Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orangecrushv

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Dallas
Anyone used the AT&T online unlock request form recently? Does it actually take 5-7 days? I'd like to get this all sorted out before my iPhone 5 shows up on Friday. Would I be better off calling or does that still take a few days? Thanks!

gottafly

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2008
My recent Unlocking experience went very well.

I originally sub,itted the online form/request over a week ago, to which I received NO RESPONSE whatsoever. I checked the IMEI online and a week later still showed as locked.

I then called AT&T on the 800# and a rep too care of the unlock, all over the phone, in less than 5 minutes!!!! Done deal. Got home and plugged in the IMEI # and it showed unlocked before I even connected it to iTunes.

I was so happy I had him unlock a 2nd line while I had him on the phone. I didn't even have to give him any IMEI #'s, just the phone number. He looked and said each was available and took care of it on the spot.

Now I'm not sure how easy it would be unlocking a phone that was not active or tied to a different phone number so I can't vouch for that.

Also, I just bought the iPhone 5 on one of our other lines at the 2year price. I'm hoping to activate it on my line (no contract) and then call to hopefully have unlocked in the same manner. We'll see. It will be purchased under my wife's line (2year renewal) but activated on mine. Hopefully it'll work based on the line it's tied to and not the line it was purchased on.

Last note/question on "unlocking" hotspot feature. Once a phone is "officially" unlocked, how does one get access to the Hotspot feature when using it on another carrier other than AT&T? I believe it is part of the carrier setting on the phone but not 100% sure. Also heard that the iP5 does NOT allow APN editing, so that may not work, period, on the new one!

benguild

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2003
Last note/question on "unlocking" hotspot feature. Once a phone is "officially" unlocked, how does one get access to the Hotspot feature when using it on another carrier other than AT&T? I believe it is part of the carrier setting on the phone but not 100% sure. Also heard that the iP5 does NOT allow APN editing, so that may not work, period, on the new one!

Yes those are carrier dependent settings.
Same with APN editing ... that is allowed by some carriers.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
I have an iPhone 4 (off contract). It has been replaced at an Apple store due to broken front glass.

I submitted an unlock request from AT&T's website on Thursday...my impatience caused me to call and talk to a rep on Sunday afternoon.

The website said allow 5 to 7 days. The rep said to allow 1 to 48 hours.

Should I receive an email...and if not, at what point would you connect to iTunes and do the backup/restore?

Will the fact the iPhone's been replaced by Apple make any difference?

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I have an iPhone 4 (off contract). It has been replaced at an Apple store due to broken front glass.

I submitted an unlock request from AT&T's website on Thursday...my impatience caused me to call and talk to a rep on Sunday afternoon.

The website said allow 5 to 7 days. The rep said to allow 1 to 48 hours.

Should I receive an email...and if not, at what point would you connect to iTunes and do the backup/restore?

Will the fact the iPhone's been replaced by Apple make any difference?

Square Trade replaced mine and I unlocked it the same day that I received the box in the mail. Before I even turned it on.
AT&T wanted to know why the IMEI I was requesting the unlock on had never been used on my account and I told them the truth -- it was a warranty replacement.
That was good enough for them.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Square Trade replaced mine and I unlocked it the same day that I received the box in the mail. Before I even turned it on.
AT&T wanted to know why the IMEI I was requesting the unlock on had never been used on my account and I told them the truth -- it was a warranty replacement.
That was good enough for them.

AT&T never asked me any questions about the different IMEI from the original I purchased, but the phone was replaced about 8 or 9 months ago from Apple, so I'm assuming AT&T knows this is a replacement. Surely Apple sends that information to AT&T.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Surely Apple sends that information to AT&T.

They don't and they don't need to.
AT&T can tell which phones you're actually using on your account.
My point was that mine had never even been used on my account and AT&T still unlocked it so warranty replaced phones should not be a problem.

compg318

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
My recent Unlocking experience went very well.

I originally sub,itted the online form/request over a week ago, to which I received NO RESPONSE whatsoever. I checked the IMEI online and a week later still showed as locked.

I then called AT&T on the 800# and a rep too care of the unlock, all over the phone, in less than 5 minutes!!!! Done deal. Got home and plugged in the IMEI # and it showed unlocked before I even connected it to iTunes.

I was so happy I had him unlock a 2nd line while I had him on the phone. I didn't even have to give him any IMEI #'s, just the phone number. He looked and said each was available and took care of it on the spot.

Now I'm not sure how easy it would be unlocking a phone that was not active or tied to a different phone number so I can't vouch for that.

Also, I just bought the iPhone 5 on one of our other lines at the 2year price. I'm hoping to activate it on my line (no contract) and then call to hopefully have unlocked in the same manner. We'll see. It will be purchased under my wife's line (2year renewal) but activated on mine. Hopefully it'll work based on the line it's tied to and not the line it was purchased on.

When was this? Just spoke to an ATT rep who said they stopped doing it over the phone/through chat on 9/11.

Bakakage

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
When was this? Just spoke to an ATT rep who said they stopped doing it over the phone/through chat on 9/11.

I unlocked mine over the phone on 9/15 recently. I submitted a web form earlier that told me they couldn't find my number even though I was eligible, but there ya go.

Last edited:

compg318

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2008
I unlocked mine over the phone on 9/15 recently. I submitted a web form earlier that told me they couldn't find my number even though I was eligible though, but there ya go.

Well thanks, don't know why I was told this misleading information from the rep. Will try again hopefully. They told me I was eligible but couldn't do it. Been waiting on the form to go through for almost a week.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Well thanks, don't know why I was told this misleading information from the rep. Will try again hopefully. They told me I was eligible but couldn't do it. Been waiting on the form to go through for almost a week.

I was told via chat yesterday that unlocks had to be submitted through the website. The Rep told me this was a recent change as of "a couple weeks ago."

Last edited:

Marley10

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
please applejuice and reno g sendd me the receipts please

taariqmajid1@hotmail.com thank you

----------

please taariqmajid1@hotmail.com

----------

taariqmajid1@hotmail.com thanks

Please Help me Also James4210@gmail.com

----------

Just got my Black 16g iphone 4 AT&T unlocked. Called they did their thing sent me the email, told me to restore, got off phone connected restore BAM! you phone is unlocked. All within 30mins.

Oh I have my oringinal receipt too...I'll scan and make availiable for however wants it..Dated 6/29/2010

Please send it to me : James4210@gmail.com

aggieastrosfan

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
I was told via chat yesterday that unlocks had to be submitted through the website. The Rep told me this was a recent change as of "a couple weeks ago."

I submitted an online request on 9/8 for my 4S that was only active on AT&T a couple of months (company took service back to T-Mobile). Said I would get a response in 5-7 business days. On business day 10 (9/21) I finally called. Of course the reference number I was emailed didn't register in the system at all. The guy on the phone was able to process the unlock over the phone, even waited for the phone restore to complete and the unlock confirmation given. On the 26th (13 business days) I finally received an email that my phone could be unlocked from my online request.

Now the Edge service on T-Mobile in Houston is another subject in itself...

YellowNimbus

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Georgia, USA
Hi Applejuiced or Anyone,

Please help me, do your have any receipts for Iphone3G and Iphone4 ATT receipts? Can email to bryan_6121@yahoo.com ?

My phone has been locked for so many years and hope it can be unlock soon..

Many Thanks for help.

Hey bryan0027, sorry, I'm a little late at replying. We unlocked a few iPhones for free a few months ago as we were testing our system (just do a search, I'm not scamming anyone - we're just ironing out our automated remote unlocking system). If you still have an iPhone you would like unlocked, contact me. We can unlock 2 more phones for free. This will help us in finalizing our set up and make you happy at the same time. Hope that all is well.
p.s. forgot to mention: Your iPhone should be locked to AT&T for this to work, thanks.

Last edited:

YellowNimbus

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2012
Georgia, USA
Hey bryan0027, sorry, I'm a little late at replying. We unlocked a few iPhones for free a few months ago as we were testing our system (just do a search, I'm not scamming anyone - we're just ironing out our automated remote unlocking system). If you still have an iPhone you would like unlocked, contact me. We can unlock 2 more phones for free. This will help us in finalizing our set up and make you happy at the same time. Hope that all is well.
p.s. forgot to mention: Your iPhone should be locked to AT&T for this to work, thanks.

Ok, just was reminded that this was still here. We've just provided our last free unlock and our system has been verified as working, you can check us out here, iphone unlocking. Thanks

If this is something that interests you, we have a new tutorial on how to build a mobile phone unlocking website

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.