaurants (including Fast Food) so its pretty impressive. Especially since Amazon is categorized as a bookstore so thats 5% off all non-marketplace items.

Citi bank:
Visa Cellular Telephone Protection is supplemental reimbursement and is underwritten by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America. Certain conditions, restrictions and exclusions apply. Coverage is subject to a maximum reimbursement amount of $250 in excess of the $50 co-payment you are required to pay. Details of coverage will be provided upon cardmembership.

Sounds like too many "if's," "and's," or "but's" to me. I'm sure the CC would find some way to screw you over. Or it would take 6-8 weeks to process or something.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
I bought AppleCare+. But!!! It doesn't cover water damage. Also Squaretrade less expensive with 35 dollars off on facebook.com. Also I can cancel squaretrade any time and get my money back. Also I can fix my phone 4 times instead of 2 times. SquareTrade has a lot positive reviews and I call Allpe and cancel Apple Care and will order Square trade.

I don't work for SquareTrade or Apple.

nosnhojm

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
I bought AppleCare+. But!!! It doesn't cover water damage. Also Squaretrade less expensive with 35 dollars off on facebook.com. Also I can cancel squaretrade any time and get my money back. Also I can fix my phone 4 times instead of 2 times. SquareTrade has a lot positive reviews and I call Allpe and cancel Apple Care and will order Square trade.

From the AppleCare+ terms and condictions:

ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g., drops and liquid contact) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered iPhone as intended for such Covered iPhone.

So I believe it does cover water damage.

mslederer

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
I read a suggestion on Gotta be Mobile News and Reviews of using Protect Your Bubble for insurance. Anyone know of it? Covers damage and loss. $8/month or $144/2years. 10% discount for multiple devices. $120 deductible. 2 claims / 12 months.

I know it's more expensive than AC+ and ST but I'm looking for something that covers loss also. Any feedback on PYB?

http://us.protectyourbubble.com/

AppFanGirl

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Is there a $50 co-pay for defective hardware?

If I buy AppleCare+ and have issues with the home button, battery, etc, will there be a $50 charge to replace the unit? Or is the $50 co-pay just for accidental damage claims?

This may change my decision, if the $99 for AppleCare+ covers 100% hardware issues without additional cost. I currently have the iPH4 with the dreaded home button intermittent issues. If I could have it resolved, with no cost in year 2, I would be thrilled (if I had purchased AC+)!! So, it makes me consider AC+ for the iPH5...

TableSyrup

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2012
Adding to Renters or Homeowners insurance? Are you kidding?

So, what... you make 1 Claim... over a $200+ phone (Outright refurb), for what deductible?

And then, they up your rates for 3 years?
And if there is a second claim in that period they can drop you, and any other insurance company would then rape you...

Fail

Shoot, I ate $3000 in stolen good cause of this... wouldn't have made sense against my homeowners insurance over 3 years... god forbid something serious should come up

And, as far as renters or homeowners covering lost/stolen...
not unless it happens INSIDE your home or on your property.
They wouldn't cover it if it didn't happen there.
For that, you would need an Inland Marine policy.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

"Doesn't cover water damage..."
That is incorrect. It does cover water and most other types of accidental damage.

"AC+ can't be cancelled..."
Also, incorrect. One can also cancel AC+ at any time for a refund.

2 claims versus 4 claims was the tipping point for me.

PLEASE be more careful & get your facts straight before posting to avoid the proliferation of misinformation.

----------

If I buy AppleCare+ and have issues with the home button, battery, etc, will there be a $50 charge to replace the unit? Or is the $50 co-pay just for accidental damage claims?....

The co-pay is for accidental damage. Other hardware issues will be repaired/replaced without charge at the discretion of Apple's Geniuses.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
I read a suggestion on Gotta be Mobile News and Reviews of using Protect Your Bubble for insurance. Anyone know of it? Covers damage and loss. $8/month or $144/2years. 10% discount for multiple devices. $120 deductible. 2 claims / 12 months.

I know it's more expensive than AC+ and ST but I'm looking for something that covers loss also. Any feedback on PYB?

http://us.protectyourbubble.com/

Read this and other reviews by doing a Google Search on them

http://www.metareviews.co.uk/protect-your-bubble-review/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.