Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
Has anyone installed the beta iOS on a Softbank iPhone? If so, does the hotspot option work on the unlimited data plan? Crossing my fingers that it does.

I lived in japan for several years back when Japan was a mobile leader. It is amazing how quickly they have fallen. I have a Docomo Android and a Softbank iPhone 4, and both have incredibly slow and mind numbingly expensive (and VERY restricted) data plans.

I wouldn't call $40 a month for unlimited data expensive or restricted, but that's just me:eek:

pancake1

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
During my years in Japan Docomo owned the place.. best of everything . When the iPhone came out in 2007 , it was seriously lacking most of the Japanese hardware.. beautiful and wonderful, yes but EDGE data would have been a joke there and then.
Now in 2011 they could be a serious force there I think.

askywalker

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2007
I wouldn't call $40 a month for unlimited data expensive or restricted, but that's just me:eek:

4400 yen per month is expensive - especially as this is the only real option. I use enough data that it is worthwhile for me, but most of my colleagues with their iphones are using it just for email - tiny amounts of data. They would be fine on a $15-30 data plan from most countries. From what I see - you either use data and have to pay 4400 yen, or don't use any data (or risk getting killed with their crazy per packet pricing).

And the speeds - I have travelled a fair bit with the last three flavors of iPhone (3G, 3Gs and 4), and Japan and USA have been the worst performing networks. I use voip quite a bit in Canada and Europe - it works very well. But in Japan I have given up - the speeds are very slow and unreliable.

Anyway - been here now for the last 9 months - love Japan, but miss the awesomeness that used to be Japanese mobility. I used to buy all the latest phones from Japan (late 90's, early 00's) and was always blown away by what Docomo, Sharp, NEC were doing. I have my 3GS on Docomo (no packethodai) and my iPhone 4 on Softbank (consistently slow, seem to limit voip and other services)... I have an Experia on Docomo that is pretty lame. I will probably swap out my iPhone 4 for a Galaxy s - as the Galapagos phone is a disappointment .

Certainly not global leaders any longer. Hope they catch up - the world could use some of their NFC and iSeg expertise

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
4400 yen per month is expensive - especially as this is the only real option. I use enough data that it is worthwhile for me, but most of my colleagues with their iphones are using it just for email - tiny amounts of data. They would be fine on a $15-30 data plan from most countries. From what I see - you either use data and have to pay 4400 yen, or don't use any data (or risk getting killed with their crazy per packet pricing).

Softbank requires a flat rate packet subscription with the iPhone. If your colleagues got their iPhones before 11/11/2010 they are also eligible for the Unlimited Packet Discount Plan (not the 4410 yen Flat Plan) that starts at 1029 yen and maxes out at 5985 yen if they use the data. If indeed they are using next to no data they might see some savings with that plan. If not, and they end up going over I hardly see a one time 5985 yen payment as "getting killed."

And the speeds - I have travelled a fair bit with the last three flavors of iPhone (3G, 3Gs and 4), and Japan and USA have been the worst performing networks. I use voip quite a bit in Canada and Europe - it works very well. But in Japan I have given up - the speeds are very slow and unreliable.

I occasionally experience some slowness but for the most part have no complaints. I do speedtest on 3G with both my iPhone 4 and iPad and get regularly excellent results.

I have a Google Voice account set up with Acrobits on the iPhone and it works very well over 3G for both making and receiving calls to the US.

Anyway - been here now for the last 9 months - love Japan, but miss the awesomeness that used to be Japanese mobility. I used to buy all the latest phones from Japan (late 90's, early 00's) and was always blown away by what Docomo, Sharp, NEC were doing. I have my 3GS on Docomo (no packethodai) and my iPhone 4 on Softbank (consistently slow, seem to limit voip and other services)... I have an Experia on Docomo that is pretty lame. I will probably swap out my iPhone 4 for a Galaxy s - as the Galapagos phone is a disappointment .

Congratulations, I celebrated 17 years here last week and was never a fan of the overly complicated, tiny, packed with features one never needed Japanese handsets I owned through those years but to each their own.

I was never happier than when I learned that Apple was giving the iPhone to Softbank since my contract (and family plans) were with them. I waited until the iPhone 4 and have never looked back.

askywalker

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2007
iOS 4.3 and personal hotspot on Softbank

anyone hear whether Softbank is going to support the personal hotspot feature yet? I see many carriers are confirming that it will work - but is often being tied to tethering.

Got an SMS from Softbank yesterday confirming what I had already noticed last week - they upgraded my 'neighborhood' with some new towers. Massive difference in reception for me. Nice! Appreciated getting the official notice...

JapanScott

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2007
Ibaraki, Japan
anyone hear whether Softbank is going to support the personal hotspot feature yet? I see many carriers are confirming that it will work - but is often being tied to tethering.

Got an SMS from Softbank yesterday confirming what I had already noticed last week - they upgraded my 'neighborhood' with some new towers. Massive difference in reception for me. Nice! Appreciated getting the official notice...

I'm curious about this as well. But since they've done nothing to date about USB tethering, I'm not real optimistic about this.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan

My guess is no.

Softbank's network reliability seems to be in serious decline. The network speeds were great when I bought my iPhone 3G when they were first released in Japan. Now, the network speeds are pathetic. I can only imagine how bad it would be if they began to allow tethering and hotspot sharing.

kelvinchristian

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
My understanding, the horizon is a little bit of data at a lower significantly, and is carried out is a big difference between the Japanese CDMA and vanishing is different. Released in the United States in a way, maybe use something Japanese, very little effort to reverse the migration would have an easier time. It would be futile to bring things from Japan, and would require a revision of the device is quite comprehensive.

YouSpoonyBard

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2011
This seems like the most appropriate place to ask for help, but if not direct me to the correct forum.

I'm traveling to Japan for a 3 months stay later this week and I would REALLY like to take my iPhone 4 for all the translation options. I've briefly read through the thread but still have a few questions I want to confirm.

My iPhone is Jailbroken, but do I need to do anything else to it? Besides replace the sim of course.

Speaking of sim, it sounds like it's hard to get one. My fiancee with whom I am staying with is signed up for Softbank, so it sounds like she can get a sim card for me. Can anyone confirm this?

For a 3 month stay should I just suck it up and use wifi only and forget about the data/phone?

When I come back in august to get back on my ATT network all I need to do is switch out the sim again, correct?

To whomever reads this thank you for your time.

charbhuja

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2011
Yeah, just like how we all love to read ignorant comments from people who by their own admission can't be bothered to follow along with the discussion. Brilliant!!

i-Lukephone671

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
:cool::rolleyes:
I travel to japan every month and have my iPhone 4 jailbroken and unlocked with me as well as my iPad.
Here is what I always do:

1. Yes I can use the phone part with my GUAM SIM on roaming(which be very costly) You cannot use yours because it's LOCKED TO AT&T? And softbank only allows their japan issued iPhones to be able to use their SIM. So if your iPhone is only jailbroken, then I suggest should just use the wifi service but note that japan is very strict and most of the time most wifi are password protected.
Ask your friend to just get u a prepaid phone from softbank instead. It'll save you more money this way. Good luck!
(GSM)
This seems like the most appropriate place to ask for help, but if not direct me to the correct forum.

I'm traveling to Japan for a 3 months stay later this week and I would REALLY like to take my iPhone 4 for all the translation options. I've briefly read through the thread but still have a few questions I want to confirm.

My iPhone is Jailbroken, but do I need to do anything else to it? Besides replace the sim of course.

Speaking of sim, it sounds like it's hard to get one. My fiancee with whom I am staying with is signed up for Softbank, so it sounds like she can get a sim card for me. Can anyone confirm this?

For a 3 month stay should I just suck it up and use wifi only and forget about the data/phone?

When I come back in august to get back on my ATT network all I need to do is switch out the sim again, correct?

To whomever reads this thank you for your time.

CanuckInJapan

macrumors member
May 26, 2009
Kanagawa-ken
iPhone 5 to be released on KDDI in Japan - fall 2011

According to "persons involved", KDDI (AU) will be carrying the iPhone 5 this fall in Japan. If this means better iPhone reception in the countryside, I'll be back on AU faster than you can say Jack Robinson.
CNN and Nikkei Business are both carrying the story, so unless KDDI expresses issues a notice of denial, I would say this sounds legitimate.

English article on CNNgo
Original Japanese article on Nikkei Business

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.