Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottyee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Like countless others here, I pre-ordered my iPhone 5 on Sept 14th (with Sep 21 delivery date), but have to admit,
it was initially a difficult decision choosing it vs its' current chief competitor, the Samsung Galaxy S3.
especially when, at least on paper, a feature by feature comparison shows the Samsung Galaxy S3's got more features, impressive specs (some better than the iPhone 5), and costs significantly less.

Nonetheless, as a not totally satsified 2 year HTC Droid Incredible (Android phone) owner who feels the Droid Incredible's Android OS rather clunky & awkward to use, and because I also own an iPad 3 (love it a lot), and an iPod Touch too, I decided to now consolidate all my mobile devices under one "Apple" iOS roof, as I already own a huge collection of Apple Apps (both purchased and free) as well as a vast iTunes organized (including playlists) music library which will make migrating to the iPhone 5 far quicker & smoother than to an Android phone. There's definitely something more intuitive to iOS's elegant simplicity and ease of use and navigation.

I'm curious to hear the reasons others here chose to upgrade to the iPhone 5 vs a Samsung Galaxy S3, or any other phone, especially after reading the bashing of the iPhone 5 coming from the latest Samsung Galaxy S3 ad (see below). I'm of course interested in hearing from people who have upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy or another phone instead. :)

819846186.jpeg

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I chose iphone because I've had a Galaxy Note for the past 8 months and I realized I'm just not an Android guy. I wanted an Android because of the freedom but I really like iOS way better. And i never really took advantage of any of the extra stuff Android can do after the first few months of playing with it.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
As much as I support Android, the Galaxy S3 is not as high quality as the iPhone 5. Samsung is taking a very wrong-headed direction with their phones as of late, mostly due to the Apple litigation.

They need to make metal or polycarbonate phones in a rounded rectangular shape that look clean and professional. There's just no other way about it.

I would love a polycarbonate Galaxy Nexus with a great battery and the new Exynos and other internals. That would be better than the iPhone 5 anyday.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012

It's not cheap plastic. Bend your back plate and see what happens Brah.

----------

As much as I support Android, the Galaxy S3 is not as high quality as the iPhone 5. Samsung is taking a very wrong-headed direction with their phones as of late, mostly due to the Apple litigation.

They need to make metal or polycarbonate phones in a rounded rectangular shape that look clean and professional. There's just no other way about it.

I would love a polycarbonate Galaxy Nexus with a great battery and the new Exynos and other internals. That would be better than the iPhone 5 anyday.
How much cleaner could the s3 be? It's got very little going on, just bigness.
The s3 IS polycarbonate...:confused:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Why?

"Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results"

I've had 6 android phones over 3 years and I was grossly dissatisfied with all of them for innumerable reasons. However I bought into that whole "iSheep," "Hype," "Apple sucks" mindset.

Finally I relented and gave the iPhone a chance, and realized I should have dumped android sooner.

I will never own another android phone. I do not regard it as a good product, and I see nothing in the GSIII to make me change my mind.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Why?

"Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results"

I've had 6 android phones over 3 years and I was grossly dissatisfied with all of them for innumerable reasons. However I bought into that whole "iSheep," "Hype," "Apple sucks" mindset.

Finally I relented and gave the iPhone a chance, and realized I should have dumped android sooner.

I will never own another android phone. I do not regard it as a good product, and I see nothing in the GSIII to make me change my mind.

I thought the same way until I went to the 4s. I saw the gs3 and switched just like that.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Just an anecdote on the other side of the coin here.

My dad has had the iPhone 4S since October 2011. Before that he had the OG Motorola Droid.

Last week, he asked me to sell his iPhone 4S on eBay and decided to buy the Samsung Galaxy S3.

His main considerations were the notification light and Google Navigation. He repeatedly missed important texts/calls because of the absence of the notification light on the 4S, and Waze occassionally gave him bizarre directions.

When he realized he could sell his iPhone for ~$400 and buy a used S3 for ~$400, it was a no-brainer. He gets a larger screen, unlimited 4G LTE, a notification light, and Google Navigation without really spending any money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.